MN Brewer's attempts at NE IPAs

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by MNAle, Mar 24, 2017.

1. MNAle

MNAle Crusader (751) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Once more into the breach...

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have tried Summit's Phazer, Insight's Surging from the East, and Modist's Dream Yard.

Tonight, I was able to grab some Lupulin Blissful Ignorance. IMO, this one is the best of the lot. Thick and smooth mouth feel, plenty of citrus, and turbid appearance. Dilicious. I have no idea how it compares with the Vermont brewers, but on its own, it is very tasty.

eawolff99 likes this.
  2. nograz

nograz Disciple (320) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Blissful Ignorance is good in its own right, but I would not consider it NE IPA style.

da1chifan and gatornation like this.
  3. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (108) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

To catch this thread up to the one that imploded, most people thought every one of these beers were poor examples of the style (although not poor beers).

4. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,204) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Blissful Ignorance, & Cone Gnome both MN 2IPA,'S are 2 of the better ones ive tried, but neither are NE IPA'S, the closest ive had from MN in style to NE was Stupid Good, in color/texture,taste & mouthfeel to say Treehouse. IMO of course.

SortaAmbivalent and eawolff99 like this.
  5. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (567) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Cone Gnome is from Wisconsin.

6. nachos

nachos Initiate (95) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

It's actually, "once more unto the breach." Not into.

Lucular, TurkishSqueeze and mjryan like this.
  7. kemullen1

kemullen1 Initiate (176) Feb 10, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Had a small share tonight. Sampled a couple Treehouse and Trillium beers against DDH Sue, Dreamyard, and Insight East. I had tried the Dreamyard, Sue and east prior to the others and thought they were great NE IPAs. However in direct comparison though, other than the DDH Sue, they definitely are not NE styles, mainly in mouthfeel, clarity, and bitterness (what else is there right?...). East and Dreamyard were the definitely the most different. DDH Sue had the mouthfeel and haze, but also had more bitter than the Treehouse beers (Alter Ego/Green) and Trillium (DDH A Street/Scaled Up). That said, I enjoyed the Sue the best...

DDH Sue>Alter Ego>Green>East>Dreamyard> A Street

Hookstrat, B-Stad and nmoe like this.
  8. MNAle

That was Bill. This is me. :wink: It is definitely "into" the breach around here! :)

9. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (2,889) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Unto the breach, my friend, unto the breach. The English Nazi in me wants to remind you the quote from Henry V is "once more unto the breach".:wink:

TonyBaloney and MNAle like this.
  10. Surlyguy81

Surlyguy81 Initiate (136) Oct 4, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Forager, some of the best examples of NE IPA's being brewed in the state right now. Availability changes often but you can find one on tap most of the time.

TonyBaloney and Angerhaus like this.
  11. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (403) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Lupulin Batch 100, now known as Hooey, is closer to a NE IPA than Blissful. Not super hazy though.

Disgruntled and Forager and the 2 best examples in MN currently.

nograz likes this.
  12. B-Stad

B-Stad Initiate (163) May 16, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I love DDH Sue. I was at a beer event two weeks ago, and Toppling Goliath was there. We were talking about DDH Sue and I told them that I had not had any IPAs from New England, but was willing to put it against just about any of them. One of the guys responded that they brewed with the guys from Tree House and allege that the style came from TG. You be the judge of fact or fiction.

13. meathead

meathead Initiate (110) May 30, 2015 Minnesota

Is brewing this style of beer that hard? Hell, I get the majority of the population still drinks Coors Light and Mich Golden Light, but why is it taking this long for MN to get in on the action.

Is it a MN thing, swing for average and not home runs?

Is it snobbery among brewers? Are they worried about being labeled a copycat? Capacity issues? Not capable right now?

For ex. Top Goliath, their bombers are awesome, hunting for them is a pain and the format sucks. When I still see 4pk Bottles of rover, nugget, and dorothy, you're hurting your brand. Florida sue is good but not great.

14. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (377) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Perhaps. MN brewers are trying to make their own beers, and not copy someone elses?

GormBrewhouse and Spewlander like this.
  15. TapsNRaz

TapsNRaz Initiate (134) Jan 4, 2017 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I've been lucky enough to try a lot of NE hops lately due to a buddy who works on the east coast during the week. I just had "The streets" last night and have had quite a few other Trillium/Tree House/Other Half beers lately. I was able to compare to Blissful last night and feel it's very close, but not "There". It's an amazing beer and unless I had them side by side like I did, I'd call them on par with each other. Either way, I wake up with a headache the next day.

16. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (547) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

It's been talked about ad nauseam, but the difference (so far) between most MN beers and those actually brewed in the NE part of the country is the soft mouthfeel and juicy hop presence without the bitterness. We all know that. Most beers mentioned in this thread and the previous dumpster fire of a thread range from good to damn excellent, but just aren't there. It is what it is. Disgruntled. Like 1 forager beer ever. And TG (not MN) bombers are there but that's it. Not an insult on the beer quality just not this mythical "NE" style

kemullen1 likes this.
  17. MNAle

But it is still interesting to follow, track, and discuss their efforts in brewing the style, don't you think? Besides, it provided an excuse for me to pick up beers from Modist and Lupulin for the first time, to grab another from Insight, and make a trip to the Summit Beer Hall. All in all, a win-win-win-win... :wink:

18. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (141) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

Had the Insight 4 pack. West was actually the very well done beer of the two and IMO East lacked. Dream Yard and Blissful were nice but not wow beers at all.

The TG bombers still routinely kill it (DDH, KS, Sosus etc) for juicy, hazy, low bitterness treats. Scorpious Morchella (sp??) Should be coming soon, is worth the trip to Decorah and may be the best of the bunch.

In fact of all these type beers I have tried Iowa rules the category in the Midwest with equally solid offerings coming from 515, Pulpit Rock etc.

When I get the opportunity maybe Forager & Disgruntled will change my mind....

19. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (547) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Oh for sure. Was mostly just a summary

MNAle likes this.
  20. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (166) Aug 17, 2012 Minnesota

Disgruntled Stupid Good WILL change your mind...it is Stupid Good!
    Try to get you hands on a growler!

21. shlub

shlub Initiate (154) Jan 11, 2008 Minnesota

SipIt likes this.
  22. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Aspirant (280) Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Local 756 will certainly please MN palettes. Crushable.

23. MNAle

Since I'm not a trader, I'm operating at a disadvantage regarding what the "real" NE IPAs are like, but....

I picked up another 4 pack of Dream Yard at F44 last Friday ... Drinking it now... Damn! I mean, damn, this is good! Nice aroma, thick, creamy mouth feel, taste of oranges and mangos, subdued (but not absent) bittering. Absolutely wonderful.

MadDawg, pmccallum86, cmannes and 4 others like this.
  24. laststop126

laststop126 Initiate (119) Aug 16, 2013 North Dakota

But in the realm of "NE IPAs", it falls embarrassingly short. It's got good (not great) hops and the "hazy and juicy" factor leaves a lot to be desired.

There's only one brewery doing the "NE IPAs" style right in the state and that's Disgruntled. Everyone else is still trying.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  25. MNAle

Yeah, well, that's a 7 hour round trip... that ain't in the cards...

26. MNTraveler

MNTraveler Initiate (127) Jul 27, 2016 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Maybe if you were part of the crew...

27. MNAle

Hey, now... let's not get this thread locked, too! :wink:

28. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (108) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

You clearly have not had anything from Forager.

TurkishSqueeze, Ish1 and iRun2Beer like this.
  29. nograz

nograz Disciple (320) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

There are a few bars in the cities that get kegs. Grizzlys in Plymouth, Ansaris, Butcher and the Boar and maybe one more so luckily you don't have to travel to far.

30. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (71) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

From scanning these two threads, it sounds like most of these MN NE IPAs have been taproom or limited release bottle offerings. Is anyone aware if any of these have been readily available in liquor stores for purchase? As a married, working man with children, my ability to chase beer is rather limited.

cmannes and dlphnfn like this.
  31. Cfred371

Cfred371 Disciple (367) Jul 14, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

There's a few beers dubbed NE IPA around, but fall short. Blissful Ignorance from Lupulin, and East Coast from Insight are the two beers that come to mind. I believe Lupulin has a beer coming out in cans this summer that is an actual NE IPA, called Hooey.

CarolusP likes this.
  32. MNAle

Depends on what you mean by "these MN NE IPAs"! :wink:

Plenty of Modist Dream Yard, Lupulin Blissful Ignorance, and Insight East v West were at France 44 last Friday.

CarolusP and eawolff99 like this.
  33. kccoop07

kccoop07 Initiate (23) Dec 26, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

My take after visiting Blackstack today without asking about their process/recipes (and years soaking up the New England scene):

755 and 756 both are both big on late/flavor hop additions. They definitely drink bigger than 6%. 755 reminds me a lot of Sip of Sunshine. Awesome beer but a little too intense to hit this mythical "NEIPA" mark.

But that's the thing, we shouldn't nitpick too much as there's plenty of variety "within style." For my money, on-draft Dreamyard is the best of the rest for easy drinking deliciousness. But I haven't had a single can from the pack (and packaging can be hard on this style).

Chaz, KiddVideo, Ish1 and 3 others like this.
  34. KiddVideo

KiddVideo Initiate (150) Jun 19, 2015 Minnesota

Kudos! Moreover, all Black Stack beers including their New England IPA are all malt beers while other NEIPA's have adjuncts like oats etc.

35. Engy

Engy Initiate (110) Aug 12, 2014 Minnesota

Why do they call it a New England IPA if it's not brewed like a New England IPA?

SasquatchB2 likes this.
  36. MNAle

You must be new around here... :grinning:

KarlHungus, iRun2Beer and cmannes like this.
  37. KiddVideo

Great question. Moreover, Did you know all the New England IPA's were made with adjuncts?

38. sean_mpls

sean_mpls Initiate (171) Sep 11, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

You seem to be saying "adjuncts" as if it's some sort of negative thing regarding these beers.

CLevar and KarlHungus like this.
  39. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,451) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I'd suggest you look at the post by @kccoop07 two above yours.

Not every Russian Imperial Stout is brewed exactly the same way, & the same is true of virtually every other style as well (leaving aside the Reinheitsgebot).

KiddVideo likes this.
  40. KiddVideo

Correct. John Kimmich the inventor of the New England style IPA has said, Personally, I find it a little arrogant to try and claim that we do something so different that it deserves its own category.” I have tried plenty of New England IPA's and found them to be delicious but not all are the same.

cmannes likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.