mosquito wire mesh

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Tebuken, May 17, 2018.

1. Tebuken

Tebuken Aspirant (286) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

Hey guys , long time.

I think I´ve made a mistake, I´ve made a kind of ´bag´ for dry-hopping using a mosquito aluminium wire mesh.
    I put inside this ´bag´an ounze of Saaz pellets last night and then put it inside my primary fermentor(beer is already fermented).At the moment I did it a white foam started forming very quickly( 1-2 min), maybe 1-2 inches wide(not an infection, something regarding Co2 release.)

Am I going to get metallic flavor due this aluminum?

TIA

2. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (55) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

Any chance you pre boiled the mesh in water? To use aluminum in food applications you need to build up an oxide layer to prevent the aluminum from dissolving... you might have some elevated aluminum levels in this beer, but also maybe not much because there was no heat involved... can’t really say for sure though !

3. Tebuken

Yes I preboiled the mesh in water 5 min.

thebriansmaude likes this.
  4. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

If I had to throw a guess out there with out seeing this happen, would be that it was a reaction happening from adding the hops causing c02 to come out of solution. RDWHAHB

Prep8611, billandsuz and minderbender like this.
  5. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (55) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

Ya if it is just aluminum, and you pre boiled it, you should be good!

TooHopTooHandle likes this.
  6. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (706) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Yes, but...
    Are fine mesh nylon bags not available?
    SS would be the only metal I would use for dryhopping.
    You'll be fine, but why tempt fate next time if you are going to be doing a lot of dryhopping in the future?

7. Tebuken

Yes ,mesh nylon are available but I´ve been having troubles to take them out of the fermentor. I stupidly thought it would be a good idea to use something rigid but forgot the fact of aluminum could be an issue in contact with a finished beer.

I recently have taken it off the fermentor to try to avoid this roblem, tonite I´m going to take a sample. I can not find here a SS device for dry-hopping.