Milestone beer reviews

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PittBeerGirl, Sep 13, 2017.

1. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Poo-Bah (1,557) Feb 27, 2007 Ohio

imbibehour, Wiffler27, Riff and 7 others like this.
  2. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Poo-Bah (1,557) Feb 27, 2007 Ohio

I did Isabelle Proximus for #500 and collaborative evil for #666. Others I didn't really bother to do anything special.

LeftHanded666 likes this.
  3. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,378) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Congratulations! I started out with big plans for every milestone. 100's 500, 616 etc . . . that soon became only an idea as I passed 500 drinking beer and tasting it just did not feel so special any more. Now I mark the occasion each Sunday!

4. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,192) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Hafta admit I do not have any milestone beers, Hopefully I will notice it when I hit 1000 BA reviews.

PittBeerGirl and utopiajane like this.
  5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,097) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Probably notice the same way I did.

"Oh, look at that I'm already over 1000, now which beer was that?"

(Counting backwards to find out.)

6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,097) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Congratulations on the milestone!

Having milestone beers can be fun, but these days I save my special beers for a bad day that needs something special to brighten it up or make it special.

JimKal, Junior, Riff and 5 others like this.
  7. Bouleboubier

Bouleboubier Poo-Bah (1,742) Dec 22, 2006 Pennsylvania

I always do a dirt adjunct lager every 100th review. Breaks things up a bit. 1000 was Miller Lite, a liquid which holds a special significance in my personal history. I think most recent for 1100 was Foster's.

8. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,463) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I tend to save the beers I'm looking forward to, or that I may not get again for New Beer Sunday. It just feels down right proper to spend an hour every Sunday reviewing one new beer. There may be more throughout the week, but that's my milestone beer, and a cornerstone of my week.

Otherwise, I don't have any milestone beers. If I got it, I'll drink it. I'm more likely to pull a bottle out of the cellar for a life milestone than I am for a beer review, although even that happens rarely. In fact, the only two occasions I can think of where I've done that are for my birthday, and for graduating college. I may pull some sours out when my brother graduates college. We'll see. I don't like to force or over think these things.

Blackop555, Riff, tobelerone and 2 others like this.
  9. colts9016

colts9016 Poo-Bah (1,613) Jul 2, 2007 Idaho
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I have a Black Tuesday for my 1000 review. Dunno what my 1500, or 2000 be yet. Congrats on your milestone

PittBeerGirl likes this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,087) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

My 3000th beer was Jimmy IPA from Snake River. That just happened to be a beer from Wyoming. :slight_smile:

11. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,157) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Supporter Subscriber

I am coming up on 4000 soon, and I am debating about doing anything. Most of the time I just let it pass like all the rest.. but we'll see.

There is one beer on a bottle list at a bar that I have been dying to slay. This might be the ultimate candidate.

You'll know here first that's for sure! :stuck_out_tongue:

12. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

You already passed 4k. Congrats!
    Oops, you're talking reviews. My bad.

bbtkd and imbibehour like this.
  13. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,980) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Congrats!
    I say at least a Bomber or 750ml.

Cheers!

Bitterbill likes this.
  14. mschrei

mschrei Meyvn (1,301) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I saved posting a review or two so this year's Three Floyds Franchise Vanilla Militia could be my 900th rated. I have 32 ratings to get to 1,000 and 21 reviews to get to 500, and I have plenty of beers in my collection that would be special enough for both milestones. I figure if you're going to make time to write about this hobby, might as well celebrate the milestones, right?

PittBeerGirl likes this.
  15. rypkr

rypkr Defender (681) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'm coming up on my 1000th and not sure what to go with. I don't have anything currently more special or prized than I've had the chance to consume already in the last few months so I'm not so sure I'll be able to make it climatic.

utopiajane and PittBeerGirl like this.
  16. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Zealot (585) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

I don't know that I have had any particular plans, though I've certainly thought about how I can make an upcoming 300 special, but I have had milestones in terms of beers that either A. reminded me why I got into all of this in the first place and B. made me feel I had kind of 'made it' not to say that those beers were white whales or anything, just pivotal points of reference. In the A. category the first thing that springs to mind is St. Bernardus Abt. 12 Oak Aged and in the B. category I would have to say Arthur, not that it's really hard to get or anything, but having it on site and bringing it home, I just felt accomplished.

PittBeerGirl likes this.
  17. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (947) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

i've never saved a beer for a particular milestone here

i enjoy each beer i first crack, regardless of my opinion of the beer.

if i don't like it, it's one less to try in the future.

if i like, it's one more to add to the rotation

PittBeerGirl likes this.
  18. imbibehour

Supporter Subscriber

Yup... heh heh... real reviews not ticks... :wink:

Although sometimes ya gotta tick... and get that itch. :grimacing:

PittBeerGirl and Bitterbill like this.
  19. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,281) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I should've saved that Haywards 5000 for my 5,000th beer. That way, I'd never have had to suffer through it during my lifetime.

Edit: I pissed away my chance at OE 800, but I still have a shot at Camo 900. And I think HyVee still has a can of Mikkeller 1000 IBU in the cooler.that should still be there when / if I get to 1,000.

#19 dcotom, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    utopiajane and PittBeerGirl like this.
  20. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,620) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Nothing I can recall but I should be thinking about beer review 1000, I've got 141 beers left before I hit it.

21. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,378) Jun 11, 2013 New York

smaka! 4000! you gonna catch up to Bitterbill!

22. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

It's the other way around. :wink:

imbibehour and utopiajane like this.
  23. MikeWard

MikeWard Meyvn (1,065) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

only milestone i can recall was that by a complete fluke, the 666th beer i rated/reviewed on BA was Appalachian Brewing Company's 666.

24. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,350) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Thinking my number #1000 will be a bottle of Utopias

25. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Only part of the bottle. :wink:

bbtkd likes this.
  26. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (846) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Subscriber

I've never really thought about it before but now that you mention it, I think i'll save a bottle of The Bruery's Terreux Saison Rue for my 350th. I guess it's extra special because it's the most i've ever spent on a single bottle of beer (29.99 CAD).

PittBeerGirl likes this.
  27. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (1,955) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

The only milestone beer I even remember is my 1,000th review: Boulevard Imperial Stout X: Aztec Chocolate. It was an amazing beer. Right now I'm in no mans land of reviews, it will be years before I reach 1,500 so I don't care anymore. I rarely review more than one new beer a week.

PittBeerGirl and bbtkd like this.
  28. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,350) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Well, yeah, that is the equivalent alcohol content of 14 "normal" 4.2% ABV 12oz beers. Still, I won't review a beer unless I have at least 8 ounces.

Bitterbill likes this.
  29. imbibehour

Supporter Subscriber

I think there are a few others who are quite up there that I will never get near, but hey its not a competition. :wink:

I think what's still mind blowing to me, even now, is that there is still SO MUCH beer out there I haven't tried... it boggles my mind and more of it here in the US still keeps on coming.

What a great world we live in... :yum:

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.