Most Underrated Brewery...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CapCollector16, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonyjenlasc

Tonyjenlasc Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New Jersey

Spellbound - Mt. Holly, NJ - Although underrated may not be the best term because they are still small, only canning one beer this far and it's their IPA (damn good too, 88 BA score). Looking forward to seeing more from these guys in the future.

2. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (277) Feb 13, 2015 California

My vote goes for Drake's. I admittedly don't drink much of their regular lineup, but they have some good special/seasonal releases and always have interesting and sometimes great stuff on tap at the brewery...never hear a peep about them on this website though.

chrisjws likes this.
  3. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Boulevard.
    Half Acre.
    Revolution.

Scott17Taylor, Bdubbsyall and sbh50 like this.
  4. Hesscabob

Hesscabob Aspirant (225) Mar 16, 2014 Illinois

Since Half Acre and Revolution have been mentioned already, I'll go with Finch's. Haven't had a beer I dont like and everything is solid. Cool looking cans and I have to represent Chi Town

5. Zonk

Zonk Disciple (368) Dec 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Kane. Outside of ANTEAD, it doesn't seem like many people seek out there beers. I think this will probably change when they can.

6. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,365) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'll agree with Boulevard. Their IPAs are solid and Saison Brett and Tank 7? Fugetaboutit.

7. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,217) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

I feel kinda bad, because I'm always pumping them up, but Saint Archer is fantastic. Incredibly deft hand with the hoppy stuff, but equally adept at other styles. They get lost amongst the San Diego behemoths and upstarts, but their stuff is top friggin' notch.

RLVineh likes this.
  8. BecauseWhalezbro

BecauseWhalezbro Aspirant (296) Apr 22, 2015 Colorado
    Trader

Odell
    Metropolitian

9. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (859) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Heretic, Bear Republic, Council, Indeed, Pizza Port

10. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,376) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Their whole smokestack series is good with a lot of those beers being great. Their saisons are definitely my favorite, and their dark truth stout is just mind blowing.
    I'd have to mention Dfh they are constantly mentioned on over rated brewery threads and catch a lot of hate, but their ipas and palo santo marron are great, I also e joyed namaste quite a bit.

WellRested518 likes this.
  11. DukeCola

DukeCola Initiate (89) Mar 14, 2015 New Hampshire

Plus you can actually find Jack's in stores, no waiting in lines or chasing beer trucks.

12. TuckerMaxx

TuckerMaxx Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2010 Connecticut

I always have a good time with Milwaukee Brewing Co too.

twb0392 likes this.
  13. ZionsvilleBeerDork

ZionsvilleBeerDork Initiate (104) Jan 17, 2015 Indiana

2nd Shift outside of St. Louis. Overshadowed by Perennial, Side Project and 4 Hands (in my mind, 4 Hands can't be underrated with the way Madagascar and Vols. 1 & 2 were chased), they make some great brett beers.

14. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

Union Craft

jcos likes this.
  15. RLVineh

RLVineh Initiate (136) Jun 21, 2014 California
    Trader

I think Lagunitas gets a little overlooked. I dig there hoppy stuff.

Marklaker and SFACRKnight like this.
  16. deverlow

deverlow Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2015 Texas

Reading through the responses I really disagreed with Boulevard. After giving it some thought, yes they can be found almost anywhere. But a lot of people take them for granted and don't talk about their offerings as much. I've not found a Smokestack Series beer I haven't liked. Now I'll agree, they don't get the attention they deserve.

esimonoff likes this.
  17. BJRHOMEBREW

BJRHOMEBREW Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2008 Ohio

Conquest in SC. They are small but their brewery release Finisher and Barrel variant Finishers are as good or better than most hyped RIS's I've had. Their year round beers are good and their coffee IPA is solid.

18. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,052) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

2nd Shift definitely makes some quality beers. Brew Cocky is one of my favorite DIPAs and I'd put it up against the big guns.

19. Wolfeman1704

Wolfeman1704 Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2015 Ohio

Heavy Seas often gets overlooked in my opinion as well. Their Barrel Aged series are fantastic especially for the price! Siren Noir, Black Beard's Breakfast, and Phantom Ship are incredible! and only for around $7.99 retail!

Also, I really dig everything Uinta has done. Especially their Crooked series. The Sour Plum was fantastic but for some reason they recalled all the bottles cause it didn't "meet up with their quality standards". But I thought the beer was great!

And last but not least, Breckenridge is actually a pretty solid brewery too that often gets overlooked. Their Tequila Barrel Aged Ophelia is great! Also, Everyone loves some BA Imperial '72!

