Milwaukee/Madison beer weekend

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by sisterthelonious, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Starting off with a tour of Great Lakes Distillery in Milwaukee tonight.

Homebrew day tomorrow, followed by a stop at Discount Liquor & Three Cellars before heading over to a buddies house for a bottle share/board game night

Madison trip on Saturday, with stops at New Glarus, Old Sugar, Tyranena, Karben4 & Ale Asylum.

Any other must-hits in the area? I know it pretty well, but always looking for new places to find great beer!

2. AaronRodgersMVP12

AaronRodgersMVP12 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Wisconsin

If you're in Milwaukee and have time hit up lakefront brewery, great tour.

3. dhannes

dhannes Zealot (547) Feb 14, 2010 Wisconsin

4. evanrogers

evanrogers Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Wisconsin

Milwaukee Brewing Company has a great tour as well. The Wisconsin Brewing Company just opened for tours as well and will be on your way to New Glarus from downtown Madison.

5. ms333

ms333 Initiate (179) Jun 5, 2013 Illinois

Check bottle dates as much as you can from Discount. Some old stuff there. I like woodmans.

I went to madison recently. For bars, I liked Cooper's. Got Pseudo Sue there. Loved it. I'd look for bottles of that or other Toppling Goliath. And get some Serendipity.

Stores stop selling at 9 I think. Growler fills and sixers from breweries too.

6. DantheMan75

DantheMan75 Disciple (307) Oct 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Dexter's Pub (A great beer / food stop regardless) is having a Founder's tasting event Saturday night (Nov 9).
    http://www.dexterspubmadison.com/events/

It is an easy stumble to the Malt House, a fantastic beer stop

7. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (393) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

In Madison, go to Brasserie V. It's a Begian restaurant. The bottle list is bananas. De Struisse pennepot reserva '09!

I would drive from Chicago just for the hell of it if I had a friend.

craft_shannie likes this.
  8. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Meyvn (1,015) Nov 30, 2008 Wisconsin
    Trader

Sounds like you're already doing it right!

9. Kbyfield

Kbyfield Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Wisconsin

(for Madison)

I’d also check Star, Trixie’s, and Jennifer St Market for bottled goods. All close to your other stops on the East side.

Coopers for lunch or dinner, Brasserie V for dinner. Next Door has reportedly great food as well.

Check the times on Old Sugar and One Barrel as I think they both open in the afternoon.

If buying Old Sugar, buy it at the distillery. 2 bottles gets you a shirt for $5 and IIRC, the bottle prices are the same as the liquor stores. May as well cut out the middle man and give them the direct sale.

10. s_wit

s_wit Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2012 Wisconsin

FYI, the only TG bottles in the Madison area right now are Dorothy's Lager.

11. s_wit

s_wit Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2012 Wisconsin

Sounds like a good time to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.