Mikkeler Hires First Outside CEO

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by unlikelyspiderperson, Oct 8, 2020.

1. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,558) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

https://mikkeller.com/news/mikkeller-hires-first-outside-ceo

I never fully understand how Mikkeller is so popular but they get a lot of love. Interesting to see how this transition goes for a brand that is so heavily focused on one personality. Seems like a good fit though and maybe it will mean that some more of their spontan series start showing up again

Roguer, mikeinportc, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  2. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Initiate (192) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois

Mikkeller is a bit of an odd duck, though I respect what they do. Their SF location is one of my must-stops whenever traveling for work and always seems to have an interesting selection (I had 3 different Cantillion beers there during a Belgian "takeover"). I've also been to their Citi Field location in NY, which was great. Their offerings are well-curated, typically cover a wide range of styles, and their servers are knowledgeable. Apart from the place being packed now and then, I haven't had a bad experience there.

As much as i enjoy their beers, I've never felt compelled to buy bottles at the local liquor stores. I've purchased a handful over the years but they don't appeal to me in the same way that their pubs do. I think this makes sense for Mikkel, as everything I've read about him suggests someone who would be much happier dealing with the creative side of the brand and leaving the finances to someone else.

Roguer, mikeinportc, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,947) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

They have fallen off my radar. They used to have some distribution to Houston, but the last beer I saw brought in was Hallo, and if you see them now, they are probably a couple of years old.

ChicagoJ and dcotom like this.
  4. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,548) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Meh, I prefer my CEO's to stay inside.

5. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (869) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I think the US doesn't fully understand beer demand outside of the US. I don't know how Brew Dog and Mikkeller grow like they do based on their offerings compared to the competition here, but there they go.

mikeinportc and JackHorzempa like this.
  6. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

But then you have to clean their litter box or it starts to smell...

7. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,548) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

True but their life expectancy is 4 times that of an outside CEO. They're less likely to get hit by a car.

Roguer, mikeinportc, traction and 4 others like this.
  8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (575) Mar 19, 2012 California

Yeah, I loved the SF location and usually would hit if after work when I was working at our SF office or drag my wife before/after a show. Sorry to see that it closed.

However, I usually would drink non-Mikkeller beers when I went. The few beers that I had were fine, but nothing to write home about. As far as I can remember, I never bought any of their beer in a store (price versus quality just wasn't there for me).

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,688) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I should first caveat that I have never had a Mikkeller beer since they are so expensive; below are prices for Mikkeller beer at my local beer retailer:

· Mikkeller Br Gk Bk 12oz B Sng 12 Oz. Bottle Single $7

· Mikkeller Br Gk Brn 12oz B Sng 12 Oz. Bottle Single $10.75

· Mikkeller Jackie Br 25oz B Sng 25 Oz. Bottle Single $14.5

· Mikkeller Spon Chry 12oz B Sng 12 Oz. Bottle Single $16.5

So, the cheapest Mikkeller beer listed there is 7 bucks for a single bottle of Beer Geek Breakfast. Yeah, that is a firm no for me purchasing Mikkeller beer.

I took note of the post made by @HouseofWortship :

“I think the US doesn't fully understand beer demand outside of the US. I don't know how Brew Dog and Mikkeller grow like they do based on their offerings compared to the competition here, but there they go.”

Maybe there is less craft beer competition elsewhere (i.e., outside of the US) so Mikkeller is a more sought after product? In other words if you want a high quality brewed craft beer then Mikkeller is the choice?

I will personally be buying craft beer from other craft breweries since they are of very high quality and not as expensively priced.

Cheers!

mikeinportc and ChicagoJ like this.
  10. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Its worth noting that those prices are in line with their comparable style competition. They just seem to focus on the styles that are always high priced (wild/mixed ferm, flavored imperial stouts, hazy ipas). And that's the most curious thing to me, how are people being introduced to mikkeller? I suppose it's through their pubs and that customers looking for those styles are already acclimated to higher prices?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, let's further discuss Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast Stout. I can buy a single 12 ounce bottle of this beer for $7 at my local beer retailer or I could purchase a four-pack of 12 ounce bottles of Founder Breakfast Stout for $11.99. Nope, these prices are not "in line".
    Since I personally refuse to pay the inflated prices for Mikkeller beer I have no answers here. Perhaps some other BA(s) will respond.

Cheers!

waltari and ChicagoJ like this.
  12. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

That's like comparing treehouse pricing to hazy little thing pricing. Mikkeller is not competing for founders market. Their more direct competition would be things like prairie that are regularly priced at $10-$12 for a single 12 oz bottle. The cheapest I have ever seen a bottle of prairie bomb on sale for is $8. Whether or not you think the value is there for these type of beers is a personal choice. I personally buy mikkeller beers very rarely and mostly enjoy their spontan series. Those.beers are very comparably priced to other flavored wild ales

ChicagoJ and traction like this.
  13. traction

traction Defender (634) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

That is about in line with Prairie for a 12oz stout for whatever that is worth.

14. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

That's like comparing treehouse pricing to hazy little thing pricing. Mikkeller is not competing for founders market. Their more direct competition would be things like prairie that are regularly priced at $10-$12 for a single 12 oz bottle. The cheapest I have ever seen a bottle of prairie bomb on sale for is $8. Whether or not you think the value is there for these type of beers is a personal choice. I personally buy mikkeller beers very rarely and mostly enjoy their spontan series. Those.beers are very comparably priced to other flavored wild ales

ChicagoJ and mogulskier like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Society

Nope. Nobody would say that Hazy Little Things is of the same quality level as Treehouse beers.

For the case of Mikeller Beer Geek Breakfast Stout it has a BA rating of 92 while Founders Breakfast Stout has a BA rating of 100. These beers are comparable in quality while the Founders beer is significantly lower in price.

Cheers!

16. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,468) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I would say that Mikkeller and Founders are very much in competition with one another, at least from the perspective of this discerning craft beer consumer.

There is a price difference as you pointed out but Beer Geek Brunch and variants including those BA versions are supplements to beers like FBS (as Jack pointed out) KBS, newer flavored versions of KBS, CBS and the like. When I see those beers on the shelf together I have to decide which to buy. There are a number of factors that go into that decision so I just end up buying them all to ease the decision making process :wink:

As for how people are introduced to Mikkeller? I suppose it varies. I was introduced to Mikkeller back in the late 2000’s when they were on the shelf here. They’re an ”OG” name in craft beer and a familiar name, at least for those of us who have followed them. They went away for a while and they’re back now through Shelton Brothers so I’m actually excited to see their beers on the shelf again.

#16 TheGent, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    ChicagoJ likes this.
  17. waltari

waltari Initiate (77) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

You are getting ripped off. A 4pk of Founders Breakfast Stout is usually $9 here in GA

ChicagoJ likes this.
  18. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (166) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Are we discussing imported Mikkeler offerings or domestic made? I feel this would weigh heavily on the pricing we're seeing for some styles.

mikeinportc likes this.
  19. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,468) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

My comment relates to imported.

Beer_Stan likes this.
  20. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I suspect that Mikkel would disagree with you. They very much appear to be attempting to position themselves as a super premium brand. Founders is a brand known for providing an affordable product. Which one you like more is subjective (I definitely buy into founder's value proposition waaaay more often than mikkeller's). There's lots of pricing tiers to try to compete at in beer for sure. As you are well aware most consumers find brands like bud light to be the best value proposition. Mikkeller isn't trying to compete in that market either.

And I guarantee you there is someone out there who thinks hazy little thing is the best beer and that treehouse is offering a terrible value.

SABERG and ChicagoJ like this.
  21. Beer_Stan

Trader

I see, I always look at imported vs domestic as:

Imported: Brewery>Exporter>Importer>Distributor>Retailer>Customer
    or
    Domestic: Brewery>Customer; Brewery>Distributor>Retailer>Customer

More often than not, each step or company between brewery and customer adds a percentage increase and makes the beer potentially much more expensive by the time it hits shelves. (I'm sure you all know this, but I'm just saying for those who maybe don't)
    Anyone else want to weigh on this? I can't for the life of me explain why some domestic beers cost so much more than imports really, and often for the same style.

22. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I don't know if mikkeller does any bottles for their domestic production. Or if they are doing anything beyond hazies and their stouts domestically but the one beer of theirs that is regularly available here is beer geek brunch in pint cans for 9.99 or 10.99. So pretty similar pricing to what jack quoted for the breakfast (which I have only ever seen as an imported bottle or on tap).

I think brands like mikkeller are aiming for consistent and premium pricing. This is one reason that I think they look to set up local outposts once their established. They can keep charging their import established price but have one or two links to the consumer cut out of the middle of the transaction

23. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (163) Aug 30, 2007 Texas

Curious how much of mikkeler that comes into your store is made in SD and how much is gypsy brewed?

24. Beer_Stan

Trader

I don't support Mikkeler SD much, they put a bad taste in my mouth. I buy the hell out of Mikkeler in Denmark and Belgium, however.

thuey and SABERG like this.