1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Middle Brow Bungalow

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Quilentro, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (239) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

2. capnmike

capnmike Initiate (175) Dec 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Can’t wait to check it out!

nickMB likes this.
  3. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (581) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

1st- I'm pulling for these guys, more so after reading that article.
    2nd- Steve Zissou looks years younger
    3rd- I'm going to be hesitant to use a credit card at a place employing people "battling addictions". I like giving people the benefit of the doubt, but addictions can be ruthless and expensive...(unless these people are recovering truck chasers, that addiction I get).

nickMB and SeanBond like this.
  4. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Initiate (189) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois

I'm going to go check it out Saturday. A new spot in my neighborhood.

nickMB and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  5. nickMB

nickMB Aspirant (280) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois
    Industry

I hope ya’ll give us a chance, we got a lot of fun and interesting stuff planned for the space and the hopeful garden patio. We’re gonna start fillin those foeders soon and will have some fun stuff rippin out of em every few months. As well as some cool collabs coming at ya. Also the pizza is fuckin killer (bias BS aside).

As for concerns with credit & at-risk folk, we plan to have a work coordinator/social worker. There’s 50 other jobs & skills there for people that aren’t waiting a table. We’re conscience of at risk people and money and/or alcohol concerns. It’s esentially a bread bakery & coffee shop till noon. I assure you we wouldnt jeopardize our business, too much time and money was spent to arrive here.

migue81, NNN, THANAT0PSIS and 11 others like this.
  6. HouseofWortship

Trader

Apparently it's a big enough concern that the news article was changed after my post with the "battling addiction" replaced by "at risk of gun violence."

7. nickMB

Industry

There’s a long story there but it wasn’t you or I that got the headline changed. I believe it was mentioned and quoted out of context in the article. Again, we’re not going to jeopardize our business or put people with addictions issues in jeopardy to fall off the wagon. We’re trying to break the stigma, and help people out. People are people

8. Socalfan21

I enjoyed my trip to MB on Saturday. Honestly, the beer wasn't the highlight for me and that isn't a bad thing. I enjoy eating more than I do drinking beer. The bread is probably one of the best loaves ive had in chicago. I think it may rival bavettes in terms of table bread. it was incredible. The pizza was good but really what made the pizza stand out was, again, the crust and dough.

The beer was solid. I enjoyed the Brett IPA and the Nelson hopped IPA but the food was what made the experience really good. I want to go back for brunch to try those toasts they have. I would also love to try their coffee. I will be back.

9. chicagoTC

chicagoTC Initiate (126) May 23, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Got up to the Bungalow on Sunday and had a great experience. The bread with sardines is fantastic, if that's your thing. Loved the Nelson IPA on the menu. Ran into my friends having their morning coffee and reading the paper. Really cool vibe in there as it's not your typical brewery where you go for beer and that's it. You can show up for breakfast or read a book with a beer. Can't wait to kick it on the patio!

10. Ferocious

Ferocious Aspirant (233) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

You don't have to defend yourself to this troll. Anyone that's not 70 should know of the fraud protections associated with their credit/debit cards. If someone is losing sleep about their physical card being compromised, their paranoia is overblown. You're far more likely to have a payment processor breached and your card/PII used by sophisticated fraudsters.

I went to Middlebrow this weekend. Really enjoyable bread. Nelson crush was terrific. I loved the margherita pizza, but not the sauce on it. It skewed too sweet for me. That patio is going to be awesome this summer.

11. nickMB

Industry

Not to turn this into pizza-advocate but are you by any chance from the northern or western burbs originally? We didn’t exactly model the sauce on anything but we’re south side/suburban creatures raised on Aurelio’s & Palermo’s 95 so we lean a certain way on the sweetness of the tomatoes we buy. I have noticed the sweetness does waffle a bit so hopefully if you have another it won’t be so sweet. Thanks for stoppin in, again, we got like 5 or 6 of our 11 taps filled, we’ll have a lot more beer stuff goin in a few weeks.

12. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (239) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Question party!

- Will there be guest taps?
    - Will you do any charity events?
    - What’s coming up on the beer release schedule (quad grain?!)?
    - Are there going to be canned fish / beer pairing suggestions?
    - Are kids allowed for brunch?
    - Is there / will there be to go beer?

Ferocious likes this.
  13. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Aspirant (248) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

This so brings back memories of my days living in Homewood, when my friends and I would argue about who had the better sauce between Aurelio's and Palermo's (I'm personally a much bigger fan of the former).

