1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Monkish Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Frosty11161, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Disciple (368) May 2, 2016 California
    Society Trader

Yes I know it's a day early, the previous "Monkish Brewing Winter 2018" was removed so we can convert this do a cleaner yearly format it seems. Previous threads have had a lot of the chatter die down so we don't need to have monthly/quarterly for them.

@OTB tagging you since you were the OP of the last one.

OTB and ScottWoerner like this.
  2. OTB

OTB Devotee (429) Sep 2, 2011 California

Awesome Frosty ! We started the quarterly format a long time ago to actually make it easier to use as the traffic was so heavy back then, makes sense to me !

Cheers,

3. OTB

[​IMG]

Kicking off the evening festivities with this. I love that its southern passion.It's ready if your sitting on cans.

Cheers,

310gts and HopHead89 like this.
  4. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (149) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Trader

Looks like Im cracking one tonight. Cheers and thankx for me letting me know. Happy New Year by the by the way fellow BAers

5. OTB

My pleasure Andrew ! I think you'll love how it's drinking right now and let us now what you think. Backpack is drinking insane right now too if you got any of the growler fills, maybe one of the best triples Henry has brewed IMHO.

Cheers,

HopHead89 likes this.
  6. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (4,961) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Any day this Wed-Fri better in particular to come visit the taproom- I’m visiting family in LA this week and may possibly want to get some growlers to take home but I’m staying in Azusa so it’s quite a haul.

7. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Disciple (352) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Gotta check their instagram feed. I would assume Friday since they didn't have many growler fill options at year end and they are always putting up new IPAs. I wouldn't bother trying to get a can release if you are short on time.

Stevedore likes this.
  8. Stevedore

Trader

Yeah no interest in waiting in lines on this trip.

9. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Disciple (352) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

They like pretty much every brewery in California (used to not be this way) will fill growlers from other breweries so long as you cover up the growler so bring a couple from home because the LA glass can be pricey. They are really good with updating their Instagram lists so hopefully they'll have something good for you. Have a good time Steve.

10. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (95) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

I'd pick Friday solely because they're open earlier. And if there's a can drop, just ignore it and head straight to the tap room.

Stevedore likes this.
  11. IQBlue

IQBlue Initiate (119) Oct 2, 2014 California

Something just dawned on me that I never really thought about....how long does it usually take for a can release line of 200-250 people to dwindle down to no line there?

12. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

Depends on how many people want full allocation. The Relaxist one took FOREVER cuz no one wanted the Pilsner or very little of it, so they had to keep breaking down the trays and such.

Full allocation on everything, the line can go quickly.

R1c0rtez likes this.
  13. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (89) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

They can have up to 4 POS machines going at once so they can crank out orders pretty quickly. I don’t think I’ve waited longer than 20 minutes in the past half year now

14. HopHead89

Trader

usually by 5:30-6pm the line is gone and you just can walk up. that's my sweet spot to pick up cans.

OTB and R1c0rtez like this.
  15. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (771) Jul 1, 2009 California

Damn, did I miss a can release today? I stopped in Smog for some merch and a crowler fill. If I had known about a can release, maybe....or not. Oh well. Maybe next year? :rofl:

16. OTB

[​IMG]

Taking one for the team cuz I've always wanted to crush one of these uber fresh. They've amped up the hops, Galaxy, Citra and Simcoe big time in this second batch and you can tell. Big boy beer, juicy AF and hoppy as hell. This is going to fun to see where this goes in a few weeks, but if you scored today I'd say find a comfortable seat and explore on your own. This is very very good. The definition of a hop monster at this stage.

Cheers,

17. OTB

It was a great double can drop today David, I was heading back down from Santa Monica and saw the Instagram notification, in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Cheers buddy and happy new year !

HopHead89 likes this.
  18. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (771) Jul 1, 2009 California

Happy New Years Bud.

HopHead89 and OTB like this.
  19. HopHead89

Trader

Quick pick-up and a quick hello, dont mind not having to wait in line but I did miss talking beer while in line. Ohhh well maybe next release bud!

OTB likes this.
  20. OTB

It was good to see you albeit briefly, I too was in and out in 10 minutes max, now plop down on that comfy easy chair and crack the top on a can of batch 2 ! BTW, did you pop a Most Is Most ? If so what did you think of it as an infant ?

Cheers,

HopHead89 likes this.
  21. OTB

[​IMG]

1st 2019 batch of this long time staple and its delicious, drinking great right out of the gate, saturated Galaxy goodness on every level.

Cheers,

22. victoreyes

victoreyes Initiate (96) Jan 5, 2010 California

Just cracked one myself Bud and wow! I feel the 12% but can’t taste it. Good to see you for those 10 seconds haha. Cheers!

OTB and HopHead89 like this.
  23. HopHead89

Trader

I havent popped a can for myself but I did crack one open at my bottle share last weekend. From the 2oz pour I drank I thought it was tremendous. Mind you I was already a couple drinks in. Haha Still have some cans left of Most is Most to crack tho...

24. Stevedore

Trader

Following up on these helpful comments- I ended up rolling over to Torrance after chowing down on some ramen in Little Tokyo- traffic was surprisingly clear and I got there at open on Friday- parked on the opposite side of Western Ave and rolled in and lo and behold, a double can release. I actually stuck to my original plan and went in and got tasters of some of the items on the menu- Resilience and Beats is Infinite stood out to me- and there ended up being no line for cans so I grabbed some Beats is Infinite to take home since I couldn't get growler fills of that- and then went back to DTLA to visit Mumford and HPB. Great day and I was impressed by Monkish's operation and their system for canned releases- but I can see how it sucks for people who have standard working hours..

R1c0rtez likes this.
  25. IQBlue

IQBlue Initiate (119) Oct 2, 2014 California

Interesting. Monkish’s Head Brewer job is open according to their latest IG/Tweet

Stevedore, 310gts and HopHead89 like this.
  26. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (109) Jul 29, 2016 California

All right fine I'll do it.

27. 310gts

310gts Initiate (45) Jun 22, 2018 California
    Trader

Anyone know if Henry is trying to be at the brewery less or if someone (/some people) have moved on with that openings post? I am hoping its nothing major, lol.

28. HopHead89

Trader

29. OTB

[​IMG]

I love the out of the norm hop bill for this beer. Pacific Jade, Rakau Amarillo and Citra. Super aromatic with gobs of juicy tropical and citrus fruits on a light creamy body, hides the 8.6% extremely well,very cool red grapefruit kiss on the very back end. I hope we see more recipes like this in 2019.

Cheers,

Izzy_Izumi and HopHead89 like this.
  30. OTB

They are hiring more skilled positions to increase the production and consistency across the board for 2019, and thats from the horses mouth today when I was in filling up for the weekend.

Cheers,

31. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

Red grapefruit! That's the fruit I was trying to place when having some this past Saturday.

OTB likes this.
  32. OTB

I've noticed some lag time with Monkishs' on line updating over the last few weeks, usually they are spot on with updates on new releases etc. but lately it's been hit or miss.Today they've posted Time Travelin' IPA but it's not clear if it's on for fills or not, usually when I see an IPA/DIPA with no growler PP after it that usually means it's a can release, but it doesn't look like there was a can release today, thankfully with all the rain. When they released Government Shutdown last week for fills they didn't post the allotment. When I got there it was 2PP. I only mention this because these guys are usually so on top of their social media updates and lately its been kind of confusing what available and for how it's being distributed.

Cheers,

310gts likes this.
  33. HopHead89

Trader

I'm just hoping they release today!!!

34. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

^ Is it cuz you're on your way to the Dojo also?

IcyTrout likes this.
  35. HopHead89

Trader

actually I was going to go to the dojo as well, but monkish didn't release today so it seems I aint going!

36. OTB

I am hoping Monkish holds off on their release this week until this crazy weather passes, tomorrow looks bad so most likely a Friday or Saturday release. I was in LA today so picked up all my MT cans, I posted a quick look at DDH Dino World on the MT thread, it will blow you away. BTW, did you order Dino on line? It actually sold out which usually doesn't happen with the majority of MT's beers, usually there are extras that the folks that didn't order on line can walk in and pick up, not this time.

Cheers,

#36 OTB, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    HopHead89 likes this.
  37. 562Brew

562Brew Initiate (52) Mar 5, 2018 California
    Trader

Well Smog City is releasing Infinite Wishes on Saturday.

jamesar and IcyTrout like this.
  38. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (107) Feb 1, 2018 California

And HPB is release GJG Friday.

39. HopHead89

Trader

Yes, I did o
    Yes I did purchase online. Got me 2 4pks, loved dinosaur world last year. Can only imagine how good it is going to be ddh

40. 310gts

310gts Initiate (45) Jun 22, 2018 California
    Trader

cmon triple can release for the sun coming out today. XD