Most Underrated Styles?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by unlikelyspiderperson, May 21, 2020.

1. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,439) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

These threads always boomerang back. It gives me deja vu. But as to the question, I'll sound like a broken record (again and again and again):

1. Cacadian or "black IPA" ales
    2. Kolsch
    3. Grisette
    4. Grodziskie

Lulah, Amendm, ChicagoJ and 5 others like this.
  2. defunksta

defunksta Champion (839) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

1) Totally agree with the Keller/Zwickel. By far the most underrated style. Just the right amount of flavor with an outstanding appearance and body, while staying dry.

2) Again agree with the dark/black lager. Especially for the Spring season as it thaws. You don't need a warming beer anymore, but still want dark and roasty flavors.

3) Saisons will always be underrated due to their complexity. No Saison is the same.

4) Finally German Pilsners are underrated and often shoved-off into the light and American lager category. But when done right these beer are so perfect.

I hope breweries will start making more Zwickels.

3. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (244) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Some of you are going to cringe when reading this, but the one beer that I wish I could get more of in Massachusetts is a NEIPA or Pale Ale with a Rye base- I know of two beers that suit- Lux by Bissell Brothers and Danko by Exhibit A, both are intermittently available and require trips. Neither is rated exceptionally high, but rate near my top list of beers. I suspect that lower relative ratings to other NEIPAs discourages brewers from making the style, but I would love some insight. My dessert Island beer would be the NEIPA with honey, Simcoe, Mosaic and and heavy Rye grist mill bill. anyone have a suggestion of other beers that are similar?

Amendm and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  4. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,385) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Grodziskie - can someone talk a bit more of what this style really is? I don't know much about this style.

Lulah, Bitterbill and ChicagoJ like this.
  5. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Initiate (154) Jul 1, 2009 Scotland

It is a Polish top-fermenting beer made from smoked wheat malt. Very nice.

6. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Zealot (509) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If you talk to distributors, pumpkin beers have fallen way off. Distros are terrified to bring too much in because they know they'll be stuck with it.

Lulah, Bitterbill and JackHorzempa like this.
  7. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (634) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

It was DuPont

Their Vieille Provision in 375 ml bottle, green, 2019.

SFACRKnight and JackHorzempa like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,610) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

All of the Saison Dupont bottles I have seen have been in brown bottles over the past few years.

Cheers!

9. hoptualBrew

Trader

I’ve seen and bought green bottles.

Cheers!

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,610) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yes, you have communicated here. Hopefully you have the ability to understand that others have seen differently.

lateralusbeer likes this.
  11. hoptualBrew

Trader

Just clarifying for you Jack.
    You came in hot with such a definitive, point of authority, statement that DuPont saisons are packaged in brown bottle for years.
    But you were wrong good sir.

readyski likes this.
  12. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,830) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

Anything dunkel. Emphasis on weizen.

ATL6245 likes this.
  13. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,262) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

You hardly ever see the ESB style in beer stores, at least where I am.

14. MusicBeer_1961

MusicBeer_1961 Initiate (126) Feb 23, 2014 Nebraska

I can remember years ago when Franziskaner Hefeweizen was sold in green bottles. They’ve been brown bottles since at least 2010 I think.

15. MusicBeer_1961

MusicBeer_1961 Initiate (126) Feb 23, 2014 Nebraska

And I think a good Hefeweizen or Witbier have become more under appreciated over the past decade. These were my gateway beers into craft back in the 1990’s. Even though today I’m stocked with various IPA’s and cellering imperial barrel aged stouts, I still enjoy coming back to a good Hefeweizen or white ale..especially in the warmer weather months.

bubseymour, ATL6245, DiUr and 2 others like this.
  16. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (136) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

English Milds and Bitters. I just can’t find them, except the occasional obligatory Fullers and Samuel Smith (which are fine beers BTW). Can’t rate them if you can’t get them.

17. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (2,017) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Rye beers in the 6-8abv range, and English Milds, particularly pale ones are hard to come by

18. Metalsnota

Metalsnota Devotee (478) Feb 6, 2015 Minnesota

Another Rye IPA vote. Just delicious.
    Also, Baltic porters are a favorite for the winter in northern MN.

19. 1009

1009 Aspirant (205) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

I really think shandies or radlers don't get enough love. Especially in the Summer. A good change up in the hotter months for something a bit more refreshing rather than warming like a winter lager.

20. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,847) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

No particular order:

• Anything ending in "bock" - especially Eisbock
    • AAL - everyone mocks big beer but very few try to beat them at their own game
    • English Ales - particularly done in "real ale" way, bitter, porter, brown, IPA, etc
    • Altbier is always a fav
    • Dark lagers - always use more Schwarzbier and Dunkel Lager

21. maxpower

maxpower Poo-Bah (1,688) Jan 26, 2002 Missouri
    Society

22. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,818) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I was at Aldstadt in January, the Alt was more like Diebels. At 18 IBU you want find anything like that in Düsseldorf.

Bitterbill likes this.
  23. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (308) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

With craft beer people? Light lagers for sure.

As much as I love stouts, IPAs, etc... when the temps get to 90 degrees I like to just crack a cold beer and drink it.

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (7,507) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Thinking about this again, I really haven't had a Biere de Champagne I haven't liked. Haven't had many but hey it's enough to notice. Then again I was the guy who was sad to see the Brut IPA summer fling die soooooo yeah

25. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (552) Mar 19, 2012 California

Doggie...oh wait, wrong forum!

thesherrybomber likes this.
  26. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (226) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

It's been 12 years since I've had a Diebels because it's not available in Texas.

I drank it a lot 12 years ago but even though I was really close to Dusseldorf I never went there. I didn't really know Dusseldorf altbiers were a thing when I was just 21.

The Altstadt wasn't as hoppy as what I understand Dusseldorf altbiers are but I thought it was more complex than I remember Diebels being.

Bitterbill and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  27. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,408) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Alphabetical order:

Cask Pours (not really a style, but there are only three places with cask pours here, 1 regular, 2 sometimes)
    English Bitter (Honker's Ale, where art thou?)
    Grodziskie (Loved the few smoke beers I've had so far)
    Kolsch (Yes please)
    West Coast IPAs (Fresh in Chicago, though a few more local breweries are bringing this back)

If you brew it, they will come!

28. John123will

John123will Initiate (88) Jun 27, 2018 Indiana

I 100% agree. I recently had a dunkelweizen for the first time in over a year and instantly wished they were easier to find.

29. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,432) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Biere Brut
    Rauchbier
    Belgian Tripels

30. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,127) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

A well done Kolsch can be divine. No love for styles that are defined by subtlety.

31. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,223) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

The Epics seem to fly off the shelf in Casper. Shrugs.

32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,223) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Sadly, most of the style I've seen are not straight up. This and that are added and the vast, or at least most, majority don't cut it for me.

ATL6245 and ChicagoJ like this.
  33. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,426) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Another style that I think I am.completely unfamiliar with

34. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,050) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Looks like the below news, announced only days after your post, didn't receive much of a reaction here on BA (an equivalent deal in the US of a multinational brewer buying a large, well-known indie would see pages of posts), only a couple of posts in the UK subforum:
    THE GUARDIAN- Brewers Carlsberg UK and Marston's announce merger

35. ATL6245

ATL6245 Aspirant (260) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia

Interesting. Creature Comforts Brewing here in Georgia has a Rye Amber Ale called Reclaimed Rye that is part of their core beer lineup. They age it with French Oak and use Crystal, Styrian Golding, and Chinook hops. It has to be one of the most underrated beers in Georgia. The Rye malt seems to add body and a silky smoothness to it. If more breweries used Rye malt in Amber Ale, it would not surprise me if there was a rival of that fading style.

Reef and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  36. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,999) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I know a lot of people have been mentioning various lagers, but if there is one that really gets no love is the American lager style. Basically a high quality (and higher price) AAL. Most are pretty boring/bland, but when a craft brewery does it just right, the subtle tastes really shine thru (same comments as Kolsch). Because it’s titled American lager it get villainified and lumped in with AAL by many. More respect needed for the really good ones.

37. ATL6245

ATL6245 Aspirant (260) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia

AAL lager definitely has a place. I've had some pretty good ones lately from some of my local craft breweries.

bubseymour and Amendm like this.
  38. Amendm

Amendm Champion (805) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I agree and equate the plight of European Pale/Dark Lagers to most of the reasons above, price is not the issue here. With all the other Euro Lager choices, Pale and Dark Lagers seem to be the style of misfit toys.

I stumbled onto my first Euro Dark Lager recently, labeled as a Czech-Style Dark Lager.
    Modernism by the Schilling Beer Co. of scenic Littleton, New Hampshire.
    It was one of the best Beers I've tried in a while, it matched style guide lines almost perfectly.

I looked at other Euro-Darks that might be accessible, nothing stands out.

Small breweries, willing to do the off styles are helping to keep these styles going.

Cheers.

JackHorzempa and TongoRad like this.
  39. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,384) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I’m going to say Saison.

a lot of saison I’m seeing are soured or rosé or Chardonnay barrel. But a simple saison is my favorite style. Unfortunately for me I can not find them any longer. Unsure if Flying Fish has discontinued theirs or it is a late summer release again so what I’ve been doing is picking up things from Brasserie DuPont when I can. The price point is a bit high at $15 a four pack but it is worth it to me.

flying fish farmhouse
    Ommegang Hennepin and Short Sleeve Saison
    Allagash Saison.

these were regulars for me. Whichever I could find. No preference among them but I’ve not seen any of these in a while now

40. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,770) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Unfortunately the major classification systems don't adequately include the many Czech dark and black lagers; and here on BA they just get lumped in with that catch-all category.

Modernism is a very good beer, but I don't think anything like it is being imported at this time. If you can still find Jack's Abby German style porter that would be a great place to start. Otherwise keep an eye out for beers that self identify as black lagers for something close.

Funkwerks Saison is what you're looking for, and is available in NJ.

Amendm and Urk1127 like this.