Most Underrated Styles?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by unlikelyspiderperson, May 21, 2020.

1. Amendm

Amendm Champion (835) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I would be surprised if a Beer such as Modernism would be classified as a European Dark Lager if it was brewed in Europe.

And yes to Jacks Abby's German Style Porter, classified as a Baltic Porter, was a hit for me.

4.1/5 rDev +4.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

An easy pour from a 16-oz. can yields a finger of dark beige rocky froth with long retention and wide swatches of lacing.
    Opaque dark rosewood brown color, almost black.
    Smells of chocolate, coffee, fresh baked bread, sweet and roasted malt (unmalted barley?). These are prominent during the taste.
    Neutral on the sweetness with mild bitterness, even throughout. Some smoke flavor peeks in, ripe stone fruit and baked bread are prominent. Balanced malt flavors (bitter and sweet) plus yeast and a moderate astringency at the long finish. Roasted flavors linger during the long aftertaste.
    Light bodied, on the thin side with above average carbonation. Smooth and light, easy drinker.
    Porter like looks and taste, Dunkel Lager smell, Schwarzbier like feel and balance of sweet and bitter.
    Lots of flavor packed into a light body, another beauty from the Kellerbier series.

Mar 12, 2019 Edit Delete

It appears to be a lighter version of Framinghammer.
    Cheers.

eppCOS and TongoRad like this.
  2. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (153) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

English Bitters (in the US) and Milds, especially of the lower ABV variety but really across the board.

3. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,489) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

There's really only 2 brands that are common to find State side, both from Belgium... Deus and Malheur

I would find their bottles occasionally, but these days I am rarely ever seeing them. Mikkeller also made a very good one in the past too. Real fun and appreciative style, just like the name says. Bottles though tend to run pricey.

Had a few Dame Jeannes that I bought as a gift to myself back in the day... those were awesome too

4. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,330) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

What I would love to see made more often is Tmave lagers - basically Czech style dark lagers

eppCOS, ATL6245 and Bitterbill like this.
  5. zid

zid Meyvn (1,201) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

When I saw reports on that, and considered the pretty recent domino-ish circumstances of Fuller's, Greene King, and Marston's, it got me thinking (yet again) about the import options we have today. Barring the English beers in the B. United and Shelton Bros. portfolios - which seem very rare to come across these days, at this point I can only think of one regularly obtainable English product in US stores that isn't from a multinational - Samuel Smith. I could certainly be forgetting about some others, but that picture is alarming.

Here's an article on the Marston's deal that's worth a read. As someone who had a little attachment to Young's in the past, it feels like that brand is being tossed around like a hot potato.

Bitterbill and jesskidden like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,653) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

The good news is the the updated BJCP style guidelines of 2015 has a style definition for Czech Dark Lager. I have only seen a few of these types of beers brewed by US breweries but those I have had were well brewed.

A shout out to Triple Crossing Czech Dark Lager:

[​IMG]

Na Zdravi!

7. JackHorzempa

Society

Another quality Czech Dark Lager was made by Imprint Brewing:

[​IMG]

And for those folks willing to make the trip to Prague (which I strongly recommend):

[​IMG]

Cheers!

8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,794) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Good to see, and I'll have to check it out. But my initial reaction is that it's a start, but still doesn't seem to address the variations in flavor profile and gravity. On the positive side, if a brewer makes a dark lager it doesn't need to be square-pegged as either a dunkel or a schwartzbier any more.

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,908) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Robinsons?

Bitterbill and zid like this.
  10. zid

zid Meyvn (1,201) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Good call. And they only owe it all to Bruce Dickinson (literally).

305STIguy, Bitterbill and MNAle like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

Yes, I would encourage you to read the style definition in the BJCP style guidelines. Below is just a short snippet:

“Overall Impression: A rich, dark, malty Czech lager with a roast character that can vary from almost absent to quite prominent. Malty with an interesting and complex flavor profile, with variable levels of hopping providing a range of possible interpretations.”

FWIW I had over a half dozen brands of Czech Dark Lager in the Czech Republic and none of those beers had a “prominent” roast character. I have had less than that amount of American brewed Czech Dark Lagers but none of those beers had a “prominent” roast character either. And my homebrewed Tmavý Ležák (Czech Dark Lager) is not roasty either.

Na Zdravi!

TongoRad likes this.
  12. TongoRad

Society Trader

Ha! Yeah, they're covering a lot of bases there. :slight_smile:

From my own recollection Herold Black Lager definitely had a prominent roast character; Bernard less so; and Czechvar was the most like a dunkel.

13. JackHorzempa

Society

I did not see any Herald beer on tap at any of the numerous pubs I went to but I did have several 1/2 liters of the Bernard which did not have a "prominent" malt flavor as I discussed above. And I did drink a lot of Budweiser Budvar but only the Bohemian Pilsner since I did not see their Dark Lager on tap anywhere.

On a related note at the pubs the number of taps for Bohemian Pilsners (Czech Pale Lager) greatly outnumbered those for Dark Lagers. It would seem that the Czechs much prefer to drink Pale Lagers.

Na Zdravi!

TongoRad likes this.
  14. TongoRad

Society Trader

That's cool. I wouldn't use the word prominent either, which is what I was trying to say.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,322) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

All the Trooper I see are always past date and stored on warm shelves. When I reviewed it, it was the freshest I found, still past best by.

woemad and 305STIguy like this.
  16. 305STIguy

305STIguy Initiate (45) Oct 24, 2019 Florida

Old and way overpriced.

I have a difficult time finding Rauchbier and consistent Kölsch.

Bitterbill likes this.
  17. John123will

John123will Initiate (88) Jun 27, 2018 Indiana

18. plaid75

plaid75 Poo-Bah (4,355) Jan 13, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

These days, j,ust about every German style.

19. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,124) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Dark Lagers for me, love that roasted feel. Super refreshing on hot summer days.

woemad, thesherrybomber and ATL6245 like this.
  20. ATL6245

ATL6245 Aspirant (279) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia

I think too many people have the impression that a Dark Lager isn't drinkable in the summer. Schwarbier is a great summer style. Munich Dunkel too!

21. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,124) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I love them, I was working outside a few weekends ago and it was blazing hot, kicked back a few dark lagers and it was so refreshing, to me they are perfect for summer time.
    Cheers :beers:

22. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,489) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

yeah... same here... I am a big Kolsch fan as well.

Stateside made Kolsch's still come up from time to time I notice. I also seem to remember it was made a little more often, and more common by breweries years ago. Seemed like every new brewery was making a Kolsch.

I got the impression it was a good starter intro style for non craft beer drinkers to have when they visited a brewery or were trying to decide what to try first if they were a common mass lager drinker. Unfortunately too it sort of became for a little bit there like Gose is now, the style to become.... say lets add a whole bunch of fruit or whatever else we can to make this more wild, particularly a ton of hops!

Which is polarizing for some people, oh well.

I loved trying some of the bottled Kolsch's I could get (wasn't anywhere near Koln Kolsch country) when I was in Germany. Just a great style.

23. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,604) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Pilsener still gets a bum rap from people who think a light drinking, light colored lager automatically equals an AAL. I used to be one of those. Fortunately, I got over it a while ago.

JackHorzempa likes this.