1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,154) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“Shares of Molson Coors Brewing Co. dropped toward their lowest close in over 5 years Monday after a double downgrade at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, which said the beer brewer will likely have to spend more and make less to stem the decline in its beer brands.

Meanwhile, Spillane said the most recent syndicated industry data from Nielsen suggests Molson Coors’ core brands, which include Coors Light, Miller High Life and Blue Moon, have continued to lose market share this year, indicating the company has been “underinvesting” in its brands versus the industry over the past three years.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/molson-coors-stock-dragged-down-by-double-downgrade-2019-07-15

Cheers!

2. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (400) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

I'm not for anybody losing jobs, but this is just more proof that the hundreds of Davids we have been supporting for years are putting a lot of bruises on the few Goliaths.

3. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,542) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

As the saying goes, you got to spend money to make money.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  4. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (274) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Absolutely. Plus brand loyalty seems to be a thing of the past for various reasons.

5. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,096) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Agreed

Sadly though I think some of that brand loyalty, or lack thereof, may be impacted by lesser QA/QC by the smaller local options and their (IMHO) greater batch-batch variability.

LeRose and ESHBG like this.
  6. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,083) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

No it's not. It is more likely they are losing market share to malternatives and hard liquor.

7. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,299) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

Used to enjoy a cold Molson Canadian here and there. Last sixer I bought tasted like somebody juiced a sweaty sock into all the bottles.

BuffaloBill12 and BenHoppy like this.
  8. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (400) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Yes, both of these factors, and a couple more. And aligning with your reason, I personally know a few females who used to drink Corona, Bud Light etc. who are now raving about White Claw.

AlcahueteJ, islay and miwestcoaster like this.
  9. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,307) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Was speaking to a new acquaintance yesterday who said she "didn't really like beer" but really liked this new orange flavored Bud Light. A couple of things strike me, (1) adding flavorings to light beer is a simple thing to do, and (2) the macros will quickly make whatever the market demands.

10. islay

islay Aspirant (289) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I'm surprised there was no mention of the vilification of corn syrup in those Bud Light ads. I suspect that campaign was extraordinarily successful in making the public perceive Miller Lite and Coors Light as inferior products.

Agreed; the wave of fruit-flavored macros has already started, and I expect soon there will be a flood. One of the things we've learned in recent years is that a whole lot of people want the image of drinking beer with the taste experience of drinking juice. Macros don't have the cool factor of craft, but they can make much less expensive product and market the heck out of it via traditional advertising instead of strategic social media posts and artificial scarcity that the micros tend to use to promote their products. I'm already seeing people on these boards praising Natural Light Naturdays for its flavor.

Junior, JayWhitson and Squire like this.
  11. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,083) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

Careful there. You might offend a whole lot of people on this site who fit that description.

12. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (873) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

We deserve it if we take ourselves too seriously

By the way, did you fix the cable?

13. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (779) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Just a reminder that the sky isn't falling. This is the stock bro equivalent of some buzzfeed click bait. People who own stock in the company will make slightly less money than expected but still make money. I guess the take away is that MillerCoors isn't quite as on the ball with the trends in the beverage industry as some of their competitors?

14. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,200) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Well, that's why they send him, he's an expert.

15. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (549) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

I'm glad to hear this as I think Coors/Molson is more evil than Abinbev. I used to love Leinenkugel Canoe Paddler on a hot summer day and now it tastes like stale Coors. MGD is another example as I used to love MGD, but once again tastes like Coors. Even Molson tastes like Coors these days. Coors buys brands and makes them all taste like Coors so as far as I'm concerned the company can go to hell.

Junior likes this.
  16. zid

zid Meyvn (1,331) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Nigel: "How much more evil could this be? And the answer is... none. None more evil." :wink:

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  17. rgordon

rgordon Savant (974) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

There is nothing new under the sun. In the late 70s, through the 80s, and I believe into the 90s wine coolers were very popular. There was no wine in them. They were made with a "malt beverage" base. California Cooler roared into the market stealing all kinds of market share. Soon followed by Sun Country, and then Bartles and James..The past is prologue.

meefmoff, AlcahueteJ, drtth and 4 others like this.
  18. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,563) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

The original wine coolers were made from a wine base. Bartles & Jaymes, for example, was made by E. & J. Gallo Winery and was wine-based.

In 1991, the federal tax on wine increased from $.17 / gal to $1.07 / gal. As a result, E. & J. reformulated Bartles & Jaymes to a malt base, but continued calling the product a "wine cooler".

Bartles & Jaymes is currently available in the original wine-based recipe.

19. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (919) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. rgordon

When Michael Crete made and owned California Cooler, he used white wine. When the brand was sold, it was changed to being a malt based product. Sun Country started out ma
    California Cooler was the first big national wine cooler brand. Originally owned and developed by Michael Crete as wine based; it only saw limited distribution.. After he sold for big bucks the new owners switched to malt based wine cooler. It was this version that stormed the market and is likely the overall category leader in sales and distribution. Bartles and Jaymes was late to the party but did very well. Gallo has always had a knack for spotting a burgeoning trend after a while and copying it well

meefmoff and AlcahueteJ like this.
  21. MNAle

Society

I wonder if the sale to Sun Country / switch to malt-based was about the same time as the fed tax increase? From what I've read, the tax increase made it not possible to continue to use wine without raising the price above what the target demographic would pay, so they switched to malt.

22. rgordon

Good question. I do remember California Cooler Orange tasting pretty good on days like today..94 degrees and a long forecast of searing heat.

23. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,852) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The TTB COLA site lists only the FMB versions from 2012-2014 (but it ain't the easier site to search).
    [​IMG]

AlcahueteJ and LuskusDelph like this.
  24. MNAle

Society

Bartles & Jaymes - E. & J. Gallo Winery

Note the last sentence:
    Although, I likely overstated when I said "original recipe"... it doesn't say that. Maybe it has a little wine along with the malt base?

AlcahueteJ and rgordon like this.
  25. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, they have a US TTB Brewery License, too (that's what the "BR" stands for) - looks like they also make some Boone's Farm, Delicia and Thunderbird-branded flavored malt beverages under the same permit.
    But, given how old the COLA's are for the B&J, they could have changed the products. Odd, though, they don't show up in name search.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  26. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (504) Mar 19, 2012 California

Ah yes, wine coolers. Brings back memories of showing up at a friends house in the 80s and finding his face had a bunch of scabs. Apparently, he drank a few too many wine coolers at a Niners game or concert (can't remember which) and on the way home, his friend pulled over the side of the highway so he could piss. He passed out while pissing and slid down the hill. I don't remember if there was other damage to him...

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  27. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (779) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

so what we've learned so far is that if MillerCoors is going to bounce back from this devestating report they need to shoulder into the wine coolers game?

Ranbot and rgordon like this.
  28. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,154) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

With scabs!?!:astonished:

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  29. jesskidden

Society Trader

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  30. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (121) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

I'll know the beer-pocalypse is upon us when theres a demand for Hazy BCM (they are already getting into barrel aging):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

stevepat likes this.
  31. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Wait, you mean their stock doesn't stay at a fixed level always?

32. jesskidden

Society Trader

"BCM" ? What is that?

Beer_Stan, MNAle and AlcahueteJ like this.
  33. MNAle

Society

Dyslexic BMC? :wink:

Ranbot and Beer_Stan like this.
  34. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I don't know, drinking this beer sure doesn't make you LOOK like you're drinking a beer...

[​IMG]

Well, as has been stated already...

I noticed there's no link to Zima.

I know they reintroduced it a year or two ago for a limited time (I know because I bought some!), and then I recall them releasing it again recently. Did they pull it back again?

Sounds like a radio station.

drtth likes this.
  35. jesskidden

Society Trader

:astonished: Oh, damn - you're likely correct - somehow just didn't register with me. Sure, the breweries in the US that are best known for their AAL's (Adjunct American Lagers, right? :wink:)

Ah, always hated the "BMC" abbreviation, since it was often not clear if people using them were discussing the breweries (in which case, it's AB that brews Budweiser), the (former) flagship brands or their newer "light" versions (BLMLCL) which now outsell them, the AAL style of beer, all "macro" breweries, etc.

Oh, so not "Ballistic Continental Missile" ?

#35 jesskidden, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    AlcahueteJ, cavedave and MNAle like this.
  36. jesskidden

Society Trader

First year of revival was 2017 and last year they said:
    So maybe it's become an annual "summer" release?

How were the lines at the Shenandoah brewery in Virginia - anyone hear?

"Frosted tips" ? I don't know what that means (either)...

#36 jesskidden, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (418) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Does anyone remember when Sun Country was sold in 2 liter bottles?

There was a bodega near where I grew up that was run by an elderly Asian couple who did not realize (or feigned ignorance) that these 2 liter bottles contained alcohol. One summer in high school we drank so many of them that I couldn't stand anything peach flavored for about a decade afterwards.

Good times :flushed:

38. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (383) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

It was a hair-dying technique popular in the disco era...it’s pretty self-explanatory, if it’s what I think it was...though I was still a hippie and hanging with hippie girls during the 80s, and hippie girls did not get “frosted tips.”

39. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

They weren't bad, since Zima came in bottles and not 4 packs of 16 oz. cans.

Ok good, I'm not the only one who didn't get that reference.

I know what frosted tips are, I just didn't get the reference being used for Zima.

However, they were popular in the 90s too. My brothers and I all had frosted tips. They returned to popularity due to Sugar Ray and Eminem.

Maybe that's why they're referencing it, because Zima was a 90s/early 2000s thing?

I wonder if that Asian couple is feigning ignorance with New England IPAs too?

"What, they're just juice right? It says JUICY right on the label."

meefmoff likes this.
  40. rgordon

Then there were the glitter people. They sparkled. But it was the 70s.