Moving to DC Area

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by sefus12, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (212) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Evening folks! The Mrs and I are moving to the DC area in a month or so and I was hoping people could inform me of the places to seek out for craft beer. We will likely be living in Alexandria or Arlington and we would love to know what breweries/bars to hit up. Any advice is more than appreciated. Cheers!

2. OGShotzy

OGShotzy Defender (606) Oct 5, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

Aslin
    Ocelot

Churchkey
    Meridian Pint
    Brookland Pint
    Smoke and Barrel
    The Sovereign
    Pizza Paradiso

jacewg likes this.
  3. Darwensi

Darwensi Initiate (166) Sep 7, 2007 New York
    Trader

Make The Veil a quarterly venture. 90 minute drive, no traffic.

4. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (802) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Three Stars

RFD

5. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (372) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Society Trader

In Arlington, Rustico is the best beer bar. For bottle shops, check out The Brew Shop, K-1, and Arrowine in Arlington; Dominion Wine and Beer in Falls Church, and Dept of Beer and Wine in Alexandria. Port City in Alexandria is another great local brewery.

6. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (275) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Leave house at 3am.

7. RKP1967

Exceptionally loose use of the term "great."

mayorQuimby and hoppytobehere like this.
  8. coquet

coquet Initiate (103) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

RIP, RFD.

9. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

Tons of places to get good craft beer in Arlington and Alexandria. Del Ray Pizza, restaurants, Lost Dogs. in Falls Church you have Dominion Wine and Beer, which just opened up a beer bar with 24 tap lines, and those guys know their beer. Also shameless plug, Rocket Frog Brewing Company should not be missed.

ArlVABeerGuy and b-mc-g like this.
  10. sefus12

Thanks folks! The move won't be until mid-November but the Mrs and I are traveling to Alexandria/Arlington this weekend to look at some rentals/explore some neighborhoods. Will try to hit one of these up Sat night, especially if I can find the UK game on a TV.

11. zid

zid Meyvn (1,385) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

ChurchKey when in DC

12. RKP1967

Yes, they definitely play a lot of the soccer games from the UK around the DC area.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  13. polopaul20

polopaul20 Devotee (419) May 9, 2011 Maryland
    Trader

Thinking he meant Kentucky

uptown_thunder likes this.
  14. sefus12

I assumed he was being sarcastic, but if not, yes, I meant University of Kentucky.

15. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (61) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

The first response (from OGShotzy) has all the best places covered in one spot with exception to Blue Jacket, I would add them to the list as well.

drtth likes this.
  16. RKP1967

If you're going to add Bluejacket, you need to add Right Proper.

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  17. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Already mentioned multiple times above, but Meridian Pint is an awesome beer bar (personal favorite) and a great place to watch a football game. I'm fairly certain I saw them post recently about you being able to reserve a tv with your game ahead of time if you call them. It is a trip from the Arlington/Alexandria area however.

jacewg likes this.
  18. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

Meridian Pint is also opening a new restaurant in Arlington some time this winter.

19. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (98) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

AshPash and TurkeysDrinkBeer like this.
  20. rightcoastn

rightcoastn Initiate (23) Nov 6, 2010 Maryland

In other brewery news Aslin is moving their brewery from Herndon to Arlington/Alexandria.

Also want to shout out Smoke & Barrel in admo for probably the best happy hour in town for craft beer during their Wednesday happy hour - 50% off all drafts from 5-7 so you can get Aslin, RAR, Southern Grist, Ocelot, Etc for $4-5 each.

jacewg likes this.
  21. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (61) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

b-mc-g likes this.
  22. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (341) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Literally announced hours ago...

DC may chew you up and spit you out before ground is even broken on this project

23. zp6167a

zp6167a Aspirant (250) Apr 19, 2011 District of Columbia

Port City is one of the best all around breweries out there.

It's really hard to find a bad beer from them. It's a great place to check out, especially if you're looking for something other than a hazy IPA.

I'll also second the earlier suggestions of Dominion Wine & Beer, The Brew Shop, and Arrowine for bottle shops.

24. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Amazingly no one's mentioned Solace, who are making some really nice IPAs as well. They may not be Aslin or Ocelot yet, but they're definitely worth mentioning.

Beers-es and b-mc-g like this.
  25. hoppytobehere

Only had Partly Cloudy and it was nothing to write home about. Any others I should seek out?

26. MattXT

MattXT Defender (632) Nov 23, 2010 Virginia

Lucy Juicy cans are around, and I found it to be phenomenal.

27. starrdogg

I actually quite enjoyed Partly Cloudy, but just about everything I've had from them (Lucy Juice, Suns Out, Hops Out and Buzz Magic) have all been very solid. Nothing has totally blown me away or anything, but I've enjoyed them all.

28. ItchyMitch

ItchyMitch Initiate (44) Apr 1, 2014 District of Columbia

Agreed, they are making good beer at Solace right now. Sun's Out is a really nice session and all the other IPA's/DIPA's have been very enjoyable. Partly Cloudy got really good about a week from canning, and the most recent drop (Super Dope & Buzz Magic) are tasting quite good right now too. Thunder Buddies cans are hitting stores this week and is solid from the little I've sampled. Solace is on the up and it's great since they clearly aren't focusing on juice bombs, just well built IPA's with some juicy tendencies.

b-mc-g likes this.
  29. jacewg

jacewg Zealot (592) Jan 7, 2012 District of Columbia

Partly Cloudy is the #1 selling IPA across Meridian Pint, Brookland Pint, and Smoke & Barrel.

ArlVABeerGuy and Beers-es like this.
  30. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (52) May 15, 2018 Virginia

I've had and really enjoyed the following recently: Partly Cloudy, Lucy Juicy, Buzz Magic and Thunder Buddy. All these are better than anything I've had from Ocelot recently, mostly just the canned offerings (I don't buy Aslin beer anymore so can't compare). Buzz and Partly being my favorites so far.

Their beers are also slightly less expensive than Ocelot and Aslin, direct from the brewery anyway.

31. AshPash

AshPash Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2018

32. hoppytobehere

Try reading the article

AshPash, Sheppard and coquet like this.
  33. AshPash

AshPash Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2018

Ah sorry lol I am new to this forum...thank you hoppy!

34. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (859) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

I think Buzz Magic is pretty fantastic.

35. AGirlandHerStout

AGirlandHerStout Initiate (62) Nov 23, 2014 Indiana

What are some good bottle/can shops in the area? Im in Georgetown and I'm striking out on finding a lot of local beers.

36. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

It depends on how big a radius from Georgetown you're referring to. I think the best selection true to Georgetown is probably Hop, Cask, & Barrel. Although I haven't been in recently their stuff tends to be pretty pricey and sometimes really marked up. If you're willing to travel just a little I'd suggest Calvert Woodley. They have a great selection of local and non-local stuff. If you're willing to travel even more then Craft Beer Cellar is also quite good.

Also the Brew Shop in Arlington might be closer for you depending on where in Georgetown you are. They have a fantastic selection and have growler/crowler options that are quite good as well.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  37. starrdogg

Continuing the Solace discussion, I just had my first dud from them over the weekend: Super Dope. It was fine, just was the first one of theirs' I probably wouldn't drink again.

38. guerj

guerj Initiate (63) Jul 22, 2011 Virginia

I'm so fortunate I live right in between Ocelot and Solace.... but yeah, Ocelot by far is much better if you are into cloudy IPAs right along with Aslin.

Old Ox and DC Brau for me if you are into non cloudy traditional IPAs.

39. scottDC

scottDC Aspirant (261) Jul 3, 2013 District of Columbia

I had Super Dope and Buzz Magic this weekend and wasn't impressed with either. Super Dope was sweet and under-attenuated and Buzz Magic was a very harsh-tasting 9%. Everything I've had from them has been reminiscent of 3 Stars--you can see what they're going for, but the execution just isn't there. Solace is a little better across the board, but it's hard to justify paying a premium for their IPAs when there are fresh sixers of Luponic Distortion for $10 at the grocery store.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  40. starrdogg

Ouch, harsh comparison! I'd say Solace is a lot better across the board (nothing from 3 Stars has been as good as the best Solace beers I've had), but if you'd only had Super Dope I could see how you'd make that comp at least. I had a couple Suns Out, Hops Out yesterday and that beer is really on point!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.