Monkish Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Frosty11161, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OTB

OTB Devotee (485) Sep 2, 2011 California

90-100 cases max.

Cheers,

HopHead89 likes this.
  2. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (174) Jul 29, 2016 California

I like how an extremely small batch is still twice as much as Three Chiefs releases. :no_mouth:

BeerBaron666 and J-loco like this.
  3. OTB

Whats a Three Chiefs ?

4. ScottWoerner

ScottWoerner Initiate (75) Jan 5, 2017 California
    Trader

Have an extra can for a fellow LB local? ; ]

5. OTB

That was the release this week.

Cheers,

mlobster likes this.
  6. OTB

Unfortunately I have only 4 cans Scott. It is still on for fills though.

Cheers,

7. ScottWoerner

Trader

I am going to try and make it tonight. How is it tasting?

8. OTB

I had a taste last night and it was amazing ! Super concentrated Nelson goodness ! I think you’ll love it.

Cheers

HopHead89 likes this.
  9. ScottWoerner

Trader

Looking forward to it, thanks for the feedback.

OTB likes this.
  10. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (101) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

That SP colab sounds delicious... hopefully Eventbrite?

11. OTB

[​IMG]

Good gawd. I wish there was smell-a-vision, the nose is the OG Alpine x100, it's dank, dirty, dieselly and earthy AF. The flavors are tropical yet citrusy and vinous and green and hoppy and wonderfully balanced.

Cheers,

pro100, jrnyc, grilledsquid and 2 others like this.
  12. lucius10

lucius10 Champion (861) Aug 1, 2017 California
    Trader

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Whoa...this is outstanding...the aromatics had me picking up the glass just to appreciate it...

[​IMG]

atomicpunk5151, OTB and HopHead89 like this.
  13. OTB

Nothing like it.

Cheers,

14. mlobster

mlobster Initiate (61) Dec 30, 2012 California
    Trader

I think there’s another release this week.

15. OTB

That’s what I hear too.
    Cheers

16. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (101) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

And there it is... another triple can release

HopHead89 and OTB like this.
  17. OTB

[​IMG]

I'm going to hang on tight to the few cans I was fortunate to get but I'm going in on the growlers starting tonight. I could just snort this stuff for hours, the nose is that insane and the rest ain't to shabby either.

Cheers,

pro100, jrnyc, J-loco and 3 others like this.
  18. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,957) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Grabbed a Space Churro on draft today along with growlers of Broadcasting Live and Foggy Window. Space Churro (brewed with cookies, milk sugar, vanilla beans, and cinnamon) could have been a total mess, but it was smooth and lightly creamy perfection.

19. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (131) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

Question: Going to be in the area from Thurs-Sun and wondering what the best day & time might be to go where you can get fills, something on tap & maybe cans without an extreme shit show. Never been to Monkish so your advice is appreciated! I avoid the OH releases here in NYC but they have cans now whenever you go. I’m assuming from recent research, these cans go same day like OH Saturdays used to be.

20. OTB

Any day is good for fills and pours. They open at 4pm Mon-Thur, Fri 1PM, Sat. Sun.at noon. They have been doing a lot of Friday can releases early on Friday, usually around 12-ish. If there is not a can release it's usually pretty mellow in the tasting room. Currently the tap/growler list is as good as it's been in quite sometime. Enjoy ! Remember can release's are random and announced the day of, usually a couple hours in advance except Fridays when they'll just post it when they open, just check their Twitter and IG updates.

Cheers,

#740 OTB, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  21. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

Damn. Didn’t like Broadcasting Live at all. It had such hype, so maybe I expected too much? It just wasn’t pungent to me. It tasted like muted, dirty fruit. On the otherhand, Foggy Window was one of the best IPA’s I’ve ever had.

Redondo_Terp and HopHead89 like this.
  22. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,152) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

On can release days like today as I see, if I don’t want cans is there a different line for growler fills and if so is it longer than days when no can release? Does the added people there deplete the supply of tap beer for fills? In Hermosa for vacation swung by Monday for growler fills, planning on going later today hoping can release doesnt make it a hassle.

BTW drank a lot of Nelson back in the day, I lurk on these threads from time to time. Had a pour of Broadcasting Live, very nice smell, soft and savory taste, enjoyed it!

Cheers!

23. mlobster

mlobster Initiate (61) Dec 30, 2012 California
    Trader

Yes, there is a different line for growler fills; all fills are sold and filled in the taproom.

Yes, it is longer than a non can release day simply because there are more people present.

Most likely.

jrnyc likes this.
  24. Takeanotherswing

Trader

Was wondering the same thing. Heading to Hermosa tomorrow thru Sunday, so it’s either Thursday or Friday for me for weekend beach growler fills. Was thinking Smog City too since it’s super close.

25. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,152) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

According to IG post today is only can release. Where you staying in Hermosa?

26. Takeanotherswing

Trader

Ah so no Friday release too this week? Good to know. A Beach house near 24th st & manhattan I think.

27. OTB

Dang dude, would have loved to hook up and had a beer with you ! If you don't want cans wait until around 5:30 - 6:00, the can crowd will have thinned out big time and the tap room should be pretty chill.

Cheers,

jrnyc likes this.
  28. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (360) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Drinking a 2-1 and Lewis right now...

Absolutely insane how opaque this is... yet zero hop burn, no chalkiness, no acidic aftertaste, and not sweet at all. Nice and smooth and almost dry. Not usually a fan of beers that are this opaque but this one has zero of the issues often associated with that look.

Ponzu4u and OTB like this.
  29. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (321) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

The regulars can add to this but I think that's why people love Monkish so much...they execute the style very well.

LGHT likes this.
  30. OTB

There is a reason Henry's beers are so sought after. The guy has his own style, he basically created the west coast hazy, I hate hype, but if there is one brewery that lives up to it here locally, Monkish is one.

Cheers,

LGHT, 310gts, HopHead89 and 3 others like this.
  31. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (360) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

I’ve had a decent amount of Monkish but none as smooth and easy drinking as this. Usually get a bit of burn or some acidity. Zero in this one.

chemman14 likes this.
  32. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (888) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Speaking of west coast.....I thought after Blind Pug he was going to start brewing and can regular west coast clear American IPA's? And what the heck is SoMa IPA? Saw that terminology used in another thread. Too many IPA style's to keep up with.

33. _pat_

_pat_ Initiate (56) Apr 26, 2016 California
    Trader

I've seen Green Cheek use that terminology used to describe Cellarmaker's style of IPA. They describe it as a dry finishing hazy west coast fermented with a neutral yeast fwiw

thuey and HopHead89 like this.
  34. dcgunman

Trader

Just call it Hazy ipa for god damn sakes man!! :rage:
    Maybe Cellarmaker should call all their hazy ipa Cell IPA's?

35. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (161) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Trader

have you cracked any of ur monk cans yet? or waiting for them to mellow out a bit?

36. dcgunman

Trader

One can each. Got a 4pk last night on way home from work.

37. HopHead89

Trader

what you think of the space churro!?

38. dcgunman

Trader

You read my reply on IG. Didn't care for it, but will let a can sit for a bit and try it again. If it still taste funky I will trade the 2 cans left away. Not that it was terribly bad or anything. It just wasn't for me. The other 2 I liked. I will try Bond Stain this weekend. And let you know. It was great to see you last Friday. I know you had to roll on outta there and back to work.

HopHead89 likes this.
  39. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

I loved Space Churro!

40. HopHead89

Trader

that's right you did tell me. yeah, I was on my lunch so I had to get outta there. looks like your turning into a haze bro now with all these monkish appearances. lol :beers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.