Monkish Brewing (February 2017)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by JayORear, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-loco

J-loco Aspirant (213) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Trader

Already drinking bros.

At Smog City that is.

2. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (337) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Why does Monkish feel the need to specify the limits are per person/per day for releases that never last more than a few hours?

UnknownKoger likes this.
  3. ac24

ac24 Aspirant (200) Nov 17, 2014 California
    Trader

So people dont get back in line and try and buy more?

Ponzu4u, DCLAguy11 and J_BeerTimeYo like this.
  4. Jfa82

Jfa82 Initiate (143) Apr 9, 2016 California
    Trader

For anyone that's there, is that chick that sells cans in line already selling?

5. pinballplayer

Trader

Wouldn't per person cover that? Per day makes it seem like you can come back tomorrow for more.

6. J-loco

Trader

Why does it matter?

ac24 likes this.
  7. ac24

Trader

You're right. Are we moving on from the usual kids, online sales, etc.. to now criticizing the wording they use?

J-loco and pinballplayer like this.
  8. pinballplayer

Trader

Mostly just sad I've never tried a Monkish IPA and probably never will...unless the per day part is applicable.

9. Jfa82

Trader

They could change the wording to"per hour" and you probably wouldn't get any anyway.

10. homer281

homer281 Initiate (121) Nov 21, 2013 California

Just head over there after they sell out and try it on draft, and they usually have at least 1 or 2 IPAs on for growlers.

11. ac24

Trader

@sankykid this^^^

12. J-loco

Trader

It's on draft. You don't have to collect every can.

13. OTB

OTB Zealot (505) Sep 2, 2011 California

If she is its her last time buying beer at Monkish, they told me they are on to her and are going to 86 her if they haven't already.

Cheers,

micahburns and Jfa82 like this.
  14. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (690) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

You mean Dot?

More than likely, @tokimedo can confirm/deny though.

Jfa82 likes this.
  15. mtrovato328

mtrovato328 Initiate (35) Dec 8, 2015 California

She came by and offered me $150/4pk... I bought 3 on the spot!

J-loco and SDReaper like this.
  16. mtrovato328

Pretty smooth today today minus one thing.... there were A LOT of line cutters... most I've ever seen anywhere..."chat and cut" is pretty lame

17. Jfa82

Trader

Yeah, never seen her, but it be hilarious to see her get denied.

18. supertech

supertech Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2015 California

Is there a separate growler and draft line? last time i was there (months) there was only one line for both. hard to wait for a second round

19. ayearetee

ayearetee Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2016 California

To this date - there is still only one line for pours and growlers. I think they are in the process of adding a growler-only station to make things more efficient. Protip: always order 2 pours so you don't have to wait in line again and close out everytime (sometimes line gets ridiculous) :slight_smile:

rails and J_BeerTimeYo like this.
  20. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (938) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Still one line unless its been changed recently.

21. gregoryG

gregoryG Aspirant (212) Sep 8, 2009 California
    Trader

Doesn't their numbered ticket system take care of that? I thought I remember people on here saying that Monkish now checks a number that goes with your wristband, and only sells in the order the wristbands were handed out in.

22. J_BeerTimeYo

J_BeerTimeYo Initiate (106) Aug 31, 2016 California
    Trader

I think he's talking about before the wristbands were handed out.

When I got to the front, they were calling out the wristband numbers as they cut them off to make sure no one was cutting.

23. mtrovato328

That too, but I got there after wristbands and ppl were coming out of nowhere and saying hi to their bro's and then staying in line... I was able to chase one person away but the other 2 stayed.

It's tough to monitor the whole line but I'd be pissed if I missed out on beer due to someone cutting me

24. ayearetee

In my experience, they merely use the wristbands to mainly keep count of their allocations and know when to switch to a lower quantity. Near the end of the line - they don't even bother looking at wristbands, so if you came after they stopped handing them out - line cutters are able to do what they want.

25. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

They actually enforce the per person purchase, scanning the ID basically means that you can't cut back in until the folks with the wristbands are done and even then I've seen them turn folks away double dipping.

One thing to factor in is that there's a lot of folks who do go and say hi to their friends, I do it all the time, but then go back to their place in line. The # on the wrist band prevents folks from just jumping in as they do keep the count as they cut off the wristband.

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  26. OTB

OTB Zealot (505) Sep 2, 2011 California

[​IMG]

This is Lights Out good. Nice hanging out with Victor and Sean as we filled up today. Its been a couple weeks since I've had any of Henry's elixirs, this was worth the break.

Cheers,

27. J-loco

Trader

Also got a growler today. For the record Deadful Melody is solid for you crazy kids who like blonde Belgians

micahburns and UnknownKoger like this.
  28. SovereignGood

SovereignGood Aspirant (246) Jan 11, 2016 California
    Trader

Just curious, but why is it that the DDH beers usually have lower carb than others? I've noticed Foggier and Deep Concentration both had less than most of Monkish's other beers and it looks like Lights Are Out is similar.

Also, any thoughts on lupulin powder? More breweries seem to be using it lately.

29. victoreyes

victoreyes Initiate (105) Jan 5, 2010 California
    Trader

Haha. Likewise. Always good times when you got good company and leave with some monkish. Enjoy.

OTB likes this.
  30. ayearetee

I've also had this same observation. The DDH beers are far less carbed than the normal beers. Lupulin powder is a little funky for me, sometimes the taste comes in too strong.

I did have Lights Are Out this weekend and it was amazing. Probably one of the best growler fills Monkish has offered in awhile - pretty similar to Deep Concentration, but a tad less hoppy. I was very impressed.

J_BeerTimeYo likes this.
  31. taylordane

taylordane Initiate (137) Dec 28, 2015 California
    Trader

32. homer281

homer281 Initiate (121) Nov 21, 2013 California

33. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (169) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

Driving from Richmond to Brooklyn sounds awful, these people need a new hobby. I can't wait for there to be 100's of breweries making these and then no one will really care about these "special releases." I like hazy IPA's, but I can drink plenty of west coast IPA's that are better and with no hype.

34. erichxedge

erichxedge Initiate (126) Nov 29, 2009 California

“You party in the morning, then dad in the afternoon,”

Just this statement alone is so douchey.

Would rather drink West Coast IPAs anyways ... Not saying Monkish beer isnt great, but damn is it really worth standing in line for 4 hours for a few cans? And even if its profit, standing in line all that time for a couple hundred?

35. ayearetee

Just curious, would you standing in line for 1.5 or 2 hours for 8-12 Monkish cans? In addition to that, about a 30 min drive each way?

Just trying to gauge everyone's beer thresholds. Haha.

36. jamesar

jamesar Initiate (168) Mar 13, 2012 California

Can release today, new batch of Really Real

37. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (169) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

No, I think the max I'd wait is 15 mins, and I would want to guarantee cans before I left.

38. Jfa82

Trader

Man, the threat of rain did not scare away the people with strollers. Man. At least bring an umbrella. I know we disagree on this issue, but even you pro "children in beer lines" people have to agree there is a limit to this.

39. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Aspirant (228) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

1 line pic up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.