20. lucasj82

lucasj82 Zealot (575) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

Southern Tier has a good line-up and doesn't seemed to get a lot of hype.

sajaffe1, tillmac62, Hamilax and 4 others like this.
  21. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,244) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois

i think Sierra Nevada gets lots of love on this site. do they get enough? maybe not. i wouldn't call it "underrated" though

22. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,360) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Deschutes gets overlooked a lot, lagunitas doesn't get the recognition they deserve, and odell needs more fans as well. I'll throw funkwerks in the ring as well.

sajaffe1, gyoungit and breadwinner like this.
  23. Greasy

Greasy Disciple (385) Aug 12, 2013 Kentucky

North Coast. It's everywhere. Old Rasputin and Old Stock (especially their barrel aged variants) are really hard to beat in their respective styles. Brother Thelonious is solid and Scrimshaw is a very good pilsner.

Brolo75, ClavisAurea, Jnashed and 2 others like this.
  24. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I agree. And as long as we are talking Wisconsin, Capitol makes some very nice beers. I think Leinenkugels deserves more respect than they get as well. Cheers!

25. CapCollector16

CapCollector16 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Ohio

I agree!! Love Southern Tier

lucasj82 likes this.
  26. stingley

stingley Initiate (115) Sep 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

I had a Highland 12 pack while at the Outer Banks a few months ago. They were all very good beers, I don't know how far they reach but it's the first I had heard of them. Knocked back three or four while sitting under the Avon pier enjoying the scenery and a nice big cigar.

27. stingley

stingley Initiate (115) Sep 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

I love Southern Tier! They're "local" to me... hmmmm... come to think of it, it's been a while, I'm about due for a brewery trip.

Pumking Season is fast approaching, the love/hate will commence soonly.

lucasj82 likes this.
  28. Golfer3Aces

Golfer3Aces Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 Wyoming

I would give this award to Uinta or Odell.

29. Omnium

Omnium Meyvn (1,406) Jan 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

Summit gets the vote for me. Every beer they brew is an excellent representation of the style intended. Tasty well executed beers.

TEdubbaD, schteve and Givemebeer like this.
  30. PEIhop

PEIhop Crusader (710) Dec 2, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Berkshire Brewing Company.
    Solid and consistent portfolio - especially their Kolsch, Czech Pils and Octoberfest

31. DrippingI

DrippingI Initiate (181) Apr 12, 2012 Indiana

For Indiana, even though Bare Hands makes some good stuff, I'd probably go with Black Acre or possibly even Scarlet Lane. Would list off 18th St. too, but I think their known enough.

PBRmeasap1980 likes this.
  32. mangoman39

mangoman39 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2015 South Carolina

In reality, the truly most underrated breweries would be some of the small time, non distributed breweries around the country that almost no one has heard of. For me it would be Rapp Brewing Company in Seminole FL.

WellRested518 and chippo33 like this.
  33. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Devotee (497) Sep 20, 2014 California

Clown Shoes. Only for the fact that no one mentions them in the "best NE breweries" threads and whatnot. Their DIPA is one of my fav beers and their stouts are terrific.

Antg8989 likes this.
  34. esetter

esetter Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2014 Tennessee

I know they are all over Tennessee and North Carolina. Keep your eye out for Cold Mountain. It has a big release party and cult following here.

35. bmf5581

bmf5581 Aspirant (293) Mar 14, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Let's not forget 2nd Shift's LSD and LSD w/ Bluepoint Coffee. The Mullineaux series is also there.

Monkeyknife likes this.
  36. zildjian1z

zildjian1z Initiate (56) Jun 11, 2015 Indiana
    Trader

Haven't had a chance to try their stuff yet... are they bottling/canning?

37. JArt

JArt Aspirant (276) Nov 14, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I definitely agree with Half Acre, the beer is awesome and the people are great! In my opinion, Fat Heads is underrated comparatively speaking as far as their IPA/DIPA program goes. I literally came home from a 5 day trip in Vermont and was craving a fresh Head Hunter.

38. nmyers462000

nmyers462000 Initiate (109) Oct 1, 2013 Florida

Coppertail and Angry Chair are up-and-comers that are putting out great beers.

Sidenote: If you get a chance, check out Coppertail in person. The brand new taproom and 50 bbl Rolec brewhaus are a thing of beauty.

osc1123 likes this.
  39. ZionsvilleBeerDork

ZionsvilleBeerDork Initiate (104) Jan 17, 2015 Indiana

Yeah. Not sure where you are, but the downtown (Indy) Crown has BB Mail Order Bride, their DIPA, and one or two other things in bombers right now.

Indywebs likes this.
  40. Bdubbsyall

Bdubbsyall Initiate (60) Aug 13, 2014 Illinois

How has this thread not turned into people angrily defending their locals yet?

chippo33 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.