Milwaukee trip

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by jtg5678, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtg5678

jtg5678 Aspirant (208) Nov 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I know this is in the forum somewhere, but I couldn't get quite the right search term to weed out a bunch of non-pertinent stuff.

Anyway, taking a day trip to Milwaukee from Chicago this Saturday for the baseball game. Would like to make a stop at a good bottle shop as long as it is relatively convenient (I'm not driving so I can't have someone go far out of the way). I'm looking for New Glarus (the sour/tart stuff in partciular), and am hoping to make finding a decent selection as painless as possible.

Suggestions?

2. atomic

atomic Disciple (328) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The woodman's right off of 94 near Kenosha Exit. Literally off the highway. Best beer/liquor selection and prices I've ever seen. I literally drive out there every few months to stock up. The money I save in liquor and taxes makes up for the money I spend on gas out there.

3. Wisconsinality

Wisconsinality Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2009 Wisconsin

Discount liquor is a mile or so from Miller park on Oklahoma. Best selection in the state.

4. sgwagner

sgwagner Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 Wisconsin

I have to agree with atomic about Woodman's. I've been going to Discount Liquor for years, and they're still one of the best selections in the state. I was surprised, (and actually a little disappointed) to find that Woodman's selection blows Discount's out of the water. All beers are refrigerated there as well, which is another slight advantage over Discount.

But either way, you can't go wrong with either one.

5. jtg5678

Beer Trader

Thanks guys! I'll try to hit both these places up.

6. Larrygto

Larrygto Initiate (0) May 28, 2012 Arizona

7. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

I wouldn't recommend this place. I am a local adn have been here over a dozen times, they always have tons of stale month+ old drafts 30 of the drafts are bmc anyways. Always crowded. So you are either getting stale beer or bmc.

8. crossovert

Woodman's selection isn't even close to discounts, but the refrigeration is def a plus.

9. Larrygto

They have 85 beers on tap, they can't sell them all out in a week lol. If you pay attention to the beer list it's not hard to figure out which ones a fresh and which ones have been around awhile.

10. crossovert

Which is exactly why the place is so shitty. I know the fresh ones. But that is beyond the point, point is if you actually want a selection of good fresh craft beer there you pretty much have about 12 options of craft and half of those are new glarus beers or other craft beers that you can get at any bar.

11. Larrygto

I guess I have a bias opinion, I have a handicap kid the treat like a king in there.

12. crossovert

The one downtown is still a solid place. (food is better, beer is fresher, more focused selection). That is nice of them to take care of your kid. But aside from that I don't recommend it to people passing through.

13. SWChi

SWChi Aspirant (292) Oct 25, 2012 Illinois

Hijacking...anything in Brookfield? I was there last month but didn't see any good liquor stores..heading back up there in a few weeks for the Chesney concert...thanks.

14. Shakory

Shakory Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Wisconsin

decent store on lisbon between lily and pilgrim (brookfalls discount) that is about it, owner is an indian guy who owns chains of gastations but has tons of craft in his liquor store and is a cool guy, really good amount actually. He didnt get any KBS this year but a few weeks later he had 3 bottles he got from his distributor and he sold me all 3 for $6.

SWChi likes this.
  15. SWChi

Thanks for the info!

16. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (193) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Beer Trader

There's an Otto's kitty-corner from Brookfield Square which is technically in Elm Grove, but there's not much for craft beer there. You're better off driving to the Waukesha Discount Liquor which isn't as big as the Oklahoma location but still very solid.

SWChi and Shakory like this.
  17. SWChi

Thanks for the info.

18. bound4er

bound4er Crusader (781) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

Sendik's on Capitol Dr. and Brookfield Rd. is solid.

Shakory likes this.
  19. jtg5678

Beer Trader

Shouts on the Woodman's tip. Found exactly what I was looking for (cheap New Glarus). Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.