Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

milk stout or PB/chocolate porter

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Rau71, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rau71

Rau71 Dec 12, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Which one is easier to work with? I have never used lactose or Peanut butter but have used cocao before. Have a few lighter session beers brewing and looking to brew one of these but don't want to get in over my head which should I brew?

2. Circleo12

Circleo12 Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

If you go true PB in a brew, then far and away, a milk stout with choc/cocoa will be far easier to handle.

I made a Peanut Butter Porter as my first all grain way back when (yeah, I was adamant on going all in). I de-oiled the PB for a good 3 months before I brewed, and it still had head retention problems. Now, you could always use PB2, the powdered substitute for PB, but if you're going all in, you need a decent amount of time to get the oil off of the peanut butter.

Cocoa, on the other hand, is pretty straight forward.

Rau71 likes this.
  3. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

How does one deoil peanut butter? Vodka?

4. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior May 21, 2010 Texas

Milk stout. Lactose is easy to work with, and milk stouts are likely to come out well, especially if you follow the KISS protocol.

Cocoa is rumored to be easy to work with, but I haven't used it so I can't really say. Peanut butter is ... well forget it, I'm not working with that stuff anytime soon! :rolleyes:

5. Circleo12

Beer Trader

Natural peanut butter, cheese cloth and a strainer, and a whole helluva lot of time. Well, thats the method I used.

6. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

I never brewed with peanut butter by PB2 sounds promising. Midwest Supplies calls for it in this kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/chocolate-covered-beavr-nuts-all-grain-kit.html
    Their instructions say to add to a 2ndary. You can read about it and reviews in the link and elsewhere on the web. Jokelahoma made this kit (or a facsimile of it) and you should be able to find his thread about it in the archives of this forum. The Midwest Supplies reviews suggest to me that 13 oz of the peanut butter powder stays pretty hidden in a rich and roasty dark beer, so that is something you might consider if making your own recipe.

7. Circleo12

Beer Trader

PB2 is VERY subtle, you will have to add more than you think, to retain the flavors you are trying to achieve, just keep that in mind.

pweis909 likes this.
  8. pweis909

Have you tasted it in anything but stouts?

9. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Mar 22, 2011 California

I've used it twice now, 32 oz in a 5 gallon batch and 32 oz in a 3 gallon batch, both imperial milk stouts (See BA mag for recipe) with TCHO cocoa nibs and TCHO 99% cocoa chocolate (no sugar). The first batch had a nice, subtle flavor whereas the second one had a pretty pronounced peanut butter flavor.

Additionally, the first batch picked up some oxidation (most likely from shaking the shit out of the carboy to get the PB2 suspended after I racked onto it) that resulted in some fattyness in the finish (I seemed to be the only one to notice this), whereas the second batch was racked into a CO2 purged carboy with the PB2 added after racking, with no shaking or stirring, and it was perfect. Both sat for around 7 days on PB2 before racking to a CO2 purged keg.

While both medaled in comps, the second one was vastly superior and was a really good beer; unfortunately I didn't get to drink much more than a glass of it as the keg was for the groom and bridal parties at a friend's wedding and kicked in 15 minutes.

pweis909 likes this.
  10. Infinite1

Infinite1 Jul 2, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That sounds like a tasty stout.

Anyone know where to actually get a Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout ?

11. Circleo12

Beer Trader

No, I've only had it in stouts, so it may be more pronounced in lighter ales I guess.

Well, after de-oiling my PB for 3 months, I brewed an Elvis' stout (Peanut Butter Banana Stout), and semi-ruined it IMO. I should have used real bananas, but went with the banana extract. It took over the beer, unfortunately.

pweis909 likes this.
  12. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Moderator Subscriber Beer Trader

I brew a PB Porter, and it's pretty damn simple. I actually add the PB2 at flameout like a hopstand. Enough to dissolve it, and then I make sure to get everything out of the kettle into the fermenter.

I used a pound in my beer and it comes through but not a defining thing. You smell it in the glass, you get the nutty sweet finish, but you don't feel like your eating a peanut butter and nutella sammich.

I also use dutched cocoa in the boil late, and use cocoa nibs in secondary.

13. Infinite1

Beer Trader

I want this.... This sounds good

14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Moderator Subscriber Beer Trader

Shoot me a BM if you want a recipe. My porter is pretty fucking close to a "stout".

15. Infinite1

Beer Trader

I would if I was a brewer. Wouldn't know where to begin

16. thestupidpunk

thestupidpunk Jun 10, 2013 New York

I used PB2 and cacao nibs to make a chocolate peanut butter porter. It tasted exactly like chocolate peanut butter in a porter, which, I'm warning you, freaked my friends and me out when we tasted it. There was nothing wrong or off with the brew itself, it just didn't work right as a porter.

I would recommend brewing it as a stout -- maybe the mouthfeel difference would make it better.

17. inchrisin

I'm looking at the price of PB2 and that'd be like $20 worth of peanut butter for each of these beers. Worth it?

18. Rau71

Rau71 Dec 12, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Thanks all for the input, my LHBS doesn't have PB2 so I am buying some from amazon, and I will brewing these 2 back to back weekends with the Milk Stout first since they carry lactose, should be interesting to say the least.

19. barfdiggs

The second one was pretty darn good and I will be brewing it again in the New Year, the first, with its fatty, weird finish, wasn't to my liking at all (others liked it, and thankfully they drank it all). As long as you're extra careful about oxidation (think paranoid), it'll turn out really well, just also make sure you have a very solid and well tested base beer. Throwing PB2 on top of a beer thats not a good match for it, isn't worth the extra cost of PB2. If doing chocolate and peanut butter, some really high end nibs or cacao will help as well.

20. inchrisin

Sounds like PB2 is going in the boil.

21. pweis909

Without opening up the can of worms about what the difference is between a stout and a porter, what would you change about the porter to make the peanut butter work for you?

22. thestupidpunk

thestupidpunk Jun 10, 2013 New York

Thanks for calling me out--apparently the only difference between a stout and a porter is what the brewer calls it (thank you Internet).

What I had in mind while typing this in my attention-deficit moment was to brew the chocolate peanut butter beer with lactose and calling it a milk stout. The only problem I encountered with tasting the home brew was the body (as the beer did taste exactly like chocolate and peanut butter), so lactose may do the trick. Having those tastes in a medium bodied ale just didn't work out for me.

23. pweis909

Didn't mean to call you out on the stout-porter controversy - just didn't want the thread to move in that direction.

Thanks for answering my question!

24. barfdiggs

It does. It also makes the beer creamy not oily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe