Monkish Brewing (January 2017)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by SovereignGood, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovereignGood

SovereignGood (0) Jan 11, 2016 California

New thread for January.

2. J_BeerTimeYo

J_BeerTimeYo (0) Aug 31, 2016 California

Happy new beer!

taylordane likes this.
  3. SovereignGood

Anyone stop by for the new batch of Foggy Window?

4. sdhopaddict

sdhopaddict (0) Oct 9, 2016 California

I did and holy whoa foggy windows was fantastic. First double ipa I've had from them and wow! Creamy and super juicy and lots of citrus and mango. Even at $5 a 8oz I ordered as much as I could drink. Cans should be coming soon.

5. FinnishFox

FinnishFox (205) Sep 28, 2016 California
    Trader

Yep... is it a new batch or just a keg they still had?

Last night was pretty quiet at the taproom - they had Soul Foudre w/ Blueberries, Rara Avis and Bisous for in-house, no hop fills though.

6. sdhopaddict

sdhopaddict (0) Oct 9, 2016 California

So they already went through all the Kiss the Sky bottles they had available in the morning. That was epic stuff too. Glad they brought out some of those so I could try it before the next bottle release.

7. FinnishFox

Trader

^ KTS is delicious too. Had that the other day when they began offering in-house stuff.

8. SovereignGood

FW back in cans today

9. asong_net

asong_net (210) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

yikes... foggy in cans today? this gonna sell out quick

R1c0rtez likes this.
  10. Javii

Javii (0) Sep 23, 2010 California

It's a busy week for cans. We still have Mumford, HPB, and Noble Ale with possibly a second monkish release this week as well.

jnance88 likes this.
  11. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

Yeah, I think I'll sit this one out since I had a growler fill of Foggy not too long ago. Seems like this is going to be one that is flipped more because of how often it seems to pop up being brewed.

12. ComradePalmer

ComradePalmer (364) Jul 27, 2015 California

It puts a really bad taste in my mouth when Monkish uploads a video of them opening the doors for their can release and the first thing I see is a kid running up and being placed in his stroller.

13. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 (0) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

Yeah I don't like kids either

rails, erjaq, Black_Rider and 8 others like this.
  14. Akahoshi

Akahoshi (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

When did they post that?

15. ComradePalmer

Whoops, looks like Beer Paper LA posted it. My sentiment toward it remains.

grilledsquid likes this.
  16. Earlycsquid

Beer Paper LA is still a thing?

DCLAguy11 and Atrox77 like this.
  17. BeersandBread

BeersandBread (0) Jan 20, 2016 California

Well it's legal, get over it. Parents are allowed to drink and generally need a beer more than people without kids.
    Some breweries make it 21 and over. If it's an issue for you go to those places only.

SuperWhip, Atrox77 and FinnishFox like this.
  18. ComradePalmer

Waiting in line for a few hours before a brewery opens to get cans of beer and bringing toddlers along to do it is a bit different than just casually swinging by with the kids for a drink.

19. BeersandBread

True. Didn't think about that part. Sorry!

20. SDReaper

SDReaper (578) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Yeah....maybe not.

21. BeersandBread

Have some kids and get back to me.

22. SDReaper

Trader

Myself and the world is not prepared to handle me, let alone me and a hellspawn. My dog is as much of a kid as I need.

BeersandBread likes this.
  23. asong_net

asong_net (210) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

Wow thought this would be insta sellout but it looks like there's still a few cases left with no lines

BeersandBread likes this.
  24. AyeDogg

AyeDogg (404) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Why even bother recording this? Is it to embarrass those who are waiting in line?

Also like the title, " Release the hounds". It has a lot of deep meaning towards those who are in line.

25. beronberon

beronberon (0) Jan 13, 2012 California

Man every time.. I assume that oh well they're going to sell out, no use going, then I see on their Twitter that there are plenty cases left with no lines lol.

26. Akahoshi

Akahoshi (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

I think it has to do with the frequency of the releases. I can't drink my beer fast enough so personally I tend to skip some until my supply is low.

beronberon likes this.
  27. IQBlue

IQBlue (0) Oct 2, 2014 California

Doesn't Beachwood throw a party for them every year?

28. Joeman10

Joeman10 (0) Apr 19, 2013 California

Gonna be in the are tomorrow for a quick trip, anyone know where I can grab some bottle shippers in the area?

29. pinballplayer

pinballplayer (566) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Let's not forget these are $5 cans of beer. Not exactly cheap.

30. walterfredo

walterfredo (0) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Not sure if that was their intention, but kind of think anyone waiting multiple hours in line to buy beer just to trade for other beer should be embarrassed.

31. FinnishFox

Trader

This.

So they are different. What is your point? Why is standing in line with a kid worse than sitting and drinking a beer in front of the kid?

Personally, I would much rather have the parents waiting with kids in line to grab cans to go home with than bringing them into the taproom where they might, I don't know, throw their toy and knock over someone else's drink (which has literally happened to me at Monkish).

32. homer281

homer281 (0) Nov 21, 2013 California

Hey kids instead of camping in Big Sur this year we're sleeping overnight in a parking lot surrounded by pot smoke and drunkards! It's all the same anyways.

My rule is: If the place only serves alcohol, it's a bar, regardless of whatever legal loophole it occupies. Bars aren't for kids. Craft beer is everywhere these days. You can have some great beer at Pizza Port while the kiddies have some pizza, wings and play video games.

#32 homer281, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  33. FinnishFox

Trader

I forgot, the drunkards are only ever in line outside and never in the brewery tasting room. #Facts

It isn't a loophole, I believe it is a different license entirely.

This isn't to say that breweries should allow people who are under the age of 21, but there are probably 100 reasons why bars and breweries are given different licensing options.

34. cquiroga

cquiroga (446) Oct 14, 2004 California

...or do this...

homer281 likes this.
  35. FinnishFox

Trader

Clearly waiting in lines is worse for kids... haha.

36. Earlycsquid

I think that's less of "Beachwood throwing a party for them" and more of a "Beachwood allows them to have their party there and bring a couple of kegs they finagled off other breweries"

Believe me, I want BPLA to be a good piece of journalism. To have a paper about the ever growing L.A. scene would be great, but the quality of journalism that is reported in that free rag and the way it is run makes me think that most High school news papers are better organized and have higher standards of quality than Beer Paper L.A.

That video sort of shows exactly why.

37. SDReaper

Trader

Ummmm, video games not just for kids. I will still play by the arcade rules and put down a quarter to claim next spot if I ever see a X-men, TMNT: Turtles in Time, and/or Simpsons arcade machine.

Oh, and Galaga and/or Ms. Pacman arcade machine or cocktail table machine.

Don't even get me started on the Pinball machines.

38. FinnishFox

Trader

@Earlycsquid ...hopefully it will come in turn, takes time.

Seems to me LA was pretty slow to get into the craft beer explosion but the past 3-5 years have been unbelievable.

39. grilledsquid

grilledsquid (0) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

@FinnishFox There are plenty of activities parents can engage in with their children to make their lives more meaningful. Waiting in line for hours, and yes this is hours since those folks were at the front of the line, isn't exactly the quintessential family bonding experience. There are so many outdoor activities available in SoCal and it's pretty pathetic someone's desire for beer is so high that they'd rather spend an afternoon in line at a business park lot instead of having a picnic or a hike in one of the many beautiful beaches or trails.

Furthermore, the potential for violence and drunken shenanigans is high at these things so parents should be responsible and make every effort to protect their children from them. It's already been documented how the craft beer equivalent of scalpers have been establishing a presence at these releases and from personal experience, they'll result to violence to obtain their meal ticket. Why the fuck would anyone want to expose their child to that? Sorry for the language, but this is the antithesis of good parenting.

#39 grilledsquid, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  40. grilledsquid

grilledsquid (0) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I don't see Street Fighter II on this list. :slight_frown:

JayORear and AyeDogg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.