Missing malt flavor in Homebrew

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Redindie, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redindie

Redindie Initiate (139) Feb 10, 2016 Germany

Hi all,

I've been brewing for about 2 years now, and have slowly improved my setup (BIAB) over time to brew some enjoyable IPAs. However, after trying to brew some browns and reds, I can't seem to get a malt flavour in the final beer. I've tried multiple recipes and yeasts, but no change.

I've tried adding +20% Munich to recipes with no avail.
    I've tried using Bottled water and tap water.
    I've tried both sparging and no sparging
    I've tried different dry yeasts (no liquid yeasts yet)
    Pitching rehydrated yeast with wort at 21°C
    Fermenting at 18°C on primary for 2-3 Weeks, then bottling
    Priming with corn sugar

The beers taste fine, just not malty. Sometimes sweet, but without the malt aspect. Typical OG is 1.054. Finishing at around 1.012.

I'm really out ideas... Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this?

Thanks for the help!

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Hmm. If you had to describe what you mean by malt flavor without using the word malt, what would you say?

crcostel likes this.
  3. Redindie

being able to taste the character of the grains. Not the sweetness. I've tasted some great beers, where you can taste the hops, but you can also tastes the grains to an extent and it complements the hops nicely. In an extreme example, a porter has an intense malt taste.

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,351) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

At the risk of leading the witness, below are some descriptors that I use to describe various malty flavors:

· Doughy

· Bready

· Biscuity

· Cracker-like

· Toasty

· Bread Crust

· Chocolaty

· Roasty

And because I don’t have a good independent word: Pilsner malt flavor.

For the case of a Porter I would use the combination of Chocolaty and Roasty (and for my homebrewed Robust Porter I would add the descriptor of licorice as well).

I would not state that the above is a complete list but it is fairly comprehensive.

Which of the above would you like to achieve for your various beers?

Cheers!

5. Redindie

Thanks guys. The challenge though, seems getting any "maltyness" at all. The body is always clean/slim. Not watery though. Mouthfeel seems fine.

6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,623) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Mash at 5.5-5.6 pH for more malt flavor.

chavinparty likes this.
  7. Redindie

so the higher PH leads to weaker conversion aka sweeter and maltier?
    I currently land around 5.2-5.3

8. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

What are you using as your base malt?

When I am looking to produce a beer with a "clean" malt backbone (e.g., a West Coast style American IPA) I purposefully select North American 2-row as my base malt and a bit of very light crystal malt (i.e., 20 L) to achieve this "clean" malt backbone.

Cheers!

9. Redindie

mostly 2 Row Weyermann as a base. Recently substituted a large portion with Munich but no changes in malt flavour. The last try was 63.8% Pale Ale, 21.3% Munich, 8.5% CaraAroma, and 6.4% CaraRed. Color is fine, but maltiness is just weak. Can hops cover it up? Maybe too much bettering hops?

10. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

“In short: high pH -> more amino acids have lost a proton from their amino groups -> they are now more likely to donate an electron to the reducing sugar -> more Amadori products -> more melanoidens.”

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_pH_affects_brewing#Maillard_reactions

Cheers!

11. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

You have a fair amount of 'character' malts in thay grains bill (i.e., Munich Malt, CaraAroma, and CaraRed).

Maybe try Jeff's suggestion and up your mash pH since that will aid in the development of melanoidens but I am surprised that this would be needed given that grist.

Hmm, I will think more on this and see if I have any other ideas.

Cheers!

12. Redindie

I'll try the higher PH and see, but it's been quite frustrating. Are there any bacteria that would eliminate malt flavour? I had some Bombs in the past, but even with recent batches that have been fine, the issue persists.
    I ramped up the special malts thinking it would give me that flavour I want, but no luck.

13. Redindie

I have noticed that my brews come out darker than calculated...

14. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Do you happen to know the Calcium, Chloride and Sulfate levels of your tap water?

Cheers!

15. Redindie

PH = 7,4
    Chloride = 79 mg/l
    Sulpahte = 52 mg/l
    Calcium = 87 mg/l

16. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

If it wasn't for the fact that you mentioned your mash pH was 5.2-5.3 I would have said this might be due to a higher mash pH since that condition encourages Maillard Reactions.

Hmm?

Cheers!

17. Redindie

I started adding some Acidulated malt to get the ph down.

18. Redindie

The thing is, the wort going into the boil has the maltiness I'm looking for. It's just getting lost somewhere.

19. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Well, so much for that theory. Those values look reasonable to me (i.e., shouldn't be the reason for diminished malt flavors). The Sulfate value is on the lower end of the range I would suggest (50 - 150) but it is within the range.

Time for me to think some more.

Cheers!

20. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

FWIW I achieve a mash pH of around 5.3 for my Oatmeal Stout and Robust Porter (no acid additions - just what happens with my alkaline tap water and the dark malts). Those beers are very malty. Maybe they would be more malty if I 'bumped up' the mash pH but frankly I have always been happy with how they turn out so I have never tried raising the mash pH for my malty beers.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.