Milwaukee, WI beer questions

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by pecokid, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pecokid

pecokid Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

What PA beers are hard to find in Milwaukee, WI? Conversely, what Wisconsin beers are easy to find in Milwaukee but difficult to get in PA? I am aware of (and interested in) New Glarus. Finally, what are some good bottle shops in downtown Milwaukee? Thank you.

2. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Aspirant (232) Apr 2, 2011 Tennessee

This will help answer your beer distribution question. Great site! http://seekabrew.com/

Regarding downtown, I'd reco Downer Liquor and World of Beer. A little further out, you could look into a discount Liquor and Groppi.

Good luck!

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,521) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You can't get Troegs in WI, so their Nugget Nectar (or anything else from them) would be a welcome brew to a Wisconsinite. Yeungling would be another brewery that does not make it to WI.

4. xsists

xsists Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2007 Wisconsin

Looks like you guys get Cigar City, DFH, Firestone Walker, Hair of the Dog, Hill Farmstead, Pretty Things and Russian River to name a few that we can't get here..

5. Wisconsinality

Wisconsinality Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2009 Wisconsin

Is that just Philly or the whole state of PA. I would think with the goofy case law it might detract brewers but seems they get just about everything and a lot of stuff everyone else doesn't.

6. xsists

xsists Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2007 Wisconsin

I'm not sure.. I just used the Seek a Brew and looked at what was available.

7. sherm1016

sherm1016 Aspirant (209) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin

I would guess just Philly. Not because of the case law, but because of the distributors.

8. pecokid

Firestone Walker, Hair of the Dog, Hill Farmstead, Pretty Things and Russian River are rare in my part of PA. My assumption is they can be found in Philly because of Philly Beer Week and the LCB registration regulations. Even Cigar City is iffy. Yes distributors (and the three tier system) make things complicated for the end user in PA.

9. pecokid

Is World of Beer open? I saw some confusing comments on the interwebs.

Mscarpen likes this.
  10. cu29

cu29 Initiate (133) Sep 26, 2005 Wisconsin

There really are no good liquor stores downtown. The best may be the liquor dept at the Metro Market at Juneau/Van Buren. Hopefully you have a car and can drive to Discount Liquor.....it would be worth the 15 minute or so drive from downtown.

World of Beer has opened on Brady St. Had their opening celebration on Monday, though they appeared to be open a couple of days prior to that judging by the people drinking inside and outside the joint on the days prior.
    And just so the original poster knows, World of Beer is a bar, not a bottle shop. They have 40 beers on tap and perhaps 500 in bottles.

http-::wobusa.com:Locations:BradyStreet.aspx

https-::www.facebook.com:wobbradystreet

11. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Aspirant (232) Apr 2, 2011 Tennessee

Opened Monday.

12. pecokid

I am thinking of bringing some PA brews with me. If you are interested in an in-person trade, feel free to private message me. Full disclosure, I am sorry to say you'll have to come to me (downtown) as I will not have transportation. Given that constraint I do not have high hopes, but c'est la vie.

13. pecokid

Thankfully I got enough feedback from this post and can say anything I think I can get to Milwaukee is spoken for. I'll be back in touch with those few folks via PM. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.