Either way, I'll have to try a pizza next time I'm in. A buddy and I stopped in on opening night, and as with many opening nights, the service had its flaws. Everyone was very nice, but a couple of our orders were forgotten and needed to be reminded. But again, that's something expected opening week, so I'm not holding it against MB. My friends did go on a Saturday evening, and found it to be extremely crowded, which I expect from the location (its funny how 6 years has changed things on stretch of Armitage). That will most likely be the thing that prevents me from going regularly, but good for the business.

I hope that Bungalow lager will be available year round though, as I'll be picking that up to go regularly.

kbergen28, nickMB and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  14. nickMB

Industry

Ya the waits are a bummer. We weren’t really expecting it or planning for it. It’s been crazy but you could have worse problems as a business owner. Hopefully the hype dies down on the shiny new toy or at the very least be easier in a couple months when we double the capacity with the outside (permit permitting). Bungalow is on now and forever. It will probably be the only beer that’s on year round.

Will there be guest taps? - Maybe one or two. Cider/mead and maybe a guest beer.
    - Will you do any charity events? - so many it’ll be annoying
    - What’s coming up on the beer release schedule (quad grain?!)? - we put the 4 grain our this weekend I think (I was at 2nd shift). But other beers, nothin too crazy just trying to get some standards goin but one I’m excited about is a a twist on a mild for fans of FW DBA.
    - Are there going to be canned fish / beer pairing suggestions? In due time you bet ya.
    - Are kids allowed for brunch? Kids all day, everyday. we got high chairs, colored pencils and even a kids table up front in the lounge with coloring paper.
    - Is there / will there be to go beer? We always have our regulars to go in cans and plan to do some special releases as the months/years go.

croush, kbergen28, Ferocious and 3 others like this.
  15. HouseofWortship

Trader

-If I combined my desire to visit Bungalow with my obligations to take the wife out on Valentine's Day into one trip, how many of us will be happy the next day?

16. Socalfan21

In the summertime, I will definitely walk up there in the morning for coffee in the mornings.

nickMB likes this.
  17. capnmike

capnmike Initiate (175) Dec 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

*scans response for the words “cobra” and “style”...

*doh*

nickMB likes this.
  18. Ferocious

Ferocious Aspirant (233) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I'm actually from Michigan so I wasn't baptized to any regional Chicagoland pizza affiliation.

I'm surprised all the sweetness was exclusively from the tomatoes. I think I generally like sauces that skew a little more herby or robust. That pepperoni was good quality. Should be a mandatory move if you opt for that pie.

nickMB likes this.
  19. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (469) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I was baptized with Barraco's, Aurelio's, and Palermo's. Figuratively and probably literally if I asked my parents. I lean that way for sauce. This paired with all the bread/crust advocacy, not to mention a lot of respect for the social outreach/charity has MB moved to the top of my list for a visit next time I'm in town. From someone who works in the mental health field, thank you. The struggle for people of all walks of life to right the ship and make ends meet is very real.

20. kodt

kodt Zealot (584) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

Aurelio’s is objectively the best pizza.

That is all.

21. croush

croush Crusader (705) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Had Aurelio's with my wife's family that are from south suburbs and it was not a very good pizza at all. Probably one of my least favorite. It definitely has to do with the sauce in terms of why I don't care for it.

On another note - I haven't been to the Bungalow, but sounds like an interesting spot to check out. And big bonus on kids being welcome!!!

nickMB and bigdogdeebs like this.
  22. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (313) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I enjoyed my Bungalow stop this past Saturday. Good crowd but not to where you couldn’t get a table or seat (2pm). It’s a great in terms of space, natural light, and decor. Parking was free and relatively easy as well. I liked the Citra brut the most and thought the Nelson Crush was solid. The lager was as expected though the Brett IPA had a chemical taste to it (couldn’t place it. Some type of marker or plastic aroma from childhood was coming through to me in taste). Not liking one beer isn’t a big deal though. Overall a very good experience with some understandable kinks to work out with service (it’s been under 2 weeks after all). I look forward to going back and trying the bread and a pizza on my next visit

nickMB, Quilentro and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  23. nickMB

Industry

Outta curiosity, what’s yr take on cilantro? the bru-1 hop, spelt and brut give it an insanely herbaceous fruity nose that I love but one employee gave the same review you did. She said I don’t know, I’m weird, cilantro takes like soap to me. I’m not working on a Charlie always sunny type theory, just wondering.

BuffaloBill12 and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  24. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (780) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

You're implying that Bungalow Lager and a FW DBA/Mild-like beer will be on year-round? I'm there.

Always liked Robyn, but these new offerings have me excited, plus I'm always seeking a non-deep dish pizza (don't kill me, other Chicago-area BAs).

