Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Europe Moving to Basel Switzerland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by jradams76, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jradams76

jradams76 Dec 25, 2010 Indiana

So my family will be moving to Basel Switzerland near the end of Aug and was hoping there was some fellow BA's that are in the area. Anyone have any good places to visit in Switzerland?

2. Brabander

Brabander Oct 10, 2009 Netherlands

Wish i had some info for you... i will send you a mail on FB with info of a friend who lives in/near Basel....

Can not wait to see you!

Thijs

jradams76 likes this.
  3. Bierman9

Bierman9 Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Not bier-centric, but Interlaken is a gorgeous place to visit. You can take lovely cruises on Lakes Thun or Brienz, or venture south into the Jungfrau area. A cablecar up to the Schilthorn is great, or take the train up to Klein Scheidegg then on through the Eiger up to the Jungfrau. Or maybe train further to Grindelwald. My wife and I once went from there up by chairlift to the top of the ridge, then hiked over to Schynige Platte, then tramway down and back to Interlaken.... It is a gorgeous area!!

4. Erzengel

Erzengel Sep 8, 2008 Germany
    Subscriber Beer Trader

There is "Getränke Ullrich" with three shops. They have a huge wine-selection and also nice beers (BFM, trois dames and many local beers), but are like all of Switzeland not cheap, but ok.
    http://www.ullrich.ch/ullrich/filialen.php
    I've been to their shop at Laufenstr. 16 a few times and they are nice and have always something new!
    --> Enjoy the area - and don't forget to look at the German side of the boarder :)

jradams76 likes this.
  5. jradams76

jradams76 Dec 25, 2010 Indiana

Thanks everyone I will check these places out. Thijs, Its almost time. Cant believe how this week is flying by. We will land in Basel on the 23rd.

6. Augustiner719

Augustiner719 Dec 11, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The best beer bars in Switzerland are the Erzbierschof in Liebfeld (5 mins from Bern) and PiBar in Lausanne. Definately worth a stop in there. Also in the main train stations at the big cities (Basel included) are stores called Drinks of the World. Those are worth a stop in to get a decent selection of european and swiss beers. Cheers!

7. Erzengel

Erzengel Sep 8, 2008 Germany
    Subscriber Beer Trader

But "Drinks of the world" is very expensive, in comparison to swiss "Getränkemärkten" or some wine-shops. But their selection is nice in deed...

8. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

There are some nice places to have a beer in Basel but as an occasional visitor I could use your report after you get your feet under you...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe