Moksa Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Swiveln, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Swiveln

Swiveln Initiate (62) May 24, 2012 California
    Trader

Noticed the 2018 thread was closed so I figured it was time to start a 2019 thread. I drove up Saturday and joined the Moksa Club as a new member. Heres whats included,

MOKSA Memberhood
    Cost: $300
    Date: February 1st, 2019- January 31st, 2020

10 Exclusive bottles
    2 Barrel Aged stouts (Two 500ml Bottles each)- 4 Total
    2 Non-Barrel Aged Stouts (Three 500ml Bottles each) 6 Total

60 days pick up windows, No proxies

Preview tastings of new beers
    Presales for most releases
    10% off Taproom
    Custom Digital ID
    Exclusive Tasting Glass
    Member Only Merch (Sold Separately)
    Exclusive Party Invite (Sold Separately)
    First Rights to next years membership

wolf13 likes this.
  2. thuey

thuey Aspirant (223) Nov 13, 2015 California

Wow... isn't $300 super pricey for essentially a glass and 10 "pints"? (60% of which aren't even Barrel Aged...)

jasonmason likes this.
  3. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (74) Feb 1, 2018 California

Did you wait overnight in the rain like the rest of the suckers only to have the memberships last until Sunday afternoon? That was awesome to point and laugh at.

drizzlemybeerzle and Marco_Gtz like this.
  4. IcyTrout

Yeah, this membership is a total raw deal. The presale beer access is you having to physically go to the brewery the thur/fri before the saturday release of beers. It's not an online sale that they hold the bottles for X days. Why anyone would sign up for this is beyond me.

5. Swiveln

Trader

I did go early and had a nice bottle share, but not over night. Heard people started lining up at 11pm.

6. Swiveln

Trader

Oh, and no rain haha. Thank god

IcyTrout likes this.
  7. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Initiate (173) Jul 25, 2010 California

I don't do the Membership, but am Local and stopped in on Sunday afternoon. People were still buying memberships on Sunday while we were there, so I can confirm that.

Did have several solid IPAs. They are improving in this category from the earlier batches last year.

[​IMG] .

asong_net and KevSal like this.
  8. atomicpunk5151

One other note on Moksa from 2018. I thought Pasty Method was the best Stout they did. Funny part was it was not even a "Member" beer. It was very limited though. I also liked Grasp of Darkness, the Modern Times collab.

As for the Member Beers, Immoderation & Indulgence got pretty good reviews locally. I will let others that got bottles chime in on those.

KevSal likes this.
  9. atomicpunk5151

Upcoming Stout Bottle Release this Saturday. Collab with Weldworks.

Pass on waiting in any line for a bottle. But I will probably try in the tap room.

KevSal likes this.
  10. thuey

thuey Aspirant (223) Nov 13, 2015 California

Are Moksa lines now Torrance-level? I never thought Sac area would become like that

11. atomicpunk5151

The big lines are only for the Non-Member Imp/Pastry Stouts bottle releases.

IPAs can releases have no big lines. I picked up cans of Oceania Punch IPA a week after release. Most IPAs are also available in crowlers anytime.

thuey likes this.
  12. IcyTrout

Yes, more like back when they would pre-announce sales and people would camp out with BBQ's and public drinking.

13. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (76) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Indulgence was delicious, better than pastry method imo. I had it a few times, at new glory beer fest and at the brewery (I was with a member). Not saying pm was bad, it was really good, but indulgence was better. Never had immoderation but heard that was good despite the high abv. And yes the lines are long for the bottle releases. Can releases are easy, not much hype except for the collabs they've done with great notion and inu islands( which by the way was released the same time as grasp of darkness). The releases I've been to all were laid back and festive. Lots of people just hanging out drinking eating talking. This weekend should be no different.

14. KevSal

KevSal Savant (987) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

immoderation was one of my favorite non-ba stout of the year! major influence on why i renewed actually, bummer it didn’t last as long as indulgence in the taproom

[​IMG]

it’s crazy how light it was drinking too, like 8%, well done for sure

IcyTrout likes this.
  15. Swiveln

Trader

Im going to try and head up for the new release tomorrow. Not willing to wait in line but will show at opening. First release I'm going to. The Neapolitan Stout Sounds tasty.

16. KevSal

Trader

and it’s a collab with weldwerks, sounds like a killer combo

17. atomicpunk5151

Just to update the Saturday Harlequin Delight Stout bottle release......

Empty Chairs in line on Friday night......lol... Unconfirmed reports of a Grandma/mule in line.

Then of course......Bottles actually lasted through the opening line on Sat and into the afternoon. No wait actually needed on this one.....

@Swiveln did you make it up to Moksa on Sat?

KevSal likes this.
  18. KevSal

Trader

what’s up with people lining up the night before?? makes no sense to me.

how is it?

19. IcyTrout

There's this sub-culture in beer that loves waiting in line. I don't understand it at all but hey more power to them if they love it.

20. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (71) Apr 27, 2017 California

That sub-culture you’re talking about can be affectionately referred to as “alcoholism”.

micahburns and IcyTrout like this.
  21. IcyTrout

I know people that love doing it sans the public drinking.

Rustytacos likes this.
  22. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (76) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Was
    Going to mention the same thing, most people go to just hang out , something to do I suppose. Don't paint everyone with the same brush however you're right that some people do drink to much, but why would pay extra to get drunk.

23. atomicpunk5151

Couple events coming up...

1/19 - Can Release
    FLUFF BOYS
    Collaboration with Humble Sea
    Hazy IIPA w/ Galaxy, El Dorado, and Mosaic
    9.0% Alc/Vol
    $19 per 4-Pack

DAWNBREAK
    Hazy IIPA w/ Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic
    8.0% Alc/Vol
    $18 per 4-Pack

1/26 - Bottle Release. Moksa ONE is a 15.4% Imperial Stout brewed with raw and toasted Filipino coconut and Madagascar vanilla beans. Bottle will be $22 per 500ml at a limit of TWO per person and will be released at 11am.

1/27 - Archive Bottle Release. No details yet.

FLBeerGuy likes this.
  24. Swiveln

Trader

I was able to make it to the Harlequin release. Went painless and taplist was good! Going to try and make it for the Saturday One bottle release!