Most Underrated Brewery...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CapCollector16, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,217) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

That's what the "Which brewery has gained a following the fastest" thread is for:wink:

LambicPentameter and Bdubbsyall like this.
  2. NGennaroL777

NGennaroL777 Initiate (95) Aug 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

jhavs said it. Lost Nation is way under appreciated. I met the head brewer last year. Good dude. They had a beer that was like an orgasm in my mouth. Just unreal. I regret to this day that I didn't get a growler of it.

blisscent, WellRested518 and chippo33 like this.
  3. Wobbly

Wobbly Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2013 Missouri

On this site, pick almost any classic British or German brewery and you will find an underrated brewery. Samuel Smith, Fuller's, Young's all come to mind from Britain.

#83 Wobbly, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    tmbgnicu likes this.
  4. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (5,296) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts

Sly Fox. I think they make some of the best lagers in America. I love visiting their brew pub when I am in the area just to taste their latest creations. Abita also makes several styles well and their latest releases have all been really tasty.

RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  5. Gunch52

Gunch52 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

2nd shift for me as well

bmf5581 likes this.
  6. Stevem68

Stevem68 Meyvn (1,040) May 14, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

How about the Brew Kettle & Hoppin Frog. There local for me and I overlook them from time to time. But everything they do is solid

7. TboneRN

TboneRN Defender (640) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Pipeworks

8. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (396) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

I love Pipeworks, but they are not underrated. They are hyped quite a bit in chicago.

I think Spiteful would be my answer at the current moment. But with Brickstone now canning, that may change soon.

craft_is_king and KSOZE like this.
  9. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (358) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

The sadly defunct-for-now Enlightenment. Fantastic saisons, pretty overlooked even locally because, well... saisons. Those of us in the know will certainly miss them.

blisscent likes this.
  10. TboneRN

TboneRN Defender (640) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Good they should be!

11. iamthecarlos

iamthecarlos Initiate (145) Jan 2, 2015 California
    Trader

Noble was batting 1.000 with me, and then they made sorachi ace showers lol

I still love them though!

12. Monktastic7

Monktastic7 Initiate (151) Jun 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I personally Tired Hands doesn't get nearly enough credit however I admit I am a bit of a "fangirl" for them.

raynmoon likes this.
  13. Jnashed

Jnashed Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Virginia

Although I do not like Purple Haze . I agree some of their newer beers including Wrought Iron IPA are very good

14. WillQC4Beer

WillQC4Beer Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

I've recently been exposed to Neshaminy Creek and I feel like they get next to no love on here, they're producing some great stuff

Monktastic7 likes this.
  15. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (2,055) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois

16. Monktastic7

Monktastic7 Initiate (151) Jun 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I personally wasn't a huge fan of it but "Shape of Hops to Come" has gotten some decent love and attention.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  17. Kevin67

Kevin67 Disciple (359) Feb 8, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

Ozark Beer Company in Rogers Arkansas. Their BDCS was one of the best beers I've ever had and was definitely better than most of the hyped barrel aged stouts on BA. The APA and Belgian are great, as well. By the end of the year, they should be canning their IPA, Cream Stout and Onyx Coffee Stout. I can't wait for distribution to Oklahoma. :sunglasses:

BeerMeBro720 and capnamerica like this.
  18. October

October Initiate (103) Jul 10, 2015 Pennsylvania

Fat Heads. Yes they are local but I honestly have not had a bad beer from them and Head Hunter is a massively underrated IPA.

19. BaronRVH

BaronRVH Initiate (186) Jan 18, 2010 Ohio

What's the latest count of U.S. breweries, according to the Brewers Association - 3,464 at the end of 2014? I'm sure there are a ton of all-time greatly under-valued breweries except to those customers who know that great local one and they support it with patronage and by turning on their friends, families and acquaintances.

20. BaronRVH

BaronRVH Initiate (186) Jan 18, 2010 Ohio

I think Head Hunter has won a few awards... Great beers!

21. echardcore

echardcore Initiate (74) Nov 27, 2009 New Jersey

Stoudt's in PA. Best Maibock ever. Excellent Pils which got bronze at WBC.

RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  22. BeerPredator

BeerPredator Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2015 Indiana

Idk where you guys are at in Indiana, but Taxman in Bargersville is outstanding as well. They specialize in Belgium beers and have great food too. They apparently are gonna start a canning line and sour brewing too.

