Monkish Brewing (November 2016)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by JayORear, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregoryG

gregoryG Zealot (568) Sep 8, 2009 California
    Trader

Rose Park resident here!

AndrewSmith likes this.
  2. J-loco

J-loco Savant (1,018) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Trader

Dark night of the soul still on tap. Love this beer. Wish I still had a bottle of it.

Tangy and Javii like this.
  3. OTB

OTB Pooh-Bah (1,779) Sep 2, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Monkish released 2-1 & Lewis DIPA today. 8.5% Galaxy and Mouteka. Lines looked like a can release almost when I left at 3:30 today, its limited to 2 growlers per person.

Cheers,

4. SovereignGood

SovereignGood Pundit (824) Jan 11, 2016 California
    Trader

How was it? Hopefully it lasts as long as 2nd Dumpster.

5. OTB

Pooh-Bah Society

I haven't had it yet, probably tomorrow, still have to finish off the growler of Eric C is President tonight. I have never seen lines for a new tap/growler release like this before, however it's a DIPA with two really juicy hop profiles. I seriously doubt this will last as long as LOT2D by the length of the lines I saw earlier this afternoon, but glad they put a 2 per limit, and yes there where plenty of mules in tow. BTW, did you get any " yeast burn " on the Dumpster DIPA ? I noticed it when it warmed up, plus there was heavy yeast sludge in the neck of the growler and under the cap like I've never seen before after being stored angled overnight. Never saw or tasted that before.

Cheers,

#65 OTB, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. J_BeerTimeYo

J_BeerTimeYo Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2016 California

I left monkish last night at 6pm and the line was still out the door and wrapped back past the window. Nuts for just a beer on tap.

2-1 & Lewis itself is a juice explosion, but you can still notice some dank characteristics on the finish. It's a notch above 2nd Dumpster for me. One of their best DIPA offerings IMO. And that's including the draft and cans.

They blew 2 kegs while I was there so I'd be surprised if this lasts thru next week.

jnance88 and J-loco like this.
  7. OTB

Pooh-Bah Society

Yea, this was worth the 45 minutes. Like a liquified tropical fruit salad in a glass with amazing balance and complexity. One of the better DIPAs from Monkish.

Cheers,

[​IMG]

8. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

Did we just jump the shark? Line ups for growlers, that is insane.

9. J-loco

Trader

I'm hoping it had more to do with the holiday weekend.

10. OTB

Pooh-Bah Society

Sadly I think we did. I pulled up Friday to fill some growlers and thought they just announced a can release ! There were lines all weekend until it ran out yesterday.

Cheers,

11. J-loco

Trader

Did it run out or just no more growler fills? Was hoping to try it Tuesday.

12. J_BeerTimeYo

J_BeerTimeYo Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2016 California

It was still on yesterday, just no growler fills. So it should be good to go Tuesday for you.

J-loco likes this.
  13. Serna714

Serna714 Crusader (406) Dec 12, 2014 California
    Trader

I showed up around 9 on Saturday night, and I had to wait a whopping 10 minutes. Thanks Monkish..btw 2-1 Lewis is great.

J_BeerTimeYo and Justinsosmart like this.
  14. SovereignGood

Trader

Missed the fills of 2-1 Lewis, but the growler of Legend of 2nd Dumpster I opened over the weekend held up great for being almost two weeks old. Also think Eric is President is really good for being a single hop brew.

J_BeerTimeYo likes this.
  15. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

I opened up a growler of Gone Glorious last week that was hiding in my fridge, held up like a champ.

16. Kavinci

Kavinci Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2016 California
    Trader

Good to hear they held up. I have 2 growlers of 2-1 & Lewis in the fridge (bottled on Saturday), flip top growlers. Hopefully they will hold up for a week or two? I have never saved one that long.

17. SovereignGood

Trader

They should be good. I only noticed slightly less hop aroma but flavor and carb was all there.

18. OTB

Pooh-Bah Society

They will be fine and actually will probably gain some complexities for a few weeks. I bought two growlers last Friday, drank one Sunday, insane BTW, maybe ? my fave Monkish DIPA to date. I am going to save my last 21Lewis for Turkey weekend drinking. OTOH I just opened my last growler of ECIP and it tastes better than it did on day one. It has really opened up showing lots of stone fruits and the body has become fuller.

Cheers,

19. Kavinci

Kavinci Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2016 California
    Trader

Thanks for the encouraging words, glad to hear it may hold up well. I thought 21Lewis was spectacular, the dankest juice bomb I have ever had out of CA. Crazy juice up front with a nice backbone of hops. I had a TH Julius the day before I went to Monkish, and I thought they were comparable.

J_BeerTimeYo and OTB like this.
  20. sittinggc

sittinggc Pundit (836) Mar 2, 2015 California
    Trader

People love standing in lines. Showed up Saturday evening, of all days, and got a fill by walking up to the counter...tasted just as good, I swear by it.

Did a double blind side by side with my buddy's stand in line growler.

jrnyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.