Most Versatile Beer Glass?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, Mar 15, 2020.

1. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (437) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I think the most recent one of these threads was locked, so I decided to start a new one. I love beer glasses and think it would be interesting to see other's opinions on what they think is the most versatile beer glass for the styles of beer they consume. IMO, the Belgian Tulip is the most versatile for the styles of beer I consume most (IPAs, Double IPAs, and Imperial Stouts). What is yours?

[​IMG]

2. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (142) Jan 17, 2017 Czech Republic

for me it's probably the Willi Becher glass.

3. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,565) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I'm a simple man and love shaker pints for their utility and robustness...

4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (982) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

For most beers any pint is fine. For fancy brews a Red Wine glass.

5. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,738) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Most versatile? To me that means one that "will do" for a vast variety of styles from light lagers to BA stouts.

To me, that is an Imperial Tulip Pint (aka Irish pub pint). Provides room for impressive heads, provides visual appeal for everything from the blackest stout to the clearest pilsner, and has a curved side and sloping top to focus the aroma.

[​IMG]

The Belgian tulip is a good choice, especially for aromatic focus, but most are too small (13 oz or less, typically - although I do have a set that are 20 oz!) to be considered versatile, IMO. You can also call them "snifters" if they have a short, thick stem, - like the OP - etc. Just don't call them "snulips" UGGG!

6. zid

zid Meyvn (1,419) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

All glasses are equally versatile for me. :slight_smile:

7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,967) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Speigelau tulip is what I use and consider to be one of the most versatile.

[​IMG]

Photo is ~1/2 pour from a 16oz can for scale. Glass capacity is listed as 15.5oz.

I like the silhouette of the glass, which is clean for photos when coupled with the logo-less design. The shape works well with any beer with the slightly larger size holding most of a 16oz can, which is favorable compared with my older 12oz snifters. You can also buy them in packs in case you break any. I like the shape of Willibelchers for photos too and use shaker pints when "I just want a beer after work", but the Speigelau tulip is my go-to at this point.

8. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Aspirant (269) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

Great reply - I'd answer it the same way .

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,394) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I've been drinking straight from the can for a while now and quite enjoy it. Sue me.

10. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,738) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Just be sure to have your alcohol-based sanitary wipes handy! :wink:

11. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,361) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Duvel tulip is the answer

12. biermark

biermark Initiate (76) Sep 9, 2008 South Carolina

Large Sam Adams with the lip at the top.

13. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,693) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I gotta go with the Willi Becher myself. If we're talking overall versatility then I'd rather have a glass that's too big than too small for a 16 oz. can, so most of my snifters and tulips don't seem to qualify in that respect.

14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I !@#$ HATE the glasses with the lip on the bottom!
    Thank Gambrinus that I don't wear clothes that need dry-cleaning!

(EDIT- What? "Upside down"? You think? Ah, damn. Neither mind.)

15. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (28) Nov 5, 2019

What this person said.

16. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Defender (691) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

The vast majority of beers that I am reviewing, I drink out of a Duvel tulip. I find that it gives a beer the best chance to express itself. When I'm drinking old favorites, I might have them in a Hofbrau half liter glass or an Irish (Guinness) tulip. My shit beers I usually use a 22ounce "Applebees" glass.

17. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,370) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

For sheer versatility, a stemless red wine glass is hard to beat. It's not as pretty as a tulip or a snifter, though.
    My lawyers are on it.

18. ATL6245

ATL6245 Initiate (195) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia

Agree! Love my 20 oz. Willi. I wish American bars and restaurants would use a 20 oz. glass to pour 16 oz. beer in. They would be able to put a proper head on it.

19. defunksta

defunksta Crusader (761) Jan 18, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

The Belgian Tulip is the classic. It is great for agitating the beer and providing aromatics. However, it's often not big enough for a full pour and you have to pour in segments. Plus, it has the additional risk of fragility.
    In all honesty, I use a pint glass for nearly every beer besides IPAs, then I use a wine/tulip glass to get the aromatics. Much more practical, yet captures the quality.

20. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,316) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

While I love my snifters and tulips for stouts and Belgians, for all around utility, i.e., I can use it for any style, my go to is the large SAPP. I carry 2 in the RV just in case Mrs. Z breaks one :rolling_eyes::sunglasses:, and I buy on sight in the thrift stores. Cheers, and enjoy your glassware!

21. Dudeitscoldoutside

Dudeitscoldoutside Initiate (70) Dec 8, 2019 California

Anything that is not chipped, cracked or leak and gets the beer to my pie hole. Cheers!

22. Pinz412

Pinz412 Initiate (111) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I would have to agree with most that in regards to versatility the tulip is hard to beat. My personal favorite is the craftmaster though. I've never attempted imperial stouts from it, as it just doesn't feel right for some reason. Maybe I'll have to do some experimenting sometime.

23. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (780) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I use a 19oz nonic style most times. When splitting large bottles I have a few English 1/2 pints.

I really like my old Ommegang slender tulip style glass too.

For AAL the can/bottle works great.

Enjoy

24. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,394) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Due to my promise to not have a beer on a day that I swear, I have not purchased a beer since covid hit the states, not have I had one since early February. :rolling_eyes:

25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,359) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

There can’t possibly be only one, there’s many.

HF Balloon Glass
    SA Perfect Pint
    Old fashioned Pils glass
    Tulips of varying design.

I’m a glass whore, but restrained. I’ve got maybe 20 pieces of glass, some are a bit redundant though. But I love them all, and branding isn’t really necessary.

26. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,321) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

27. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (214) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Sounds like a common issue is size. I don’t mind, and In some cases (esp with IPAs, pales, pils, etc.), enjoy not being able to pour a whole beer into a glass. Aromatics and flavors change and fade over the course of drinking a beer. Pouring the rest of a beer is an opportunity to “refresh” it and establish new head and bring back those (hop) aromatics that were starting to fade.

28. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,394) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

That is indeed a nifty glass:

[​IMG]

What you need is a BIG Gulden Draak tulip glass:

[​IMG]

Cheers!

@zid

29. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,435) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Huh...I have a couple of those and didn't know they had a real name. Bought because I liked the shape, but I use them a lot for most beers. My Duvel large tulip is my second go to, especially for aroma heavy beers. But I will grab that pint glass pictured more often than not regardless of what it's called.

30. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,177) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

This one.
    Big enough to put in a fairly assertive pour, allow the head to rise with a full pint can. Great for any freaking beer...
    Plus, I love the Squidowl. Sue me....wait, er... no don't.
    [​IMG]

31. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,371) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I think I still have that glass Jack. I always like it because of the black bottom and the smokey kind of look it had. I have so many goat races glasses including a bunch of the mug styles, but the older Willie Becher styles are still my favorites. Nice pic too!

32. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,122) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

willi becher all the way! I have a miniature .25l willi becher glass that I got at Suarez Family Brewing which I use all too frequently. It's a miracle I haven't smashed it yet. (I probably just jinxed myself)

[​IMG]

I like the bigger ~16oz version I have too but for whatever reason I like the smaller one.

#32 tzieser, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    pburland23, KRug, AlcahueteJ and 9 others like this.
  33. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

I like that bottom glass @JackHorzempa

KRug likes this.
  34. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Seems like size of the glass may be more important than style/look of glass. Maybe I'm reading this wrong? Regardless, many cool opinions and pics so far.

tzieser and TongoRad like this.
  35. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (60) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Pretty much always use a Russian River branded nonic pint, believe it will hold 16oz of liquid so perfect for 12oz cans/bottles.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  36. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Aspirant (293) Jan 13, 2016 Ontario (Canada)

For me, it really depends on the type of beer (e.g. mostly Pilsner glass for Pilsners and, lagers; tulip glass for Belgian beers and sours; Imperial pint glass for ales).

#36 OldBrewer, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  37. JimKal

JimKal Devotee (495) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

But I always love your reviews when you use your Polish Pilsner glass.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  38. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,394) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

And I will continue to use that glass for my Pilsners but not too much for other beer styles.

I did drink a homebrewed Czech Dark Lager last evening using my Polish Pilsner glass and that beer tasted great in that glass.

Cheers!

@rotsaruch

P.S. I also last night drank a can of Sterling Shoats Pilsner in my Polish Pilsner glass as I grilled hamburgers and needless to say this beer was very tasty in that glass.

A picture from a prior NBS post:

[​IMG]

jzeilinger, eppCOS, Kadonny and 6 others like this.
  39. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (304) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Big Duvel tulips are great, but I'm more of a fan of my teku as of late. Especially for hoppy beers and sours.

40. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (105) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

I have about a dozen tekus, but almost always use a stemless wine glass or a tulip.