Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Meadowlark to be year-round?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fmccormi, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmccormi

fmccormi Oct 24, 2010 Maine
    Beer Trader

Hmm . . . didn't catch this anywhere else, but I just noticed that according to Pretty Things' website, Meadowlark will become year-round, starting in August, 2013: http://www.prettythingsbeertoday.com/wp/our-beers/meadowlark-ipa/

Which is cool, because it never got to upstate NY. Cannot for the life of me understand why it wasn't distributed to my neck of the woods, but hopefully being year-round means I'll be seeing some of it in my future.

2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

While I'm glad for those who like it, I didn't care for it. Average at best comes to mind.

3. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Great news. Great beer.
    Thanks for sharing. (It gets a solid "92" http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18371/82753 ... one less person drinking it means more for the rest of us. ;))

winbassett, cavedave, aasher and 3 others like this.
  4. Goldfishman

Goldfishman Jan 29, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Meadowlark is fantastic i can't wait for this to be around all the time . I find this beer to be well above average .

5. Gatch

Gatch Nov 29, 2006 Massachusetts

Incredibly fantastic news. I had high expectations for this beer going in and needless to say those expectations were exceeded. Phenomenal stuff.

6. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Mar 3, 2010 New York

Year-round Citra/Galaxy IPA? Sign me up. That beer was awesome.

cavedave likes this.
  7. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

One of my best surprises of 2012 hands down.

cavedave likes this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Can't wait to have more of this fantastic beer. Wonderful news. Now if it would just come in more reasonably priced 12 oz. bottles or cans I might buy it as often as Flower Power.

9. fmccormi

Beer Trader

That's how I feel about Jack D'Or. But, for saisons.

I just want an affordable saison in 12oz packs that doesn't suck (in addition to Hennepin, just for some variety).

cavedave likes this.
  10. Gatch

And Ivana Toilet-Seat-Made-Out-Of-Solid-Gold, but its just not in the cards now, is it?

11. jmarce

jmarce May 15, 2011 Connecticut

Meadowlark is one my favorite IPAs, love that galaxy/citra combo. For $8.49 a bomber it will probably just be an occasional purchase for me, 12oz 4 packs would be awesome if they could do that.

fmccormi likes this.
  12. fmccormi

Beer Trader

Yeah but if I keep asking for it, then in theory it'll eventually happen! I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA?!?!

13. koflaherty

koflaherty Nov 11, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I know Dan has said for some time he'd like to make it year round but he can't be sure of the hops. It looks like from the post that its still the case, but at least we'll get another batch in 2013. It went awfully fast the last time and its delicious

fmccormi likes this.
  14. fmccormi

Beer Trader

See judging by the claim that it'll be year-round starting next August, I figured that meant that Dann & Martha must've secured contracts for the hops they need. And maybe (just maybe?) that means that it'll be a little cheaper per unit, if they have a reliable bulk source. It'd be nice if they can brew some of it again before then, though.

But, y'know. All speculation on my part.

15. koflaherty

koflaherty Nov 11, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Did you read the post to linked to? Including the second to last paragraph?

16. fmccormi

Beer Trader

Missed the part about another batch in the spring (so it WILL most likely be back before August) but I'm pretty sure the rest of it is the old description of the beer, written when they first released it. Wasn't it released in July and August of this year? Here's the original blog post from Pretty Things describing it when it was released this summer: http://www.prettythingsbeertoday.com/wp/2012/meet-meadowlark/

17. Gatch

Yeah their post corresponds to the first two batches of this year. So hopefully we will see it again this Spring.

18. fmccormi

Beer Trader

I mean, I could be wrong, but that was my impression. I remember reading all this stuff back in July and being bummed that I was missing it (I was in Brazil at the time), and like I said, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the page that was written for the Meadowlark description at the time of release, and I just noticed today that it now says year-round starting in August, 2013 at the top—which is news to me.

19. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Don't forget Sofie, and...yeah, I got nothing beyond that...

fmccormi likes this.
  20. Gatch

Ahhh, yes, Sofie!

21. fmccormi

Beer Trader

Oh god, I do love Sofie . . . thank you for that. I had forgotten about her, because she only became available in 12oz bottles in my area just a few months ago. And to be honest, I hadn't seen Sofie bombers in Central NY for a year or two before that. So glad she's back, now.

TongoRad likes this.
  22. TongoRad

Beer Trader

Just don't take her for granted. The four packs come and go around here, but I found myself missing them when they were gone for a few months. It's my fave of the GI 12ozers.

fmccormi likes this.
  23. fmccormi

Beer Trader

Yeah. Sofie's great fresh or with a little bit of age (haven't tried it with more than a year or so on it), and Matilda after 1-1.5 years is just f'ing golden.

24. fmccormi

Beer Trader

But, back to Meadowlark. Excited to (probably, hopefully, maybe) see it in my future. And 12oz bottles please, Pretty Things, pretty pretty please.

WeymouthMike likes this.
  25. TongoRad

Beer Trader

I've been eyeing up some Matilda bombers that have been sitting in the cooler case since last spring, but there have been a lot of other beers vying for my attention lately. Hopefully it's still there when I get around to it, with a good head start of aging already. It was really good back when it made its first appearance in the store, that's for sure.

26. TongoRad

Beer Trader

I'm with you 100% on both, but will settle for the first part.

fmccormi likes this.
  27. jodan

jodan Jul 24, 2008 California

I've seen this around a few places in LA, any way to tell how old the bottles are?

cfh64 likes this.
  28. Paquette

Paquette Dec 20, 2000 Massachusetts

Hi,

A few things. First off, you did read correctly and we're trying to go "year 'round" with the Meadowlark as soon as Galaxy makes it to the US again. We've contracted enough for 1,000 bbls. The beer should be ready next August. Second quick point: our host brewery does not offer the possibility to do 12 ounce bottles, or any format other than 22. They used to have the change-over equipment but no longer do. So you'll never see Pretty Things in any such like.

Cheers,

Dann
    email me if you have any further questions like this

fmccormi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe