Most Underrated Styles?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by unlikelyspiderperson, May 21, 2020.

1. AWA

AWA Disciple (321) Jul 22, 2014 California

I knew you had good taste. I would say rye IPA's and dark lagers. Very little love, and most of the rye IPA's I drink go away way too fast. AT least I have 1 local brewery still making a solid 1.

Amendm, John123will, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  2. ATL6245

ATL6245 Aspirant (279) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia

I see Kobinian at my local Total Wine pretty regular. But that's about it. I just think drinkers are still to busy chasing the latest NEIPA or sour and ignoring long time classics. That's interesting about Salvator. It's definitely different than Celebrator. It's almost like you either like one or the other. I like Celebrator too, but prefer Salvator. Both are top notch in my book though. The big thing is I would love to try some fresh locally made Dopplebock.

3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,477) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Who's making a rye IPA down your way?

Metalsnota and AWA like this.
  4. AWA

Discretion Brewery. Uncle Dave's IPA. Fairly solid, and always fresh. By me anyway.

5. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Never heard of them, I always mean to explore the sc area breweries and then I stop by SARA and the urge disappears

6. AWA

They're probably number 4 in the area. Unless you're here for a few days you can skip them. Their shit is in every restaurant and Trader Joes, so you can grab it on you're way out. SARA on the other hand is worth the trip. Hit me up if you're coming.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  7. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (2,932) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

I am with most of the styles mentioned here, but I really miss a good black IPAs!

guinness77 likes this.
  8. philbe311

philbe311 Poo-Bah (2,427) Jan 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

1. Scotch Ale
    2. Scotch Ale
    3. Scotch Ale
    4. Scotch Ale
    5. Scottish Ale

9. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,229) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Grisette....

dewski312, eppCOS, TongoRad and 4 others like this.
  10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,388) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I wouldn’t say under rated but I really enjoy low abv stouts and porters around 4-7 % in comparison to imperial over 10% + everything. I wish I’d see more of it. Even in summer.

11. Urk1127

Do you get smuttynose in TN? Hayseed is so amazing.

12. Urk1127

Question if I may since you are from TX. I have only ever had two altbier. Shiner Bock and Long Trail Ale and from memory they seemed so different from one another. Is Shiner big in TX? What altbiers would you recommend if any commercially available ?

13. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (634) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

That’s fine. DuPont was the first light-struck Saison I had back about a decade ago and is an experience I’ll never forget. Forged my love of Saison.

Point remains, regardless of semantics. Green glass Saison!

14. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,229) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

We do not unfortunately...

15. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (227) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

Brown Ales are more available than the other styles you listed.

Shiner Bock is extremely popular here in Texas. But I've never heard anyone try to liken it to an Altbier. I guess if you stretch it out could be somewhat similar to Diebels Alt. But the Shiner has a corny flavor that doesn't exist in the German beer.
    I don't think I've ever seen Long Trail Ale.

EmperorBatman and Urk1127 like this.
  16. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (7,526) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

17. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (227) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

I think Alaskan Amber is supposed to be an altbier.

I only know of one other distributed American alts.
    Altstadt Brewery makes an altbier. They also now call it their amber but it also has altbier on the can. It gets throughout most of Texas but I don't think it's distributed outside of Texas.

There is also one brewery in North Texas but I've only seen it in their taproom.

Urk1127 likes this.
  18. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,482) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

19. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Zealot (509) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Agreed, and I'll add Kolsch (and pilsner) where there's a clear love of the craft. So many breweries make a blonde/golden/kolsch/pils where it's clear they just felt they needed a "lawnmower/dad beer," and it's just a light flavorless nothing. It's to the point where it's always the first thing I order at a new brewery...if you don't care about your pils or kolsch, I don't care about your gin barrel aged jalapeno strawberry kettle sour.

Jacobier10, ZlaVydra, eppCOS and 4 others like this.
  20. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (143) Jan 8, 2015 California

If we can only pick one, I'm with this guy.

eppCOS, lateralusbeer and PapaGoose03 like this.
  21. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (634) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Went through my cellar today and found a 375ml Veille Provision with a 2019 date code.

Green bottle.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,655) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I was solely commenting upon Saison Dupont; my post: "Saison Dupont is now packaged in brown bottles..."

There are indeed other breweries still using green bottles.

Cheers!

23. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,564) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I came here just to say this. I've grown to appreciate a good table beer, and a grisette fills that bill nicely.

DiUr, deanzaZZR, PapaGoose03 and 2 others like this.
  24. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (326) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Any type of Lager and true Pale Ales aka not IPAs labeled as PAs.

25. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (510) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Lately, virtually any styles that aren't hazy juicy New England IPAs...

Sludgeman, J-Bk, eppCOS and 2 others like this.
  26. AWA

How about rauchbiers. Is it just me? I mean, probably, but damn I love them and there just aren't that many. At least that I can get.

27. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,330) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Most German lager styles other than Pilsner and Helles (those are plentiful). I get so excited when I find a good Dortmunder, Kellerbier, Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Vienna, Traditional Bock, Maibock, Doppelbock, and Baltic Porter.

And pretty much any proper English style other than Milk Stouts and Oatmeal Stouts, which seem to be about the only surviving ones that are brewed by craft brewers.

28. Elfastball7

Elfastball7 Disciple (306) Oct 7, 2007 New Jersey

I want to like this 666 times. I like the style to an extent, but this is getting ridiculous. Miss those days when other beer styles besides IPAs were cool.

29. craigbelly

craigbelly Meyvn (1,221) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa
    Society

I couldn't agree more with a rye ipa. Hard to find a good one (maybe that's why there's so few) but when you do its perfection. I took it for granted trying so many great ones in my general location and now find then difficult to find.

30. Elfastball7

Elfastball7 Disciple (306) Oct 7, 2007 New Jersey

Remember SN Ruthless Rye? Miss that beer.

31. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,564) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Get yourself one of those portable smoke infusers, load it with some pecan chips, stick the tube in your beer glass, and Bob's yer uncle. (Disclaimer: I have not tried this, but I intend to just as soon as I can find one of these smokers. I've been dying for a smoked Manhattan lately.)

32. AWA

I'm so on this

unlikelyspiderperson and dcotom like this.
  33. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

We're going to be needing updates, with pictures, from both of you. And I'm in on the kick starter at whatever level gets me a prototype. Im sick and tired of this unsmoked beer

dcotom likes this.
  34. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,446) Jan 6, 2014 New York

The funny thing, and I love this thread, but when I first really got into drinking most of these styles being listed were readily available at most distributors around me. It really says a lot about the nature (and fickleness) of this industry that a lot of these styles are not only scarce but almost doomed to extinction. Sucks.

Have brown ales been brought up yet, because a good brown ale on a crisp day hits the spot. I miss Durty by Smutty nose so damned much, even if it’s a “hoppy” brown. Bell’s Best Brown is incredible on a 50 degree day after it’s been summer for 3 or 4 months.

#74 guinness77, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
  35. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (147) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Pilsners in particular have crossed over and are now being brewed in amazing fashion by top tier microbreweries all over the US and elsewhere. Finally...

I think California has become a mecca for pilsners and lagers, including HPB, SARA, Alvarado, Homage, Cellarmaker, North Park...

HPB's Timbo, B West's Popfuji, Homage's Tristeza are absolutely delicious. And HPB just came out with a 90 Hour Days dry hopped pils brewed with citra that is basically a NE Pils, and ridiculously good.

I think German rauchbier doesn't get nearly enough love. And black IPAs should still be a thing. And I also think pumpkin ales are damn, damn tasty. :slight_smile:

SFACRKnight and PapaGoose03 like this.
  36. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,655) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

To the best of my recollection you are the only person who has made mention of pumpkin beers in this thread.

It was not all that long ago that my local beer retailers would be full of an assortment of pumpkin beers during the late summer/early fall season. I noticed last year the number of pumpkin beers (both number of brands and quantities) were notably reduced. Is this a 'predictor' that pumpkin beers are no longer in vogue as a fall seasonal beer?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

lateralusbeer likes this.
  37. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,504) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I love rye ipas, and rye whiskey too, not so easy to find since Burial dropped Scythe.

38. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,910) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

We had an online tasting of pumpkin beers in 2018, and I had a hard time finding a good selection to choose from then.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  39. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,482) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

2018 was the year of the marzen. It seemed every brewer around me who traditionally brewed pumpkin beers suddenly gave up the style and tried a marzen instead.

MNAle likes this.
  40. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I have been lamenting the lack of lagers in CA in another thread. Who is making quality lagers (other than pilsners, which do seem to be having a moment) in CA ?