Monkish Brewing Co.

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by HopHead89, Dec 1, 2017.

1. homer281

homer281 Aspirant (203) Nov 21, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

But is the can art in Dodger's colors?

2. OTB

OTB Devotee (419) Sep 2, 2011 California

I just read the IG posting for this so called anniversary party.

“ To show appreciation for those who supported us every day”

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

The fleecing of the lot lizard Haze Bros continues. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves, seriously.

Cheers

BeerBaron666 and homer281 like this.
  3. homer281

Beer Trader

That's right up there with this cringe-worthy line from the Eventbrite page:
    "Due to the exclusivity of this event, we have some rules that are different than our usual Tasting Room regulations:"

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  4. taylordane

taylordane Initiate (117) Dec 28, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

If you read the comments you'll be relieved to see a good amount of the bros rejecting the absurd price. About time they question their blind loyalty to their daddy.

5. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Aspirant (267) Nov 18, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

The only thing that relieves me about Monkish is their ability to still churn out quality Belgians/wilds like Black Kisses. Everything about the hazy IPA crowd and attitude over there turns me off, especially when there are plenty of other serviceable options in the LA area.

6. OTB

Until the next can release!

Cheers

tokimedo likes this.
  7. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (546) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I wonder if DOT will be there

OTB likes this.
  8. R1c0rtez

R1c0rtez Initiate (136) Oct 5, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Should I set up a GoFundMe page so this forum can send me on a scouting report?

homer281 likes this.
  9. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Zealot (552) Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Can't you be like the rest of the Monkish regulars and razzle your teku/hazy beer to pay for your crushing alcohol dependency/rent/ child support?

Stop looking for hand outs, bro. Earn it like the rest of them by flipping beer swag.

:stuck_out_tongue:

10. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (183) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

There are just as many "clear the calendar" and "f5 for the win" comments.
    All people need to do is sale or razzle a 4 pack they have sitting in their fridge and it's paid for.

11. IQBlue

IQBlue Initiate (188) Oct 2, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

The second perk is exclusive access to the Otis and Bean bottle before general public. Chance to buy...not included. I wonder if they'll justify the $100 ticket price after they sell out tomorrow and in the coming weeks.

12. OTB

As a child my parents taught me a golden rule, you never thank anyone and then ask for money. Plain and simple. I have to disagree a bit with @jnance post above, while I have read those posts I have also read many more from regular customers,the lot lizard haze bro's who are taking this hard, and I don't disagree with them, we have seen the can line demographic, trust me folks, many of these poor souls don't have an extra $105 bucks laying around and yet they are the one's responsible for lining Henry's pockets with hoppy cash, ironically they will be the ones that get priced out this event. Monkish, you want to thank everyone for their loyal support, why don't you invite them up to your place free of charge, have special pricing on beers, discounts on food, and really look like your grateful and loving of their support.

Cheers,

#572 OTB, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Flodiesel and JayORear like this.
  13. micahburns

micahburns Initiate (167) Oct 2, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Hopefully they have a valet ticket like service for all the strollers?

windycityone and Dka67 like this.
  14. yokels

yokels Initiate (43) Sep 5, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Isn't that what Monkish did last year? No tickets, special release, discount pours. etc. Except they still got tons of flak for it because the haze bros made it a shit show with long lines, overnight shares, etc. With their demand and size it just doesn't work both ways.

Eternal218, ESCO138, homer281 and 2 others like this.
  15. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (136) Jul 29, 2016 California

Didn't realize it's also $45 to be a designated driver.

heh

16. IQBlue

Beer Trader

For $45, that better be one helluva a meal and giveaways. Not sure if $45 to be sober is worth dealing with a bunch of drunk bros though

17. jnance88

Beer Trader

Faster. Than. Fruit. Cart.
    People really thought this wasn't going to be an instant sellout? :rofl:

micahburns, R1c0rtez and homer281 like this.
  18. homer281

Beer Trader

I just saw that too... so potentially more than 500 patrons at this little parking lot?

19. IQBlue

Beer Trader

I actually tried with no intention of going to see if that little zero quantity bug on Eventbrite would happen. And it did.

20. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (180) Feb 8, 2017 California

Don't you mean OSHA and the FDA, DEA and especially the CDC :grimacing:

Redondo_Terp and R1c0rtez like this.
  21. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Zealot (552) Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

No one thought it wasn't going to sell out in a second. Come on, that's not the criticism. The extremely high price point is what the discussion is about.

Besides, we all are aware that any of these going can easily flip that teku to be way in the black while also being blackout drunk in a torrance industrial parking lot. So it's like the old days of line shares.

22. OTB

Oh I dont think anyone ever doubted that it would be an instant sell out, 500 tickets is nothing, hell I've seen 17,500 tickets go in minutes. No I think the chatter here was more focused on the cost. Good for Monkish, they are dealing baby !

Cheers,

homer281 likes this.
  23. homer281

Beer Trader

I just heard from my sources: all saison lineup, it's going to be epic.

windycityone, dvnb, Flodiesel and 9 others like this.
  24. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (155) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

I didn't try for this sale because I think the pricing and venue are a joke, but I wanted to chime in on your comment. I've been experiencing that zero quantity bug since around August of last year. Click "tickets" the second a sale starts, and quantity is selectable but only shows 0, then you have to refresh for it to show as an actual selectable quantity. Was working just fine before August, now it's been busted for half a year at this point. It's incredibly annoying for quick sales, i.e. some BL Stasis releases. I've reported it to Eventbrite twice and haven't heard back either time. They don't give a shit.

IQBlue, R1c0rtez and Dka67 like this.
  25. mlobster

mlobster Initiate (48) Dec 30, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

That'd be awesome - I'd love all saison with Casey, SARA, Holy Mountain, Side Project, Tired Hands and Suarez coming; that'd work really well in SoCal "spring."

26. ESCO138

ESCO138 Aspirant (232) Dec 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I agree, wouldn't be mad about this at all. Those Suarez Saison's are amazing.

homer281 and mlobster like this.
  27. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (732) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Hey that's not bad. I think it's cheaper to Uber from HB. $45 for DD. WTF! I think this craft thing is getting out of control.

ElijahSF likes this.
  28. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (128) Aug 3, 2017 California

We got tix, last minute decision.

Gonna uber from LBC. I'm excited, and thankful GF got us tickets.

29. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Aspirant (203) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

$45 DD plus paying for parking in a lot, I wonder if parking is going to be like Doyer Estadium and cost $20. At 500 tickets it is probably like 300 people bought tickets, with the limit 2.

30. clayfu

clayfu Initiate (178) Apr 27, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I’m in. Want to see the chaos from my vip bottle service booth

31. IQBlue

Beer Trader

I actually emailed Lindsay at Bottle Logic to have her check with Eventbrite's tech team on the issue. She said she'd check but I haven't heard anything since October. Emailed her again today to see if she can have them look into it since they'll probably listen to her more than they will us.

32. jnance88

Beer Trader

Oh, yay. Milkshake IPA's have landed.

33. SDReaper

SDReaper Zealot (578) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

It has nutmeg in it.....like...what?

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  34. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Aspirant (214) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I've got to try one of those milkshake beers.

That sh*t sounds foookin terrible.

the_trystero likes this.
  35. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (155) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

Monktiki is very interesting. The pineapple, coconut, orange, and nutmeg hits your palate in waves. Wasn't a huge fan of Space Cookie, but I enjoy this one. I'm skeptical of the milkshake IPA style, but this is a fun beer.

By the way, that line was an absolute nightmare. Was the worst that I've seen personally there, but then again I haven't been to many of these releases. Staying away from any future releases with sub-100 case counts for now on. Walking away with just a single 4-pack after waiting in line for an hour was not worth it.

#595 BreakingMyBalls, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    windycityone, Serna714 and R1c0rtez like this.
  36. pro100

pro100 Initiate (147) Oct 12, 2014 California

I've done a few Monkish lines myself. Not too bad the times I've went but now I'm leaning towards Modern Times now since they've landed in LA. High quality haze but with a much easier experience all around.

37. the_trystero

the_trystero Disciple (384) Mar 19, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Designated driver tickets have always been the worst deals at any brewery party I've ever been to. $6 worth of food and maybe a craft soda or coffee. I've never understood this, it's always such a ripoff. At one (big) anniversary party our DD had to beg for glassware that was supposed to be included because no one had told the folks at check in. Even then, $6 worth of food, a soda, and a glass all for $40 at that one. Nah. That's just dumb.

38. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (235) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

shit, id pay $45 for a "DD" rooftop seat just to people watch this potential shitstorm of an event.

39. croush

croush Defender (653) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Would you guys mind sharing what time approximately you have typically arrived there prior to or after opening for some of the releases you've been to? I'm coming in next month and am toying with the idea of trying for cans if they do a release while I'm there. Just curious to know how bad the process really is. Based on some of the comments, I'm leaning towards just going in for some growlers, but the thought of cans is alluring.

40. Flodiesel

Flodiesel Initiate (22) Jan 4, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

I seem to recall during the Modern Times 4th Anniversary Jamboree the DD ticket was much cheaper, maybe $10? Doesn't make any sense for it to be much higher than that. But the thing is - as everyone already knows - Monkish knows they can charge almost whatever they want for anything and it will sell out.

the_trystero likes this.