Montreal suggestions

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kinopio, May 25, 2017.

1. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (256) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Looks like there hasn't been any threads devoted to Montreal in quite some time. Any new spots open in the last year or so? Any bottles to look out for? I'm heading up this weekend and favor sours and stouts. I'm thinking my prioritized stops will be DDC, Benelux, Reservoir, Le Saint Bock, and Vices & Versa. Thanks!

larryi86 and red94tt like this.
  2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,716) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan to me as far as bars go.

There should still be fresh bottles of Les Trois Mousquetaires' IPA kicking around which is good and relatively new. Most any of the À la fût sours are a good bet, Dunham also had a bottle release a couple weeks back and there are still some of their sours on shelves. They're usually good (though to be sure I'm not that much of a sour guy).

red94tt and dabeerbuddha like this.
  3. hoser

hoser Aspirant (270) Feb 17, 2003 Alberta (Canada)

Brasserie Harricana, Pit Caribou were great stops our last visit. I like Brasserie Artisanale L'Amère A Boire to, it is basically a block or so away from Benelux.

red94tt and dabeerbuddha like this.
  4. Jones153

Jones153 Initiate (166) Apr 25, 2012 Quebec (Canada)

I really like the food at isle de garde and the taps are different than most other places.

red94tt and TheDoctor like this.
  5. CraftBeerJones

CraftBeerJones Initiate (45) Apr 7, 2015 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

Be on the lookout for the new Sutton/Wild Shack Collaboration. :wink:

red94tt, dabeerbuddha and yasky like this.
  6. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,687) Jun 18, 2010 New York

I did a road trip last year that included a stop in Montreal. I can say DDC and Benelux did not disappoint at all.

larryi86 and red94tt like this.
  7. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (256) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Reporting back to say that the weekend was a success. I was a big fan of Reservoir, Le Saint Bock and DDC. Loved the salt and pepper gose and the upstairs roofdeck/bar at Reservoir. Found a cool bar down the street from there called Darling that had a great draft list and beer cocktails.

Really impressed by the amount of pedestrian only areas in Montreal. Walking around and drinking on patios is much more pleasant without cars around. Look forward to going back.

8. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (104) Aug 7, 2014 Quebec (Canada)

I guess I'm a bit late to this party, but in terms of newer pubs I really like Isle de Garde, MaBrasserie and Yisst.

red94tt likes this.
  9. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (342) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Piggybacking off the OP's request, what is the best bottle shop in Montreal?

From reading through some of the store ratings on here, it looks like Épicerie Au Coin Duluth and Dépanneur Peluso are worth checking out. If you had to choose between the two, which is better (or is there somewhere else worth visiting)?

I'm mostly into IPAs, stouts and saisons. Do these stores have a singles selection? Also, any recent releases to keep an eye out for?

larryi86 likes this.
  10. MCBanjoMike

Peluso has a lot more than Au Coin Duluth. Yes, singles are available for pretty much everything. If you'd like to visit more than one place, consider checking out one of the Veut Tu Une Bière dépanneurs or maybe Le Frigo de Bacchus (which isn't very far from Peluso).

TheDoctor and red94tt like this.
  11. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (342) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Appreciate the advice! Any specific bottles/cans to keep an eye out for right now?

12. MCBanjoMike

Nothing on my end, I'm afraid. Between homebrewing and a big haul I brought back from New England a few weeks back, I haven't spent much time in the bottle shops in the last few months. :stuck_out_tongue:

red94tt likes this.
  13. TheDoctor

Trader

I don't feel like there is tons of new stuff in the last couple weeks, but you can get a decent group of the top Canadian beers pretty easily with a stop at Peluso. Be wary of IPAs (although Yakima is always a solid bet, just check the date).

VABA likes this.
  14. LarryAppleton

LarryAppleton Initiate (174) Dec 1, 2012 Quebec (Canada)

Some of the latest popular cans/bottles now to pick up if you find are:
    Vox Pop IPA (El dorado)
    Maltstrom (pretty much everything of theirs)
    Mabrasserie Zab Cafe (stout)
    Pit Caribou B Rouge
    Dunham barrel aged anything
    These arent impossible to find, but even though Peluso is the biggest beer store, they also sell out of the best stuff the soonest. Some new releases sell out there in hours, but will sit in a grocery store for days or weeks.
    But if not looking to get anything just released, itll have the best selection. As Doctor said, Le castor Yakima is definitely my favorite IPA in Quebec, and is always available, just need to check the date

red94tt likes this.
  15. hjaul7

hjaul7 Initiate (50) Apr 7, 2015 Iceland

Hey guys,

Great info in this thread. I have one question though. Can I buy bottles at the Dieu Du Ciel brewpub to take home?

