Memphis NE IPA styles?

Discussion in 'South' started by jivy26, Dec 7, 2017.

1. jivy26

jivy26 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Louisiana

So I recently moved from Virginia to Memphis for my job and it's a drastic change in the beer offerings to say the least. I've looked on all of the Facebook pages of breweries located here but can't find one that even does a draft release of the style.

I know Bearded Iris, but that is a 3 hour drive I'm not willing to drive for beer. Is there somewhere I'm missing that does a decent NE IPA?

Thanks in advance.

2. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (87) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

Man, I don't think there are any. Bearded Iris and Southern Grist rule the roost when it comes to hops in TN.

We have a couple over here in Little Rock if you ever make it out this way. There are definitely some in Louisiana like Parish and Great Raft.

3. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (247) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

You don’t get bearded iris in Memphis? That’s weird

4. jivy26

jivy26 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Louisiana

No we don't asked on their Twitter and they said it's going to happen just no time frame.

5. KWD

KWD Initiate (42) Oct 6, 2008 Tennessee

I don't know of anything in particular. Ghost River has some good IPAs at their taprooms. Wiseacre, idk. Memphis Made is hit or miss on any-style IPAs being good. High Cotton, idk.

Ghost River or Wiseacre are the most likely two to have it, but you'd have to be at the taproom to find out.

Also, super late reply, i know.

6. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Initiate (99) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

Ghost river blows IMO. Wiseacre has great things, gotta get up to get down is a great coffe stout and adjective animal is an amazing dipa but not NE style. Southern Probibition has some good ipa offerings that are readily available in Memphis. You could try meddlesome brewery, I haven’t had anything from there but I’ve heard good things. That was a long reply to say there are really no true NE style IPAs in memphis

VABA likes this.
  7. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (90) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Resurrecting an old thread as I’m traveling to Memphis today. Wondering if any Memphis breweries are doing NEIPAs now? TIA

8. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Initiate (99) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

No such luck my friend. Wiseacre and meddlesome have some good varieties if you’re into that kind of thing.

Squire and Henryb22 like this.
  9. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,020) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

No locals that I know of... Braxton Brewing has one on the shelf over in Jackson called Tropic Flare that's really juicy and nice....

10. ElChuques

Arkansas gets Toppling Goliath now. You could drive to Jonesboro and snag some of those haze cans.

I’d call first, tho.

Henryb22 likes this.
  11. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,020) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Are you serious, Clark? Did NOT know that... I will gladly drive to Jonesboro for some TG... any store suggestions?

ElChuques and Henryb22 like this.
  12. ElChuques

Super duper serious. I don’t get that far east often, but I’ve had decent luck at Poinsett Package in the past.

Fire, Skulls & Money has been my favorite so far with Sosus being a close Second.

Tilley4 likes this.