#24 THANAT0PSIS, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  25. nickMB

Industry

I mean we got a foeder just sittin their waiting for some classic styles....Wink wink. also deep dish sucks, OG Burt’s which is closer to a pan is the only thing worth a damn as is its offspring pequods. The rest is novelty trash for tourists, though I sometimes have enjoyed malnatis.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  26. HouseofWortship

Trader

There is no such thing as bad pizza, only bad people. Even that public school sheet pizza back in the day had redeeming qualities. The best pizza is quite simply whichever one is in front of you.

27. Socalfan21

Malnatis is prob the only deep dish I will eat. I actually enjoy Pequods thin crust... never was a fan of the pan pizza. Its too much dough.

nickMB likes this.
  28. chicagoTC

chicagoTC Initiate (126) May 23, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Maybe I'm in a bubble but everyone I know from Chicago will seek out thin crust 99 times out of 100 before deep dish. While I like Burt's/Pequods, Lou's, and Bartoli's, it's not something I'm dying to have all the time.

I've always believed Chicago is somehow underrated as a pizza town due to the high quality of different styles we have here. Dante's, Piece, Pete's, MIchael's, Bebu, Coalfire, the aforementioned deep dish places. The variety is what makes it a great pizza city.

29. HouseofWortship

Trader

Yeah, deep dish is more of an occasional thing or as nickMB pointed out, something marketed towards tourist. Assuming Chicagoans only eat deep dish pizza is like assuming Italians only eat spaghetti....

jaysker95 and chicagoTC like this.
  30. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (984) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

*feels a disturbance in the food Force*

Oh no, the 'ol "only tourists eat deep dish" rumor! I don't think that's true at all (I know plenty of Chicagoans, myself included who like deep dish as much if not more than thin), it's just that eating 10 pounds of cheese in one sitting will tear your insides apart. I also love Mexican food with the fire of a thousand suns, but I'm not eating that 24/7 either, because my stomach won't allow it.
    Exactly. Moody Tongue makes a phenomenal 12 layer cake, but I'd look like Homer Simpson if I had it regularly.
    Basically this^^ I don't understand why people get tribal about pizza; it's all fucking great (and yes, I like NY pizza perfectly fine too). Thinner pizzas lend themselves better to hanging out, drinking beer, etc., though. I'd never get deep dish at a brewpub, that's just asking to end the night as soon as you leave. :grin:

31. nickMB

Industry

How bout we change it to only tourists eat uno & due? And now that I think of it, growing up in south burbs, I ate a fuck ton of Louisa’s (which is probably the best deep in hindsight).

bgrzywa2, BuffaloBill12 and SeanBond like this.
  32. SeanBond

I've never had either, so that feels a little better. :wink:

(I want to try Uno's just out of curiosity, but you're 100% right on those, because that's not even a neighborhood local people are usually hanging in anyway)

I grew up mostly on thinner crusts (D'agostino's, Pat's, Art of Pizza, etc. Hell, I still swear by Chuck E. Cheese, come at me), so I'm definitely not hating on 'em.

33. croush

croush Crusader (705) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Uno & Due are good too. But, if you like Aurelio’s, your palate is already suspect. :wink: (My wife’s Chicago Heights family likes both Aurelio’s and Uno/Due, so go figure.)

After not having Chuck E Cheese for 20+ years and then going there quite a few times for kids birthday parties, I actually was impressed and liked it. But, I think they salt the hell out of everything they put in the pizza, so that’s probably it.

SeanBond likes this.
  34. HouseofWortship

Trader

I'm not sold on eating pizza from a place that has a rat as a mascot....I could go dumpster diving behind Uno's for the same effect.

35. SeanBond

Dude, his full name is Charles Entertainment Cheese (true story), how is that not awesome?

jaysker95, Jaycase, croush and 2 others like this.
  36. jmk

jmk Initiate (79) May 8, 2008 Illinois

“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

pudgym29, jaysker95, Jaycase and 6 others like this.
  37. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (313) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I haven't personally had that experience with cilantro, though you're probably on to something with it just being the way my palate is interacting with a particular flavor note.

Chicago does have a lot of great pizza and there is certainly more variety than we get credit for. I wouldn't say that Chicago measures up to New York as far as pizza goes, but it's still very easy to get a 7/7.5 ten slice everywhere you look in the city and suburbs. I like Lou's and Pequod's even more, but those pies are too heavy on a Saturday night when you want to try a few hazies as well. Thin/Tavern is much preferred on those nights

38. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Aspirant (248) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

@nickMB I never had Robyn, but please tell me it was named after the artist. #fembot

SeanBond likes this.
  39. SeanBond

I always think of her, too.

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  40. nickMB

Industry

A unique strong blonde, with barrel aged variants like show me love, cobra style & who’s that girl....nah, must be coincidence. super bummed we can’t get the bier de miel (come get yr honey) done in time for her show.

mbockstruck30 and THANAT0PSIS like this.