Meaning behind your handle

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Resistance88, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (102) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Browsing the Show Yoself BAs thread got me curious as to what the meaning behind your Handle on here is?
    This cats been killed plenty times because of his curiosity.

Nothin special behind mine. Born in 88 and have been pushing against all forces since

#1 Resistance88, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2021
  2. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,358) Nov 4, 2015 New York

I'm Mike , & I lived in Port Crane* . - Port, as in a port on the Chenango Canal . Crane, as in Stephen Crane - not the author - the engineer who was in charge of building the canal.

* I moved 2 years ago, but kept the screenname. Inertia, + if some nut-job wants to track me down, let him (It's probably gonna be a "him", eh? :wink:) look there. :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue:
    Original home of Beer Tree Brew Co.:+1:, btw. That's the one thing I miss : being able to walk to the brewery, &/or being able to take my beer to the river, & enjoy the sunset, etc with it .
    Ex :
    [​IMG]

3. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (115) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,935) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

After BA got bought out by the folks who also own Untapped, it no longer made sense to have different names for each platform. So, I adapted, and here we are. I live in Bellingham, I like beer, and I like Thunderbolt airplanes.

5. Rug

Rug Meyvn (1,293) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Well my last name is Ruginski, so my friends have always called me Rug

6. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,944) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I am Raul Mondesi - former LA Dodger (among other teams), and current political prisoner in the Dominican Republic.

7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,878) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Bitterbill, I have used since the old Usenet days. Bitter because my favourite beers were IPAs. Notice that I said were. :wink:

8. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,263) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Roguer has been my nickname for about 25 years, when an older friend decided that my name should simply be pronounced that way - and seeing as he was very popular, it quickly caught on. People at work used to call me that, and I even had a roommate who thought it was my no-kidding name for months (I never told him it was, either; he just assumed).

Only a handful of very old friends still call me by that nickname, but I keep it as a handle whenever I can.

9. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (2,527) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Simply my first name and last name initial. Got nothing to hide.

Cheers!

10. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (659) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I'll play.

I'm an economist by trade. As far as economists are concerned, the perfectly rational human being is homo economicus, i.e. the economic 'man', and such a human does not exist. No one is perfectly rational, devoid of emotion. I adapted that to become, well, beer economicus. The logical extrapolation is that I probably meant homo beericus, like, the beer 'man', but that's not exactly what I was going after. -And, the logical extension that beer economicus would mean the economic beer obviously doesn't make sense. My intention was more for a blending of both, the idea that I am a economic 'beer-man', which should not be taken to mean that I select my beers based on how economic (read: cheap) they are. I certainly do not.

I thought the avatar of Ned offering Homer a deal as Satan was a nice extension of my handle, and also...what a fucking great episode.

11. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,969) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

It’s my name.

Also a village in western Poland (formerly Pomerania) that is home to the Draheim Castle, which was a fortress for a bunch of crusaders (Knights Hospitaller or some shit) ca. 1400s. My name likely comes from that area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stare_Drawsko

Apparently also now a featured location in a video game called Witcher 3.

12. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (102) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

I gotta say i am loving all the replies so far

13. hbbeeremptor

hbbeeremptor Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society

hb - city + beer - :beer: + emptor - "buyer"

I picked emptor because it worked on the level of buyer as a consumer and as an occupation, but also the phrase "caveat emptor": the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,890) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Saint Francis of Asissi Castle Rock Knight. It's my local parish, and I'm in the Knights of Columbus.

15. Bigrock

Bigrock Initiate (132) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Combo reason. Big Rock is the slang name of the small west Texas town I graduated high school from. At the time I was choosing a handle, I was doing a lot of rock work in my landscaping business. Patios, walls, fences, borders, stairs and specimen boulders.

16. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,281) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I like Giannis Antetokounmpo (aka, "The Greek Freak", for those of you that don't follow basketball) and I also happen to love Kriek.

17. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (2,997) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Well, it was the initial of my first name combined with my last name. Really original, huh?
    I have been thinking about changing it for a long time, so it matches the other social media sites I am on...consider that done as of tonight! :heavymetal:

So now it's all about what I love, what I am and what number I associate with the most. Plus ask anyone who knows me personally and they'll tell you i can be a jerk and devilish.

18. mushroomcloud

mushroomcloud Poo-Bah (2,916) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

I picked mine up from Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction long ago.

19. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Man, it is so hard to follow handle changes. I wish below people's handles (on the left hand side of the posts) it gave old handles. At least you haven't switched your avatar - that would really fuck with me. Course, @FBarber knows what I'm talking about. :crazy_face:

20. beerjerk666

Society Trader

I hear ya! Like @BBThunderbolt changing BOTH?!:wink::stuck_out_tongue::laughing:

21. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Yep. Exactly like that. After reading some of his posts and realizing that I knew who it was, the fastest way I had to check was to look at his trading history. :grin:

22. beerjerk666

Society Trader

Well, the only other way would be to go to their profile and see rhe Username History. That is if the BA doesn't have it restricted.

Singlefinpin, bbtkd, JayORear and 6 others like this.
  23. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Hehe, so, side story. I have only participated in one BIF, and that was the 007 NBS that beertunes ran. You also participated. During that time I remember clicking on his handle to look at his profile, and I saw the trade %, and I said, whaaattt??? that makes no sense. I read, I searched BA, made sense. Anyway, I won't ever forget that. So, it's the quick way for me to check. :wink:

24. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,621) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Friends have called me Squire for so many years their kids and grand kids think that's my real name. When friends induced me years ago to join some internet hobby boards of which they were members I simply used the name they already called me.

25. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,790) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

26. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (109) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Back in the late 90’s there were these things called internet chat rooms, mIRC, not AOL fuck those. Me a few buddies started a local chat room and being a young f head I started going by lorddevn being my first name is devin. Therefore my internet persona has been lorddevn ever since. I’m not nearly as savvy computer wise as I once was and nobody knows what mIRC is these days but I’ve kept it for over 20 yrs now.

27. Nugganooch

Nugganooch Poo-Bah (2,126) Jan 13, 2011 California
    Society Trader

My first avatar on this site was Jason Mewes
    [​IMG]

28. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,247) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Hey! It’s always a picture of me!!

29. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (687) Mar 28, 2009 California

Got my name because I like IPAs. Would probably have thought of something different had I realized I would be a fairly active member on here. Thought BA was just for looking up beers.

my avatar is my favorite character of one of my favorite movies: Mickey from Snatch.

a side note to the movie snatch. When I first moved out of my house my TV used the rabbit ear antenna. It was more if a hassle to watch tv so I just watched snatch over and over. I would just pause it and just resume it throughout the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#29 GetMeAnIPA, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  30. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,808) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

My name is Tom, and I am a certified and rostered Director of Christian Outreach (DCO) in the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. I could probably have come up with something more clever for a handle; however, after a mid-life career change that involved selling my home in Columbus, moving to St. Paul, and enrolling full time at Concordia University for two-plus years, I figure I've earned the privilege of using my title whenever I can.

And for the record, this is my "forever" avatar. (Well, except for Christmas, Epiphany, Easter, Dia de Muertos...)

31. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,399) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

I have a very limited "social media" footprint (Beer, White Sox, Vegas, and Investing over 25 years, six sites total). My OG Name here, dukeandduke, was from the first social media website I participated in nearly 25 years ago (The Motley Fool, an investing site). It was not for Duke University (or Duke BB), but rather for the Duke brothers (Randolph and Mortimer) in Trading Places, an early 1980s movie. The Duke Brothers also appeared in Coming to America.

I changed from dukeandduke to ChicagoJ both here and on Rate Beer last year, primarily because dukeandduke held no relevance to beer. I gave little thought to the name when first registering. Some may say I gave little thought to my new name. :grin:

Chicago is where I have lived my entire life (in city limits, never been away for more than I believe 17 days, home is home). J is the initial for my first name, Jason. I do like to focus on Chicago beers from my favorite breweries, so it has that connection for me in general, and especially in NBW/NBS/WBAYDN/Style Tasting threads.

@dcotom - I look forward to your Advent WBAYDN threads and Avatar!

32. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Man, I used to change my avatar about monthly. Then I had the "No FOMO' sign for a long time. There used to be a dude, I think we joined within a few months of each other (he was from either Connecticut or Rhode Island) who would change his avatar if not daily, at least weekly. Posted a lot too, like in every thread. I'm spacing on his screen name, wait, maybe Shogo-something. Shogokowada? Haven't seen him on here in years.

33. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

If you look at the users profile I think it lists former names. And, ya can only change it once a year. It's a perk of being a Society Member.

34. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,941) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

Mine’s pretty easy. Guinness was/is one of my favorites for a long time and the number is the year I’m born. I use it on all platforms…it just seems to fit me.

The avatar i change like socks, but I think Norm is gonna stay for awhile. I liked that guy.

35. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,839) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I’m Shanex online because I like some anonymity and Anglos have a hard time to pronounce my real first name.

36. BigIronH

BigIronH Champion (844) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Big Iron because:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    H because: Harley.
    Cheers.

37. Troy-Hawaii

Troy-Hawaii Meyvn (1,119) Jun 15, 2015 Hawaii

Mine is pretty obvious as my name and where I am from. Being a small State in the middle of the Pacific I figured someone has to represent this place. We may not get all the great beers you do, but we do like our beer!:grin:

38. Jack_14

Jack_14 Aspirant (269) Nov 2, 2019 Italy
    Trader

First name Giorgio.
    Here I put my nickname and jersey number from when I was playing basketball. The date is also "celebratory", I'm class of 1987.

39. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (2,527) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

ShogoKawada2?

40. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (602) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

It's an aberration of Mr. and my true surname.