Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Morehead KY enquiry

Discussion in 'South' started by jmw, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmw

jmw Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Might possibly be relocating to the Morehead/Mt. Sterling area in the near future. I realize that Rowan is a moist county surrounded by dry counties, but has there been any improvement since the 3 places that were reviewed back in '11? If I move here, will I be stepping backward into what WV was 5 or 6 years ago? I have low expectations due to life in these hinterlands for 10 years, but is Redhook, SN, and a few macro 'imports' all I will find in the area?

Also for the Lexingtonites--am fairly well versed in the hospitality that is available there and will most likely be visiting quite often, and I thank you for suggestions in that direction. I'm just hoping to find something a little more local to Morehead.

2. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

There is not much to speak of in Morehead. First Street Liquors has a very mediocre selection, but it is the best that Morehead has to offer. Best of luck and welcome!

jmw likes this.
  3. KYGunner

KYGunner Sep 16, 2012 Kentucky

I'll send a note to Nolen12 and have him PM you. He lives in My Sterling and is the only one I know with craft beer knowledge.

jmw likes this.
  4. drfabulous

drfabulous Jul 23, 2005 Kentucky
    Subscriber

Maybe live in Lexington and commute. Or plan all your beer purchases here.

eyeenjoybeer and jmw like this.
  5. Groomsy

Groomsy Sep 23, 2010 Kentucky

Having lived in Morehead for several years and now a Maysville resident, there's not much to speak of in Morehead. Tri-County liquors has a decent selection but is overpriced. Mt. Sterling does have better selection with more options for locations to buy from. As others have said, Lexington is probably your best bet, especially if you're thinking Mt. Sterling. I'm an hour east of the Newport/Cincinnati area, so I do most of my "better" purchases there. Maysville in itself is okay. I can get Stone, Bell's, and Great Lakes (along with others) here. Satisfies me well enough.

6. Barrel_age_me

Barrel_age_me Dec 26, 2012 Ohio

I'm a rep for a distributor in KY. We carry the best craft brews in the state. Bells, Stone, dogfish, Three Floyds, Great Lakes. Just to mention a few. I recently started going to the Maysville area. I haven't made it over towards Morehead. I didnt know there were any bottle shops or anything over that way. I will stop over that way and get some good beers in that area for you.

Groomsy and jmw like this.
  7. tylermains

tylermains Apr 6, 2010 Kentucky

Do I know you? I was born in Maysville, have friends in Morehead, and am building a brewery right past Mayslick.

8. jmw

jmw Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Now that's service!

9. Groomsy

Groomsy Sep 23, 2010 Kentucky

Small world! It's possible that we've met, but maybe not. If not, it needs to happen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe