Melvin Brewing closes down in San Diego

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by PNW, Feb 18, 2020.

1. PNW

PNW Initiate (156) Dec 23, 2019 Washington
    Society Trader

2. IceAce

IceAce Savant (921) Jan 8, 2004 California

Just saw this on the West Coaster site today.

Sad news indeed.

3. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (162) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

This never seemed like a great idea to me anyways. Melvin is pretty average and to expand into a high rent area in San Diego seemed like a bad idea. I’m sure the 10 barrel is struggling as well but at least they got Budweiser money.

4. mactrail

mactrail Poo-Bah (9,975) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Society Trader

I walked in, looked around for a beer list, a hint of welcome, but it was just the wall of noise from the wretched sound system. So I unlocked my bike and headed on. You have to have a little oasis of calm and pleasure if you're going to make it in that part of San Diego where the cesspool laps at the shores of downtown.

5. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (210) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Melvin is a cesspool itself. Why anyone would give them a penny, I do not know.

putonyourwalkingshoes likes this.
  6. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (170) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

Whats the story on this?

7. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (210) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

KevSal likes this.
  8. Doma

Doma Initiate (37) May 19, 2019 California
    Deactivated

BOLTSPRIDE and SP23 like this.
  9. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (191) Jul 29, 2016 California

Or we could put our money and support into other places not run by complete tools instead.

Also, is 2018 supposed to be a long time ago?

10. Aztec_Chris

Aztec_Chris Initiate (69) May 7, 2015 California

I went to the Alpine taproom last summer on my way to Yellowstone. The food was a average and the beer was decent but the location was awesome.

Never went to the San Diego place because I’d rather support breweries that started in San Diego.

11. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (469) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Didn't know about the sexual misconduct just that there beer sucked all around. Mason Ale works sucks just as hard if not worse; only reason it's still around is because it's Urge Gastropubs operation. I can point out at least 2-3 other operations in Miramar that will be on the chopping block soon

12. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (686) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Legacy, Little Miss, Rough Draft

13. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (220) Jun 13, 2006 California

Legacy falls into the "worst beer I've had since I moved to San Diego county"; along with Iron Fist and Indian Joes. The other worst ones have since closed.

14. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (161) Aug 30, 2007 Texas

How will the Cartels launder their money....

KevSal, tyrsis and BOLTSPRIDE like this.
  15. honkey

honkey Disciple (333) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Brewery Trader

And now they have a sales manager ranting on Twitter about how brewer’s jobs aren’t that hard. I guess it should be no surprise considering he’s only worked for AB, Elysian, and other similarly large operations that he’s out of touch with the reality of what it’s like to work production in the craft segment.

MonkeyBread and smutty33 like this.
  16. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (145) Feb 25, 2013 California

what this person's handle?

17. honkey

honkey Disciple (333) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Brewery Trader

Mr_Encouraged1

18. hikanteki

hikanteki Initiate (92) Oct 11, 2013 California
    Trader

Well, that's a shame/notshame. I went last year and the burger was fine, beer was good, $20 for a burger/beer/crowler of 4x8 was a steal. But I found it odd that an out of state brewery went to the trouble of opening up in California, but chose an already saturated and rather spendy market to start.

19. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (221) May 1, 2010 California

Yep. This would have been more exciting 5 years ago but things have changed a lot since then.

20. carnevoodoo

carnevoodoo Initiate (35) Oct 10, 2007 California

It seems that a lot of breweries react very slowly to market changes. Like Green Flash and the facility on the East Coast.