Thanks!

16. hoser

hoser Aspirant (270) Feb 17, 2003 Alberta (Canada)

Ask at the pub, there is a couple really good stores very close the pub. One is about a block away.

hjaul7 likes this.
  17. TheDoctor

Trader

No. Only at the location in St-Jerome. Hoser's right about the store. Check out "Depanneur AS"

VABA and hjaul7 like this.
  18. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,258) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

Piggy-backing on this thread: I'm going to be part of a bus tour that is staying at the Quality Inn & Suites - Brossard for 5 nights, and will have only the evenings after a group dinner to explore on our own.. It looks like Les Trois Mousquetaires is the closest brewery to the hotel (although it does not look like they have a tap room), and the rest of the better places are on the other side of the river. Is it walkable across the bridge to reach some of the places on the other side of the river, or is a taxi is recommended? Benelux on Rue Wellington, and McAuslan Brewery on Rue Saint-Ambroise are the closest to that end of the bridge for a quick beer in the evening. (We won't be staying out late, so a 'quickie' beer is what we're looking for.) Ratings look good for both of them, so are they worth a visit? DDC is on our must-visit list so we'll plan on a taxi one night for that one. Any comments about this plan are appreciated.

19. Whatup14

Whatup14 Savant (907) Apr 16, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

You're right about Les Trois Mousquetaires, there's no taproom, but you can buy bottles to go. Unfornately they're open from 8 to 4, so probably won't fit in your schedule. For Benelux and McAuslan, it would be walkable but it's a hefty ride (12 and 15km), so Taxi would be a better choice.

Beer Wise, Benelux is way better in my opinion. Nice choice of styles and well crafted beers.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  20. MCBanjoMike

Google Maps says it's a 3 hour walk to Benelux from where you'll be staying, so I'd go for the taxi. :grin: If cost is a factor, you could taxi to the Longueil metro station and then go to the downtown Benelux, near metro Place des Arts. I really like the place, but whether it's worth driving a half-hour each way to get there is up to you.

21. Mothergoose03

Premium

No, cost is not a factor. When I looked at a map it seemed like my hotel was just a few blocks from one end of the bridge, and that Benelux was just a few blocks from the other end. it was mostly a question whether walking was permitted over the bridge. Apparently I need to look at the scale on that map a little closer. :slight_smile: Thanks for the suggestion. If I don't take a taxi to those breweries I'll just look for a good bar close to the hotel and go to it.

22. Whatup14

Trader

23. TheDoctor

Trader

Benelux has very good beers and the Verdun location is nice. It'd be a quick taxi ride. The other plus to going there is that there is a very good bottle shop (Maltéhops) a few blocks away in case you wanted to pick up some beer for the rest of your tour/to take home. There are some restaurants and shops around there too if that helps.

VABA and Mothergoose03 like this.
  24. Mothergoose03

Premium

Thanks, Whatup14. That is close, so I'll probably check it out.

25. Mothergoose03

Premium

Well it turns out that my 5 nights in a hotel in Brossard produced only two local brewery visits, and those were at lunchtime in downtown Montreal near where our bus tour group was taking a break from sightseeing. Every night included a group dinner that ended late, thus no energy on those nights to go out. Our tour also included day trips to Quebec City and Ottawa, so it was late when we returned to the hotel and I had no energy on those days to go out late. But I did have lunch break visits to Pub BreWskey and Les 3 Brasseurs (McGill) in Montreal, and L'Inox (Quebec City) and The Clocktower Brew Pub (Byward Market) in Ottawa. I had some good beer and food at each place, although I didn't have any specific remarkable beers to note here.

Thanks to each of you for the recommendations provided above. When I return to Montreal I hope it won't be with a bus tour and that I will be driving and have more flexibility to go where I want. So close to DDC, but closeness does not count.

