Metro DC Brewery Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by SlothB77, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

2. Hatfield_223

Hatfield_223 Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2013 Virginia

How much space did Sehkraft have that was dedicated to brewing? As nice as it would be to have Aslin nearby (I live in VA Square) that particular space doesn't really seem set up to accommodate their needs, especially as they continue to grow. And the rent is probably ridiculously expensive.

3. LuisCarruthers

LuisCarruthers Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2015 District of Columbia

what is the tipping situation at the current Aslin growler setup? tip as you would at a bar or tip as you would at Treehouse or bottle shop (wouldn't)?

4. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,638) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

You're probably right, but a man can dream! :grinning:

tacosandbeer and thomas2357 like this.
  5. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

In that case, I'm hoping Tree House moves in there.

VABA likes this.
  6. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,638) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

7. moonbrews

moonbrews Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2010 Virginia

Aslin can release on Thursday. Let the shit show commence (again).

8. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

If you don't like the way Aslin does things, simply wait a week.

Dirtyhands, Darwensi and Gumbo_gravy like this.
  9. thomas2357

thomas2357 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2011 Virginia

I appreciate that Aslin isn't complacent and if something isn't working, they move quickly to try something different.

Now if I were them, I wouldn't announce anything until the canning was completed and successful.

grover37 likes this.
  10. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

I'm dropping off my chair around 10am tomorrow

The prices for the cans are quite a bit cheaper than growlers/crowlers and the bottles, for an IPA:
    can - $0.27/oz
    bottle - $0.39/oz
    growler - $0.38/oz

grover37 likes this.
  11. jfclark

jfclark Initiate (0) May 2, 2012 New York

Ugh chairs....

fire34fighter likes this.
  12. scottDC

scottDC Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2013 District of Columbia

Considering Aslin has a neighbor who frequently calls the city about the lines, I don't think the Tired Hands empty chair thing is going to happen here.

Too bad they gave up on tickets so soon, it probably would have worked if they staggered the pickup windows.

13. downesadam

downesadam Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2016 Maryland

*Cross Posting*

Looking for a little input from some Aslin locals:
    Driving up from Berlin to head to Deep Creek this weekend. I was thinking of stopping by Aslin (and maybe Beltway Brewing?) to fill up some growlers for the weekend.
    Should I expect significant wait times at either brewery at Open on a Friday?
    I've done my fair share of can releases at other breweries but haven't been to these two locations. From what I hear about Aslin, their keg release each day is pretty small (3 per day?).
    I just want to see if it's worth the extra hour out of the way. I have to sell the fiance on the detour if it is worth it.

Cheers and thanks for any input!

14. i_run_far

Deactivated

Really hard to say what the lines will be like on Friday at Aslin (never been to Beltway), I'm thinking there will be a pretty long line. I'm guessing there are going to be people getting cans to trade on Thursday and then filling growlers for personal consumption on Friday. They have been doing about 3 kegs per day of each beer but they said something about smaller yields this week so who knows, probably best to check back on Thursday or Friday and see what quantities and beers are available. That said, if you can get there like an hour before opening, you should be fine.

downesadam likes this.
  15. i_run_far

Deactivated

The tickets were preferable by me for sure. I think the main issues with the bottle pickup last time was the party (in-house pours), growler fills and bottle pick up all occurring at the same time and only having 2 pick up days. They needed to have more people helping with the bottle pickups, more pick up days or longer hours (some dedicated to pick up only) and only 2-3 different beers. I got my bottles on Friday and there wasn't much of a wait.

16. scottDC

Anyone try 3 Stars' Star Dust IPA? They're making good sours these days, but the IPAs haven't been great.

Gumbo_gravy likes this.
  17. scottDC

Update: It's actually pretty good. There's zero bitterness at all and it makes the mouthfeel kind of odd, almost like drinking flat beer (carbonation seems normal, though). It smells amazing and has a classic mosaic flavor. None of the off flavors i've gotten from their other hoppy beers.

Gumbo_gravy and hoppytobehere like this.
  18. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (170) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I wasn't really a fan of DDH Two to the Dome, but their other IPA's have been pretty decent recently. I'll admit I used to be the biggest 3 Stars hater, but their beers are without a doubt improving. It shows they care, so I can't help but to support them. I'm sure hanging with the Other Half guys are helping as well.

Funkyard Dog was awesome. I can't think of many sours produced locally that is better than that one.

scottDC likes this.
  19. grover37

grover37 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia

^^ Thanks for the notes, guys. I have given them so many chances and have been so consistently underwhelmed that I don't even bother most of the time anymore. Will try these two though. Funkyard is an overpriced shelf turd, so no rush...

20. dalizzie

dalizzie Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2016 Virginia

Personally, I've been tipping. From what I understand, they still only make a server's salary and work for tips.

21. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Somewhat surprisingly Lost Rhino And 3Stars, with average to below average shelf beers, have stellar sour programs. Ricky Rose was better for me than FD, but its still worth a pour for anyone who hasn't tried it.

22. scottDC

3 Stars' DDH Pounding Trees is pretty decent, too. They seem to be finding a good niche; they're never going to be a brewery that people line up for, but they make solid stuff and are a nice option for locals who want something better/fresher than typical shelf beer.

23. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I just had Flying Dog Snake Dog bottle at 930 club tonight and was happily surprised with how good it tasted.
    I've had plenty of FD offerings before some ok and/or above average but a lot fell flat.
    Tonight snake dog:
    Felt well balanced and the malt bill really played nicely off the hop note. I went back for seconds. I'd given it a solid 3.75-4.00. Definitely not how I remember it tasting

24. jacewg

jacewg Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 District of Columbia

Yup. Very solid now. Added Citra, Simcoe, and Mosaic.

25. grover37

grover37 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia

^ They updated the Pale Ale a few years back, and I remember it being a huge upgrade then as well. Glad to see they are changing with the times. Snake Dog used to be a bitter mess - and I thought that well before the whole low-IBU craze started.

26. Darwensi

Darwensi Initiate (162) Sep 7, 2007 New York
    Trader

Truth. This beer did not suck.

27. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I haven't had that beer in years and will have to revisit, but this is exactly why I think it would be helpful for Beer Advocate to have a function that allows you to see a rating for beers that filters by time period...e.g. what is it's score for the past 12 months, as compared to now when you get an overall score over many years.

pmarlowe and Dirtyhands like this.
  28. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

That's a good idea, esp for tracking changing tastes even if the beer is the same. If the beer is radically different the brewery could do a Stone 2.0 to make clear they've changed the recipe.

29. i_run_far

Deactivated

Do you have any idea how long ago they added those hops to the recipe? Their website just has warrior and columbus listed.

30. jacewg

jacewg Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 District of Columbia

A couple months ago as far as I know. I asked the same question about their website. The 20th anniversary of Snake Dog is coming up shortly and they plan to do a big media push around it, I'm told.

31. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina

My sister lives in DC and is coming down to visit me in Charleston next weeked. Any good IPAs/DIPAs she should bring? I heard DC gets single cut now which would be cool. TIA.

32. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Singlecut Workers Are Going Home IIPA is on shelves around town right now, that would be my #1 choice, particularly for beers you don't have to stand in line for. Union Double Duckpin might make for a nice consolation prize too.

33. Henryb22

Awesome, what are some places she could find it? I know Veil doesnt make it out of Richmond but does Triple Crossing or The Answer?

34. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Craft Beer Cellar on H St., Yes! Organic Market in Eastern Market, Odd Provisions in Columbia Heights are all places I know either have or had it. It's not cheap, fyi, and you're looking at $7 a can at least. We occasionally get some Triple Crossing and Veil stuff on tap up here, but no cans.

35. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (170) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Dominion Wine and Beer in Falls Church is you best bet to get Triple Crossing stuff. They have a crowler machine, so that is an option. They don't have any TC stuff now, but they pretty much get the largest allotment in the area. In the past month, there has basically been a dedicated line for Paranoid Aledroid. The lists updates a couple times a week, so just check here > http://dominionwineandbeer.com/whats-on-tap-2/

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  36. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia

OR just have her stop in Richmond on the way down. Triple does can releases on alot of Fridays. Answer always has crowlers available for the most part. And if you're lucky there could be some Veil cans left on a Friday

37. Henryb22

She's flying unfortunately. I have spring break coming up and depending on snow at snowshoe might make a stop in Richmond before heading back home to KY. Thanks though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.