Milk Stout in a carton

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by EricLiPuma, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (525) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Gimmick, I don't see the can craze progressing into widespread carton experimentation.. Although I wonder what they lined it with?

2. EricLiPuma

EricLiPuma Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2014 New Jersey

I believe it would be a small limited release so not something that would need to catch on necessarily.

3. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

4. Rekrule

Rekrule Defender (645) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I can't find a reference to that brewery on google at all. I think it's fake.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  5. EricLiPuma

Haha it is fake it's only a concept

6. EricLiPuma

I am wondering would it even be possible? Say the carton was aluminum lined

7. Rekrule

Rekrule Defender (645) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I hoping it's not possible. One less gimmicky BS thing to deal with making craft beer look idiotic.

mrdonno1970 likes this.
  8. EricLiPuma

Don't worry it's just a concept I created it would never go to market. I just wanted general feedback on it as a novelty item.

9. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Why?

10. EricLiPuma

For a package design course I'm taking

11. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I wasn't expecting you to have a practical reason. I kind of feel like an a-hole now.

aufie and FutureJack like this.
  12. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,052) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

I think this would be cool.
    Is it a gimmick? Yes.
    Is it a gimmick that relates intelligently to the product from a design standpoint - also yes!

It's better than this, at least:
    [​IMG]
    The End of History

13. MrIncognito

MrIncognito Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Virginia

I dig the concept if it was properly lined, sealed, etc. I think it's be cool to try

14. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,749) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

15. EricLiPuma

Those are crazy!

16. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)

17. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (546) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Not sure how many volumes of co2 pressure such packaging can handle. But. Sure. As long as you can find a way that a brewery or perhaps taproom would want be able to get beer into that kind of vessel. I think it'd be tits.

18. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (808) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Realistically, it would be nigh impossible to do. Packaging for beer must be able to hold hold immense pressures. Milk is flat and can be held in a paper/plastic carton. If it was a heavy duty plastic/metal container, holding the necessary level of pressure would be possible, but extremely cost inefficient. They do have plastic bags that can hold great pressures, which could be used as a sort of 'bladder' but this would warp the shape of the carton, ruining the effect, unless it was much smaller than the carton (also inefficient).
    Light blockage and portability are vital, but the most important aspect of proper packaging is assuring that you can contain the pressure. Cute idea, but impractical. Some kind of milk jug-inspired aluminum bottle seems more practical. Not sure if that is relevant to your assignment, but i hope it helps.

TL;DR - It would blow up.

BeerBob likes this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,935) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

JohnnyChicago likes this.
  20. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (471) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

You could walk down the street drinking beer and everyone would think it's milk. sneaky.

21. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

I used to work for Boxed Water is Better and know enough about aseptic carton packaging to know that this is almost impossible. I think the pressure would be enough to compromise the integrity of the carton.

Most carton machines in the US are quart size, we had to purchase a custom machine because the cartons we used came from Europe (16.9oz).

22. EricLiPuma

Thanks for all the great replies. I think the only option that could work would be if it was lined with aluminum on the inside to reinforce the carton. Although it would be very costly, as a novelty item I think it could have some success. Another idea I thought of to go along with the cow theme was "Chairman Cow's Imperial Rice Lager" haha.

23. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,131) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

I recall a brew from Africa that was in a carton, perhaps sorghum, but not certain.....sounded rather ummm....thick and chewy.

24. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,796) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

My local pub in England used to send me home with pints of lager in what looked to be a milk carton to-go box...this was around 1982-84

saliro5 and EricLiPuma like this.
  25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,935) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Then they'd have to line the aluminum with the same water-based polymer lining, or similar, that they use on aluminum beer cans.

EricLiPuma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.