Moosehead Lime in the US?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 1009, May 14, 2020.

1. 1009

1009 Initiate (131) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am an American who loves Canadian beer looking to get my hands on Moosehead Lime. Was wondering if anyone knows where/how I can get Moosehead Lime in the States without going to Canada.

Also wondering what people's thoughts are on it and comparisons. Similar to Bud Lime or Labatt Blue Light Lime?

Thanks,

GreenBayBA likes this.
  2. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (237) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Oh boy- this should be a fun ride. But seriously- wouldn't any beer with lime be better as just a regular beer with a slice of lime? I am not a chemist, but that sounds better to me- what sounds better though is drinking a Molson Hi Dry and fighting a moose with nunchucks.

3. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (451) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I can't argue with your point, but I must admit that I kind of enjoy Bud Lite Lime for what it is - a faintly beery artificial lime beverage. I have a friend who often only has Bud products in his fridge and I've foregone drinking there when my only option was Bud or Bud Lite (I don't hate all AALs, I just really don't care for Budweiser). I'll happily have a couple BL Limes in the summer though.

As for the OP's question, no offense but I'm just wondering what lime flavored skunk water would taste like :slight_smile: Best of luck though!

4. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (385) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

If you can’t find it, a nice local option is Night Shift Lime Lite.

5. 1009

Trader

LOL yea moose can be skunky sometimes but still is interesting to me! thanks for the post, BL Lime may need to fill my summer lime drinking desires!

PapaGoose03, GreenBayBA and meefmoff like this.
  6. Rhettroactive

Rhettroactive Poo-Bah (1,836) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

To the OP, I can confirm that Moosehead Lime is available in the US. In fact I saw twelve-pack glass bottles of it today at my local shop here in Pittsburgh. But then Canadian macros are popular here, so it's not a surprise to see it around, granted it's a part of their standard year-round line-up or a popular seasonal.

Jaycase, PapaGoose03 and GreenBayBA like this.
  7. Foyle

Foyle Savant (953) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,684) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

At some point in the past wasn't Moosehead brewed somewhere in the Pittsburgh area (or at least somewhere in PA)? It has always been a favorite lager to me if found fresh.

9. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,847) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Total Wine shows it to be available at the Towson (Beltway) MD location. I just put in a random Mass TW store and did the search. Check your closest Total Wine and see if they carry it.

10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,405) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Don’t like lime in my beer, any beers.

11. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,308) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

Sounds intriguing. Don't mind a Bud Light Lime once in awhile during the warmer months. Wonder if I can find this near me...

12. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,050) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

I’m guessing this has limited distribution. We get tons of Moosehead in Ontario, but I can’t remember ever seeing this one, and a quick check shows that it isn’t currently available here.

13. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,147) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Let me get this straight: you're from MA and yet you're choosing Moosehead Lime over Lime Lite? :thinking_face:

14. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (63) Dec 5, 2019

Moosehead is a great straight down the line mindless drinking lager. Lime? No thank you. Good luck on your hunt

15. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,053) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

They're waiting for the lime harvest in Saskatchewan to be finished before shipping the lime elixir to the US. Iron City Pineapple is also in the works.

rocdoc1, 1009 and meefmoff like this.
  16. nc41

Society Trader

My Dads current favorite beer, without the lime though, I don’t get the lime in any beer, imo it’s just gross.

17. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,684) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Are you a lover of lime flavor at all? Maybe liking that flavor is a requisite for lime in a beer. I love the flavor; Key Lime Pie, Limeade and lime in a light lager are all favorites for me. In fact, lime in a light lager gives it SOME flavor.

John_M, meefmoff, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  18. nc41

Society Trader

Love limes and all citrus fruits, just not in beer.

rocdoc1 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. 1009

Trader

What can I say? I was looking for something different than the usual suspects up here in MA!

20. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,147) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

If you have trouble finding any I see some spots in PA that have it. I’d gladly trade Moosehead Lime for some Lime Lite (or better yet just regular Night Lite). Let me know

Jaycase likes this.
  21. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (269) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

When I crave a lime tainted drink I'll mix myself a Cuba Libra or gin and tonic. I once tasted a Bud lite lime just to see what it was and the lime flavor was more chemical than citrus. Maybe Moosehead has a better line of chemicals.

PapaGoose03 and JackHorzempa like this.
  22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,496) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

The functional equivalent of blue meth!?!:thinking_face:

Cheers!

rocdoc1 likes this.
  23. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Defender (654) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Moose head to me ALWAYS had a weird body odor funk to it. I stopped drinking it 35 years ago. Never had a bottle that did not taste nasty. I am sure the green glass did not help.

24. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,595) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Me too. Back in the day, it was what all the cool kids were drinking, so of course I tried to drink it as well (my best friend's nickname back then was moose, and he always had moose head around). Couldn't get into it, mostly due to the odor you mentioned.

Adding a bit of lime could only help things.

Claude-Irishman and PapaGoose03 like this.