PBRmeasap1980 and DrippingI like this.
  23. DrippingI

DrippingI Initiate (181) Apr 12, 2012 Indiana

I'm located in Indy. Been meaning to go to Taxman as I've had a couple of their stuff at La Margarita and heard they make some quality stuff. Though, didn't they just start up like a year or two ago? Seems a bit too early for them to start canning.

24. BeerPredator

BeerPredator Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2015 Indiana

Its definately early you're right. I think it'll be a while before they start canning/making sours but one of the bartenders told me they bought the old building south of their brewery (think it is an old fire station?) that they are gonna do that in. Im assuming they have to fix it up and everything first of course, so not sure how long it will take.

Regardless, heavily recommend swinging by the brewpub for a couple pints; the tripel and ipa are both solid. they also usually have a Brewmaster's special, which is one of their beers that they put a twist on by adding an ingredient, barrel aging it, etc.

DrippingI likes this.
  25. RLM15

RLM15 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2013 California

green flash

Brolo75 and Ford like this.
  26. Ford

Ford Champion (817) Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Society

And the head brewer really is into guitars. He is/was a poster on Thegearpage.net where I frequent.

27. Ford

Ford Champion (817) Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Society

Real Ale out of Blanco, Texas. They are now a medium to large craft brewery. Everything they put out is solid, but they aren't the cool new guy to go buy beer from. They just make great beer regularly.

28. wonothesane42

wonothesane42 Devotee (474) Jan 22, 2013 New Jersey

I'm sure many will disagree but I think Epic Brewing out of Utah is very underrated, with the exception of Big Bad Baptist, many of their beers are quite tasty.

29. capnamerica

capnamerica Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2013 Arkansas

Awesome. I don't think we'll be canning the Onyx Coffee Stout that soon though.

30. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (470) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

I'll put in a nod for a little known (Maybe outside of Colorado) brewery called Elevation in the middle of nowhere- Poncha Springs. (BFE)

They have awesome hoppy beers and their barrel aged offerings are phenominal- Oil Man and False Summit are spectacular

Oh, - and River North Brewery in CO is also becoming one of my favorites and not garnering much national attention

Coopington likes this.
  31. Antg8989

Antg8989 Champion (825) Jul 18, 2014 New Jersey

Flying Dog for sure. No liquor store employees seem to like them, the only beer anybody seems to talk about is raging bitch, yet the consistently put out solid brews every 3 months.

32. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (999) May 2, 2010 Ohio

I agree they put out some really good stuff but their bottle pricing is borderline insane. Their can stuff is reasonably priced but their bottled stuff is...a serious joke.

33. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,267) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

I really enjoyed the Raspberry Gulch that I stumbled upon when I was in Colorado.

Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  34. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,267) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

I'll go with 2 locals and then a regional. Locally, Urban Chestnut is pretty awesome if you are looking for traditional styles and new takes on them. Their German lagers are second to none in the US (at least I haven't found comparable yet). Also 4 Hands makes consistently good beers all the time and then the occasional big, barrel aged, highly sought after beer.

Regionally, I will always go back to Founders. I know that no one really considers them underrated, but the everyday beers they put out (I'm talking Porter, Dirty Bastard, All Day) are really good at a good price point. Also, their seasonals are rarely a miss for me, especially when you add their recent black IPA's and there is always FBS.

35. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Aspirant (239) Jan 16, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Right on both selections. As drinks writer Lew Bryson put it: "Well, yeah, but...this IS southeastern Pennsylvania, the best place for lagers outside of central Europe."

36. Kevin67

Kevin67 Disciple (359) Feb 8, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

Well, now I'm bummed. :slight_frown:

37. Nuggetz

Nuggetz Devotee (427) Dec 5, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Saint Archer is great and a little underrated. They make some solid IPAs

38. capnamerica

capnamerica Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2013 Arkansas

The other two you mentioned should be the next to be canned though. :slight_smile:

39. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Summit doesn't get nearly enough love here. Also, though they're only in MN at this time, Fulton is one that I think we'll be discussing a lot more in the years to come. They're not 'under-rated' so much as they just haven't hit the big radar yet, but they will.

40. mtvolkens

mtvolkens Initiate (180) Jan 23, 2015 Florida

I'm a really big fan of a small brewery Due South down here in Florida. I believe I've had some FANTASTIC brews from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.