Mold in chest freezer

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Kramerwtmf, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Kramerwtmf

Kramerwtmf Devotee (425) Oct 6, 2011 California
    Trader

Hey all, I have a question about mold spores growing on some of my bottles in a chest freezer. I keep it at 50 degrees and I’ve noticed, over the last few months, some bottles with mold spores growing on them.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if so what the best plan of attack is. Do I take each bottle and wipe it down with a wet towel and then dry it? Is spraying vinegar on the bottles an option?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (515) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

I had this same problem with my keezer as well, it is essentially sealed for the moist, cold and condensed air at the bottom, as opposed to your upright fridge that drops all that air out each time you open it.

The air in your keezer is essentially trapped, with any moisture from the ambient air condensing and sinking to the bottom, with no way out. This moist cold environment is perfect for mold- you can trust me on this as I live in the mold/moss Capitol of the west coast.

Home Depot/Lowe’s/Ace/Kroger all have a “damp rid” type removable water absorber, that is by far the easiest and cheapest method. You just need to replace it every 6-8 weeks or as you notice nasty moldy water collected in it.

Beer_Economicus and Kramerwtmf like this.
  3. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (440) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Sorry, that sucks man. I really hate seeing people have issues with their collection. I would like to suggest to you and anyone else reading that a full size freezer less fridge is worth the investment. Especially if you believe that the vast majority of beers do not age well (like me) and you want to keep the majority of your collection cold.

As for chest freezers
    • You can't see shit in them which sucks trying to pick a beer or admire your collection
    • Typically they require a manually installed temperature gauge
    • Horizontal storage is a bad use of space compared to vertical storage
    • Apparently, Its also a haven for mold
    Good luck trying to solve your problem!

Beer_Economicus and Kramerwtmf like this.
  4. skeevn

skeevn Initiate (44) Sep 25, 2016 Belgium
    Trader

humidity control will fix it