Meaning behind your avatar

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beerjerk666, Oct 8, 2021.

1. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (2,997) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

So @Resistance88 got me thinking after starting the thread about the meaning behind your @.

What's the special meaning, if any, behind your avatar?

2. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (102) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

I have changed mine already but they're pretty much D Beat bands artwork/albums at this point . First one was Discharge ,one of my favorite bands,and now it's Anti-Cimex which translates into Against Bed Bugs which is also one of my favorite D Beat/ Crust bands. Ill prolly keep changing them as the artwork and my moods are endless , but always loud and angry

@beerjerk666 based on yours michael graves or danzig??

BigIronH, Peach63, Rug and 14 others like this.
  3. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (102) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

@beerjerk666 people are posting about avatars on my thread..shall we conjoin them???? Mods ?

4. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,399) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

My OG and current name were discussed in this thread. I changed by username from the OG Goose Island Logo to this one in I believe January 2020.

Goose Island Prop 2014 was my first "craft" beer, beyond SNPA tried one evening at the Wynn in Vegas (didn't even knew they sold SN in Chicago), or Guinness in Chicago Irish Bars. I was primarily a whiskey drinker starting in high school, but it became too harsh in my mid 40s, so I transitioned to beer and signed up here in the Winter of 2015. Goose Island was my primary Chicago brewer (I believe over 100 beers) I went to my first few years of getting acclimated to different beers and styles.

I was exposed to Revolution in 2018 (beyond Anti-Hero), and really like their beers. My new logo is me holding up my favorite Revolution seasonal release (non Deep Woods), A Little Crazy. I take many beer pictures from my front porch, and the avatar is from the Winter of 2020. I believe that is my forever avatar at this point.

5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,808) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

To quote Cris Carter from his HoF induction speech, "Buckeye born and bred." Alumnus of THE Ohio State University. (The "Math Diplomas - Take One" sign that some wag posted above a toilet paper dispenser in the Math Building men's room years ago certainly proved prophetic, at least in my case.)

Kaito, also Buckeye representin':

[​IMG]

6. BigIronH

BigIronH Champion (844) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Not much meaning other than I love The Munsters. Obviously, Herman is my favorite character. My first avatar was a picture of a cigar next to a stout because when I first started here, for a while all I would post would be a cigar and a stout on WBAYDN. Nothing nearly as complex as I’m sure some of the answers here will be. Cheers.

FLBeerGuy, Peach63, Rug and 21 others like this.
  7. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,935) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

That is a picture of a WWII era Republic P-47 Thunderbolt fighter (at the time the Army Air Corps used the designation P, for Pursuit, for their fighters. The F, for Fighter, came later). It was a good fighter, but it turns out the things were very tough, so got put more into service as the first generation ground-attack planes. Low-level, dangerous, strafing and bombing runs.

You might be a bit more familiar with its namesake, the Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thubderbolt II, known colloquially as the "Warthog". Much like those Thunderbolts, I might not be all that pretty, but put me on a task, and it's gonna take some doing to prevent me from accomplishing it.

8. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,839) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I’m gonna raise hell in the southwest and teach the gringos slobs a lesson.

9. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (602) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

It's just me when a local Mexican place started carrying Smartmouth IPA

Peach63, SLeffler27, Roguer and 13 others like this.
  10. Skabiski

Skabiski Defender (656) Feb 2, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I like zombies and using what you have to make things work.

11. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,135) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Just two of our dogs. There's really no good picture that has all three, so This is a pretty good one of the two boys.

12. beerjerk666

Society Trader

Danzig. Always. NEVER Graves.

Rug, Roguer, AWA and 5 others like this.
  13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,230) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Just a pic of me that one of my daughters 'touched-up' 30+ years ago. So that settles the question.... it's not a weird photo of Elton John.

14. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,229) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Mine is the Greatest American Hero symbol, from one of my favorite childhood shows. I just always liked the symbol. I actually have two different vintage Tees that have the symbol on them as well. You youngsters may not have ever heard of the show, but it was fun and goofy and the theme song, “Believe it or Not” was a big hit, years later parodied on Seinfeld on George’s answering machine (Even that feels long ago now…).

schteve, sulldaddy, Peach63 and 19 others like this.
  15. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,992) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I liked that show…the tune was catchy, and even recently I hear it my head and sing along…Cheers!

Peach63, SLeffler27, Skabiski and 6 others like this.
  16. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,992) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Zombies are cool, and the Doctor creates zombies…plus a great cartoon character/episode…

17. Bigrock

Bigrock Initiate (132) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Represents the toughness and beauty of the world we live in.

A horse crippler cactus in bloom..

18. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Zealot (560) Nov 18, 2008 New York

In 1979 I worked on a loading dock as a 20 year old doing heavy physical labor. At the end of the day at 5PM I'd head across the street to the neighborhood joint and order a Schmidt's in the 12 oz wide mouth bottles. Buddy, the bartender, would pour half of it into a regular glass. In the span of about 20 minutes, I'd down about 5 of them and head out the door taking the bus home. Next day, same thing. Man.... I miss that beer and those days. :rolling_eyes:

19. beerjerk666

Society Trader

Sooo long ago, but it feels like yesterday as I remember both vividly!

20. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,161) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Huge baobab tree and likely average size fellow. I've always been drawn to this picture. Organic scale in action.

Peach63, SLeffler27, SABERG and 14 others like this.
  21. teal

teal Initiate (81) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

I've been involved in trucking and transportation my entire life. I was originally a 4th generation driver but the last 15 years have been in corporate logistics. (I just made a career pivot tho)

Smokey and the Bandit is still a GREAT movie and I love that W900 The Snowman drove.

Jerry Reed is also, a seriously underrated guitar player who seems to be only known (at a large level) for this role and not his playing.

So I've always done the Snowman thing - I just love the movie, trucks, his guitar playing etc. Really not beer connected.

22. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,330) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

I wanted to be original and have an avatar that no one else would be likely to choose.

Peach63, SLeffler27, Roguer and 13 others like this.
  23. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,410) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Back when I was really playing around with photography a lot, I took the photo that became my avatar. It is the one photo I've taken that I'm proud of more than any of my other photos - beer or not.

As I recall, I didn't have a light set up at the time, so a lot of that success hinged on the cloudy weather mid-day light. I've built similar 'scenes' that I've liked quite a bit, but failed to get the correct lighting. I have sense purchases a couple speedlights to better control the lighting in my shots, but don't have the studio space I used to, and thus don't really spend the time on it anymore.

It was also prior to my area having a quality NE IPA producer (or one was just starting up), so I was also super stoked to have some Trillium.

Peach63, Rug, SLeffler27 and 14 others like this.
  24. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,141) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Mine is a picture of a pufferfish I took while snorkeling in Dominica. It looks like it was smiling for me!

Peach63, SLeffler27, JLK7299 and 13 others like this.
  25. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (150) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

There was a conversation on the trading forum years ago about spotting red flags before you wind up in a bad trader situation. One of the comments was to not trade with someone who didn’t have an avatar. The reasoning was that someone who couldn’t bother to add an avatar was someone who didn’t value their account and would be more likely to shaft you on a trade. I’d been on the forum for years without an avatar and had completed dozens of trades without a problem. As a gag, I added my avatar. I never bothered to change it.

26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,890) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Mine is a painting of St Francis of Assissi staring into a skull. Any time you see religious icons or paintings that include skulls it is a reference to the temporal nature of our bodies. The Latin phrase memento mori sums it up well enough, but it's an ongoing reminder that these earthly pleasures only last so long. For myself it holds the double meaning that I need to make the most of every day, but be prepared for when I shed this mortal coil.

27. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Disciple (361) Aug 24, 2020 California

I picked this one because I strongly believe in self-determination and taking personal responsibility for outcomes without the nanny state hovering over me trying to "protect me" or coercing me into support for or participation in social programs I don't believe in. I'm a strong believer in giving back to the community, both in terms of time and money, but I do it on my terms, not based on what some elected social crusaders determine is justified.

28. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Disciple (361) Aug 24, 2020 California

not to mention that it was rare to see a full complement of eight .50 cals, like the P-47 had, instead of the more typical six in many other US fighters, and it could take a lickin' and keep on tickin.

dcotom, Skabiski, Squire and 2 others like this.
  29. basaywhat

basaywhat Poo-Bah (2,021) May 20, 2013 Illinois
    Society Trader

Mine is pretty self explanatory. I am a die hard Chicago Blackhawks fan!

30. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,161) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Buford
    Buford T. Justice said "Junior, there is no way, NO WAY, that you came from my loins. The first thing I do when I get home is punch your momma in the mouth". Hilarious through and through with a fabulous cast.

Skabiski, Squire, beerjerk666 and 5 others like this.
  31. Grounder

Grounder Initiate (108) Jun 20, 2019 Illinois

I am pretty sure mine is self-explanatory.

32. jasonmason

jasonmason Devotee (495) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Society Trader

Mine's a beer pirate. Because I liked it when I first needed an avatar, and I still do.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." H.L. Mencken

Peach63, officerbill, Rug and 13 others like this.
  33. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,281) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

I'm on this site for 20 years 4 weeks from today, writing 'Beerfly' (place) reviews for 19ish of those years give or take.
    I have 1122 place reviews and exactly 0 beer reviews posted.
    In the earlier days, those place reviews were short & sweet.
    I would visit a place and say "they have 12 taps, I had this and this", and maybe talk about food too.

It's somewhat evolved/devolved into extensive note taking about everything they have on tap (name, style, ABV), and the establishment too. Shape of the bar, seating capacity there and tabled across the floor, the room itself, art, flatscreens, samplers, food, cask engines, can/bottle to-go coolers, the scene, the server, and a hundred other things I'm sure most people feel makes the review a TL;DR. I max out the character count on place reviews all the goddamn time and then have to painfully shave things back out of them to make things fit.

Anyway, all of my scribblings are written in 3.5" X 5.5" unlined Moleskin books with an array of different colored Pilot Precise Rolling Ball V5 (extra fine) pens, as shown in my avatar pic. If memory serves, and it do, this pic of the open book with a green, a purple, & a black pen atop is from Choice City Butcher & Deli in Fort Collins, CO, written while Handsome Ed & I were out for the GABF back in '08...

o29, emerge077, Peach63 and 18 others like this.
  34. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Defender (665) May 5, 2015 Illinois

My wifes uncle photoshops birthday e-mail cards every year. Mine started as the "most interesting man in the world". He was kind enough to give me more hair, a better beard and some blondes. I would've preferred brunettes. As they say happens.

35. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,399) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

At the time I switched to my current avatar two years ago, Oskar Blues Bamburana was my third-favorite beer (now ninth), and the Jester King Snörkel was my favorite glass (now third). Even the countertop has changed! Should change my avatar again.

36. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,579) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

A line from one of my favorite characters, Jayne Cobb, from FireFly/Serenity.

schteve, Peach63, SLeffler27 and 10 others like this.
  37. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,230) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I never looked closely and just assumed that was a pic of the real 'interesting man.' So now we know who you are.

38. scott451

scott451 Defender (610) Apr 2, 2009 Canada (ON)

A cap from a Beau's brewing bottle. Tractors are as big part of their iconography. They mostly can everything now, but the tractors remain

Peach63, SLeffler27, SABERG and 10 others like this.
  39. shkin

shkin Initiate (155) Feb 6, 2011 New York

I took a picture of Joan Miró's sculpture in Paris many years ago. Social media at that time was mostly anonymous, so I started using the crop from that photo. I continue using it ever since when a real name is not required.

schteve, o29, Peach63 and 11 others like this.
  40. imtroy703

imtroy703 Devotee (411) Nov 13, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Homebrewery Name and logo.