Monkish Brewing (Summer 2018)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by OTB, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (88) Jul 29, 2016 California

You're causing inflated prices, making it impossible for people to try any beers unless they don't have daytime jobs, and treating beer as some insanely scarce commodity instead of something to enjoy with friends. It's a chimera of everything wrong with craft beer, and it's why four-packs cost fucking $24 now, because breweries can milk money from privileged idiots who cheat their way into profiting off of hoarded beer.

Skunkdrool, Flodiesel, nvbrew and 4 others like this.
  2. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (136) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Trader

wow, you've been holding that one in. Yes, I can how price can get inflated by the demand, but I do share with friends & I don't sell my beers. I try to live that "Craft Beer Life" the Right Way, but I do see what your saying. I don't think you should group all haze bros into one groups. we are all different and we all believe in different things.

3. HopHead89

Trader

I do agree with that, I hate when people bring mules. Look I'm just trying to live that Craft Beer Life, and trying to do it the best way I can by sharing beer, talking to the community and overall just enjoying the beer, Cheers

Chris818c and AdamofSoCal like this.
  4. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (619) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

I bring a mule to almost every beer release (not monkish). The last one was Silva Brewing for Silva Stout release. Glad I brought the mule since once friends found out I was bombarded with paypal and venmo notifications that I had received money. We needed her allotment just so we would have some beer to take home for us. Hehehe.

Also, my mule ends up drinking half of my beer anyways....so there's that. Unless it is 3F Hommage, she still doesn't like it, which is 100% A-ok by me.

Serna714 and HopHead89 like this.
  5. J-loco

J-loco Initiate (189) Jan 23, 2015 California

She seems nice.

SoCalBeerIdiot, R1c0rtez and SDReaper like this.
  6. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (619) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

She has kept me sane for the past 12ish years and dealt with all of my beer antics so I would say she's a keeper.

Serna714 and J-loco like this.
  7. annakarina

Why would you care about trade value if you're only sharing beer with your friends? I can say with utmost certainty that none of my friends are going to care that a beer I got for them is also available for growler fills at their taproom.

Redondo_Terp likes this.
  8. HopHead89

Trader

I share with my friends at shares and also trade my beer. it's not like I'm upset or anything about Monkish doing that, I actually said that's good for the people who couldn't get the cans.

9. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (428) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

I buy a 2L growler or two - boomette! - that pretty much takes care of me and mine for weeks. No lines, no fuss. So let the bros have their tradeables.

HopHead89 and OTB like this.
  10. OTB

OTB Devotee (406) Sep 2, 2011 California

[​IMG]

I could care less what vessel it comes out of, this is Citra goodness period. Great new batch.

Cheers,

11. OTB

Yup, to each their own, what makes Murica great.

Cheers,

HopHead89 likes this.
  12. annakarina

Do whatever you want. I was just answering a question why I think it's bad for people to judge beer on its trade value.

JohnCassillo, OTB and HopHead89 like this.
  13. Redondo_Terp

Redondo_Terp Initiate (21) Jan 19, 2018 California

Mango Space Cookie was not good.

R1c0rtez likes this.
  14. OTB

One Monkish beer including the OG Space Cookies that I could do only a couple ounces at best.

Cheers,

15. R1c0rtez

R1c0rtez Initiate (38) Oct 5, 2012 California

Me and my friend had trouble finishing that one. I hate wasting money, I finished mine....he did not.

HopHead89 likes this.
  16. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Devotee (491) Mar 29, 2013 California

Glad I only got a 4 oz. pour on Friday. Didn't really get much mango and overall, was very sharp/biting to drink. Didn't hate it but also didn't need more than what I bought.

Redondo_Terp and OTB like this.
  17. iamthecarlos

iamthecarlos Initiate (141) Jan 2, 2015 California
    Trader

I thought It was good at FWI (after 100 other beers), go figure. I wonder if it didn't hold up too much beyond a week or two. I liked it last week, the mango was there and i was surprised by how much i didn't hate it.

18. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Initiate (48) Jun 30, 2014 California

Dang man, if beer really is just beer... Is there really a reason to go so hard on senor pacifico. Jeeze Louise! I'm a lurker and have no business posting but dang you guys are harsh

19. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (69) Apr 27, 2017 California

I don't speak for everyone, but I am a prolific trader and part of the reason why is because I like to taste beer from breweries all over the country that I can't always get. Every region and brewery has their own way of doing things, and I enjoy those nuanced variations. Trade value means nothing to me, everyone I trade with is $4$. And I almost never check things in on Untappd, could care less about 'ticking'. Only really check a beer in when it's particularly good and want to remember it, in case I want to trade for more of it.

Beer trading is a wonderful thing if you're doing it $4$. It's a great way to support a brewery you like from far away.

Skunkdrool, nvbrew, JayORear and 6 others like this.
  20. JN1

JN1 Disciple (306) Mar 11, 2014 California
    Premium Trader

Agreed 100%. Regretted that pour as soon as I tasted it.

21. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (738) Jul 1, 2009 California

True. Beer trading is good if you want to try different beers from all over our beautiful country and beyond. But are you getting the cans/bottles fresh? What is fresh? I traded for 2 years, but stopped 2 years ago. I would occasionally get cans/bottles 2-3 weeks fresh. But most of the time I would see 4+ weeks out. To me that’s not fresh. If and when I do trade it’s going to be local and or in person. The extra cost for shipping is not worth the cost of trying 4+ weeks old beer. I will drive or fly to the source if I really want that beer. I understand that most of us here cannot just get up and go catch a plane to the source. So we have to trade. That’s not a bad thing. Just hope the cans and bottles are fresh.

HopHead89 likes this.
  22. HopHead89

Trader

I think maybe at first, I annoy some people, like for example @OTB & @JayORear, but after sometime they realize that Im really just in it for the LOVE of beer and they have a change of heart. And then you got guys like @sponger that are just here to put fellow BAers down, but you know what its all good, because sooner or later they will get over it and come around.

R1c0rtez and Rbarnes4381 like this.
  23. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (738) Jul 1, 2009 California

I think @HopHead89 is just a HappyHead...:smiley:who loves beer. Nothing wrong with this picture. I guess some people are just annoyed.

R1c0rtez and HopHead89 like this.
  24. OTB

We all start somewhere, I know I probably drove some people nuts on the OG Alpine thread many many moons ago when I had my first OG Nelson. I’ve actually supported your passion more than you realize. You can buy me a beer next time I’m at Monkish :grin:

Cheers

TheBrewsky, R1c0rtez and HopHead89 like this.
  25. HopHead89

Trader

On a side note, if anyone listens to fourbrewers podcast, they will be doing a monkish episode very soon. I met up with one of the guys yesterday to make a trade. (I didnt ask for whalez for my monkish cans, told him to give me w.e. he had, so its not like im a trading nazi either) believe he said its going to come out 6/30. I really enjoy their podcast and if you dont listen maybe its time to expand your craft beer content.

JN1 likes this.
  26. JN1

JN1 Disciple (306) Mar 11, 2014 California
    Premium Trader

Honestly, the hype is real for a reason. It sizes up to a large majority of the breweries, at least in their type.

The price per 4-pk... hardly expensive if you do the math on what it costs in ingredients plus other overhead. Is it "cheap"? No. But I most definitely would pay the price for a premium Napa cab over a Charles Shaw or a solid bourbon like Blanton's, Weller, etc over an Evan Williams, etc. Think about it. If it's too expensive for you, don't buy it. We all value different things for different reasons and no one has to justify their opinion.

You buy it or you don't, that's up to you.

27. HopHead89

Trader

28. J-loco

J-loco Initiate (189) Jan 23, 2015 California

Curious what you traded for?

29. HopHead89

Trader

he wanted to give me $$$ at first, but I said NO, because that's against my "Craft Beer Code":stuck_out_tongue:
    Aku Aku, Monster Park Nitro Bourbon 12oz Can, Alesmith Speedway 16oz Can, BW Tovarish mini bottle & Rubensesquepades.

30. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (59) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

RE: Aku Aku, I know people liked it, but man, that was only good when it was slushied at "6 Now and Forever".

31. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Initiate (197) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

Do you have any First Edition Foil Monks Hazies?

UnknownKoger likes this.
  32. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (59) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

I've still got Run the Pigeon in my fridge.

J_BeerTimeYo likes this.
  33. HopHead89

Trader

just got into the Monkish game last year, first ever can I got was LA Hat...

R1c0rtez likes this.
  34. BreakingMyBalls

BL was at the anniversary party? Could've sworn they were not on that list.

35. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (65) Feb 1, 2018 California

They were not, I heard rumors that Monkish is not a fan of them.

36. OTB

" IN 1995 " sounds fantastic, DIPA W/ Citra and Mosaic, what's not to love, looks like growler fill time for the weekend !

Cheers,

AdamofSoCal and HopHead89 like this.
  37. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (511) Jun 9, 2011 California

Just wanted to say ... Simpletim absolutely ROCKS!!!

25thh0ur, webz, OTB and 2 others like this.
  38. webz

webz Initiate (18) Apr 4, 2018 California

Concur. Absolutely love it!

AlexM and HopHead89 like this.
  39. AdamofSoCal

AdamofSoCal Initiate (84) Dec 25, 2017 California

I may need to drop by and get every growler possible.

HopHead89 likes this.
  40. BreakingMyBalls

Why would that be? Can't imagine there's anything about them not to like. They're branding, customer service, and beer is above most breweries in the region.

AlexM and HopHead89 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.