Whatup14 likes this.
  26. TheDoctor

Trader

:cry:
    Well I hope you had a great trip regardless! You were at least lucky to be here for the nicest weather of the whole summer. Next time you're here gimme a holler and I'll buy you a beer or three to make up for the tour group monopolizing your time:wink:

27. Mothergoose03

Premium

Merci, will do. We'd like to return to Montreal again, but especially to Quebec City too. We saw quite a bit of Montreal (except breweries), but a day trip to Quebec City was definitely not enough time to see that city.

TheDoctor likes this.
  28. radshoesbro

radshoesbro Devotee (469) Dec 16, 2004 California

This thread has been pretty dead for a while, but figured I’d ask to see if there are any new spots to check out or any awesome beers that are a must.

I’m here from San Diego, so I’m not looking for IPAs.

Thanks.

JonnyBeers likes this.
  29. rejtable

rejtable Initiate (62) Apr 20, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

That's an odd statement. :thinking_face:

30. radshoesbro

radshoesbro Devotee (469) Dec 16, 2004 California

The IPAs in San Diego are amongst the best in the world, so why would I be looking for IPAs anywhere else?

31. moz9

moz9 Initiate (160) Oct 27, 2009 North Carolina

Any of the downtown bottle shops have loons or 3F bottles?

32. TheDoctor

Trader

Lol. Absolutely not. You can barely find decent beer from Quebec downtown.

33. beerophilia

beerophilia Initiate (80) Oct 8, 2011 Washington

Hey there, beer friends. Visiting again in a few days, partly for le Mondial, and partly just because I love Montreal. Any suggestions for current bottle releases to be on the lookout for, especially barrel-aged sours & farmhouse beers?

34. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (129) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts

I'm going to be there next week as well, so any help will now be doubly appreciated...

35. TheDoctor

Trader

Help for beers to look for or what?

36. SpauldingSmails

Excellent point. Looking for great beer joints. I'm staying near the Bell Centre. If there are IPAs to try great, but I would rather hunt down some Lambics, if possible, or grab a beer at a cool outdoor location.

37. TheDoctor

Trader

If by "hunt down some Lambics" you mean "find some hard-to-get Belgian sours" then I have some bad news for you... Nonetheless, there are a lot of good options for the rest of your comment. Quebec used to be terrible at IPAs but they are starting to be pretty decent on the whole. Just make sure to check the dates. There are lots of good beers to be had of all styles though.

As for bars, the closest option to you will be Biermarkt (a chain with an int'l selection but lacking in locals and without outdoor seating).
    Next closest and one of my favorites in town is Benelux (good hoppy beers, some nice bottles sour blends, outdoor seating). It could also be fun to go to Little Italy where there are multiple options, good food and a nice vibe. Places there include Vices et versa (probably the best beer bar selection-wise, nice patio) and Isle de garde (brewpub with solid beer and outdoor searing). If you're looking to get bottles to take home that area also has a glut of very good bottleshops. Both of those places are within walking distance and you are actually fairly close to Dieu du ciel too (which you should obviously visit as well, but I imagine you probably already knew that).

#37 TheDoctor, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    papposilenus likes this.
  38. SpauldingSmails

Thank you! I'm not planning to bring anything home, just looking for an evening of enjoyable beverages.

39. wizzy

wizzy Initiate (104) May 20, 2006 Michigan

My family and I will be in Montreal for two nights next week, and hoping to make it out for a beer-centric dinner one of those nights. Currently thinking either Dieu du Ciel or Le Saint Bock. My kids are 5/10; are (generally well behaved) kids allowed? If not, any other suggestions? We'll be staying near downtown and would plan on taking the Metro up; we're staying between the McGill and Square Victoria stops.

Unrelated, do places generally fill growlers? If yes, do they fill not-their-own growlers or would I have to buy their glass?

40. Whatup14

Trader

Kids are generally allowed (if not inside, on the terrace until 8 pm) but I would avoid Dieu du Ciel since it can get really crowded. Downtown, there's Benelux (simple food menu), there is also MaBrasserie who is really kid friendly, but I don't know if they serve food.

For growlers, many brewpubs are filling them now but only their own growlers.

Have fun!