Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Quebec Montreal for a weekend

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RC0032, Sep 10, 2013.

1. RC0032

Beer Trader

Thinking of a guys trip to Montreal for the weekend. Any recommendations (not all beer related) for places to stay? Is there a downtown for walking around? Night life? Etc?

2. ricochet173

Beer Trader

Montreal has a LOT to see. What kind of stuff are you guys into/how old are you all? Are you looking more for the party/club scene or a pub? Live music? Any particular interests? What's your budget? Just asking cause there are so many options!

3. RC0032

Beer Trader

It would be me and my dad for a "guys" weekend. Im 35 so no clubs more pubs live music good food etc.

No real budget
    Friday to Sunday stay
    Preference to walking vs. driving
    What are the cant miss things?

4. liamt07

Beer Trader

Do yourself a favour and put in reservations for Joe Beef. Best steak I've ever consumed, ever.

DDC, Benelux and similar are a must.

ricochet173 likes this.
  5. ricochet173

Beer Trader

Hmm... since you're staying for a weekend, my suggestion would be for each of you to get a weekend metro pass. It's pretty cheap, and that way you can park at your hotel and not worry about drinking and driving. If you go that route, you can get a hotel pretty much anywhere around downtown (I'm no expert on the subject of hotels, but you may want to be more towards the exterior of the downtown core, as it will likely be cheaper).

Now if you are both beer guys, Dieu Du Ciel is having their 15th Anniversary party Sunday, which they combine with the Cantillon Zwanze day event (starts at 3 PM), so you hit the jackpot there. The event is free, but there will likely be a huge line starting at 1-1:30 PM. It's your call, lol, but I'll be there. To get there, take the green line to Berri- UQAM metro, then transfer to orange line and get out at Laurier (Laurier exit). Turn right onto Laurier, follow Laurier up to St. Laurent and cross the street (right side of street). Walk just a little more and you're there. Likely, the line-up will go all the way to St. Laurent.

If you prefer to relax more, the St. Denis strip is an excellent place to be (in comparison to a DDC anniversary party that is). Just take the metro to berri-uqam and get out of the station at the St. Denis exit. There is a variety of restaurants up that street, and a variety of pubs. There is St. Bock, which is hit or miss. The food is either excellent or burnt, and the service is often pretty horrible. I avoid it now, but they usually have sports on tv so that is good. Further up the street is L'Amere a Boire, which is excellent and has good food. Check that place out. If you turn right on Ontario as you go up St. Denis, you can keep going til you find Le Cheval Blanc, which also has good beer.

If you are looking more for just a solid restaurant, let me know your preferences and I'll gladly give you some suggestions.

For live music I don't think there's a whole lot this weekend... I'm not sure though cause I am out of town and only heading back in Friday. You can always see what is happening at Place Des Arts, Club Soda, Foufounes Electriques (if you're into dives)... in the core of downtown there is Hurleys if you like "irish pubs", they sometimes have music. I prefer Irish Embassy one street over: much, much better food. Brutopia is in that area too and often has live music, but the beer there is pretty bad (at least I think so; pretty sure they don't clean their tanks well and/or the brewmaster uses the same yeast in every beer).

If you're not on a budget, check out some places in the old port. It's a beautiful area to walk around in during the day, and there are often street performers. There are also lots of activities in that area (museum, boat tours, etc).

6. ricochet173

Beer Trader

Forgot about Benelux, they're pretty good too! And I second Joe Beef; unfortunately, there is no way in hell you'll get a reservation on such short notice. You can always try though! Au Pied De Cochon is also great. Of course, it all depends on your food preferences.

7. RC0032

Beer Trader

Oh its not this weekend just a weekend in general still in the planning phase ;)

BIG thanks BTW.

8. FEUO

IF you can get a reservation. Work on this WELL in advance.

DDC can't be missed. Worth the cab fare.

9. Groulxsome

I think Station Ho.st (Hopfinstark) is a better visit than DDC if I had to choose. You can find most DDC beers around at deps and, after picking up a couple there, there will only be 5-6 taps that are super exciting at DDC. Station Ho.st has lots of really exciting Belgian inspired stuff (20 taps + casks) and lots of big interesting beers to boot. A newer place, but well worth trying out (1494, rue Ontario E).

10. yasky

Beer Trader

I'll second the Ho.st recommendation. Just eat before you go.

11. papat444

Beer Trader

Gotta get myself to Ho.st one of these days...

12. unibroue4ever

Beer Trader

Or you can go accross the street at Poutineville, grab a poutine and bring it to Ho.St!

RC0032 likes this.
  13. joromiller

Beer Trader

I am driving through Montreal for the weekend of the HFS Damon/Flora release, and then staying for a couple days on the way back with my wife. Are there any beer stores that have Cantillons on the shelf? I've heard rumors that it's true, but wondering if any locals can confirm.

Also, what are the best beers that I should be pursuing (either in bottles or on tap) while in CA?

Your insight is greatly appreciated.

14. papat444

Beer Trader

Sorry to burst your bubble but Cantillon isn`t available on shelves here, that`s in AB & BC. We have lots of good local beers. Dunham makes some good ones, DDC should have Morality out soon. Trou du Diable is now easily accesible so i`d grab something from those guys. If you like Belgian inspired ales, give Charlevoix a whirl, solid stuff.

I don`t have Cantillon but if ever you`re interested in an in person trade, shoot me a message.

15. Seany

Morality in bottle? I hope so.

16. papat444

Beer Trader

There was a pic on Facebook in July showing Morality scrawled on a paper next to the brewing tanks at their St-Jerome facility, looks good!

Whatup14 and unibroue4ever like this.
  17. Seany

I can't find the pic but will keep my fingers crossed!!!

18. papat444

Beer Trader

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation

• Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe