Moving to Pueblo. How's the beer?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by choicegrinds, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. choicegrinds

choicegrinds Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2014 New York

Moving soon from nj. Curious if anyone is familiar with the area and can fill me in on the beer scene. Good bars, shops etc.
    I'm kind of winging it. I've never been to Pueblo...or Colorado for that matter

2. DividedAvery

DividedAvery Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Colorado

Big Bear is the best shop down there. Shamrock Brewing is okay and has decent cheap Irish food as well. It's pretty barren down there. Recently it's been getting better but Pueblo is still...Pueblo

FarmerTed and SFACRKnight like this.
  3. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Keep your fingers crossed that Shamrock and Oskar Blues continue to brew and can their collab Death By Coconut, that shit is great! Otherwise ironically great Mexican and Italian food in Pueblo as well as the rodeo hall of fame!! Other than that not much for craft beer, Shamrock is your best bet and really not a bad place. Otherwise about 30-40 minutes North is Colorado Springs.

4. choicegrinds

Appreciate the replies. Basically just threw a dart and hit pueblo. Cost of living is too much in nj. I am excited because I've heard more than once that colorado is a craft beer mecca

SalukiAlum likes this.
  5. Steve_0

Steve_0 Initiate (195) Mar 14, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Grew up in Pueblo and have to say its not a terrible place to be, although craft beer could be better. Over the past year or so there has been a lot of improvement and it will continue to get better. As mentioned above the Shamrock is pretty good and the food is delicious. Their standards aren't the best, but they do big porters/stouts well and occasionally DIPAs. They also carry guest taps now. Last time I was in their they had Chasin Freshies and Ninkasi Oatis on tap.

Walter's just opened up within the last 6 months and although nothing is incredibly exciting they do lagers well. I didn't have any off flavors and their Bock was pretty enjoyable. No food, but you are welcome to bring in whatever you like and there are plenty of options in the downtown area.

Not open yet, but Brues Alehouse should be an awesome addition to the craft beer scene and just the town in general. It will be a restaurant, music venue, bakery, coffee shop, and brewery. I personally know the family starting it and have hopes for the additions. Here is the website: http://bruesalehouse.com/ and they should be opening in later Spring or Early Summer. It is right on the Riverwalk so hanging out on the patio/balcony space will be great during the Summer as it often hits triple digits down there. Also, all three breweries are within 3-5 minutes of each other so it is easy to walk to them or ride a bike.

Big Bear is the best place for craft beer. They have a mix six selection, a big walk-in cooler and plenty of six packs to choose from. Nice liquor and wine selection, as well as, an attentive staff. They will order kegs for you if you need it too.

Other notes. Pueblo has an awesome reservoir so try and utilize that as often as possible during the summer. Check out the Riverwalk area, eat mexican food, eat italian food and enjoy how cheap everything is down there. The Pantry is a Pueblo Staple for breakfast and comfort food. Jorge's and the Cactus Flower are town favorites for Mexican food. A Pass Key sausage sandwich is a a must, as is, a Slopper at Coors Tavern. There are a few festivals down there now and they continue to grow each year. Like I said, its not the greatest for craft beer, but it could be a lot worse. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or want more information.

Cheers!

6. choicegrinds

I wish i could like this twice

7. omgeezo

omgeezo Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Colorado

Step 1: don't move to Pueblo

8. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,956) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

Not sure what you are looking for in a location, but Pueblo isn't exactly a destination spot or any kind of social hub. Its kinda like moving to Pennsylania and choosing Punxsatawney. Plus, coming from Jersey any where in Colorado should be relatively affordable in comparison.

9. choicegrinds

I kind of like that though. I can't really explain why Pueblo but i've been looking into it for quite a while now. I want to get away from the whole Jersey thing. My only real concern is the reports of crime in Pueblo but it seems like it could definitely be worse. Besides, nj has Camden, newark, patterson and a 100 other places you don't want to be when the sun goes down

10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,812) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I grew up in Springs, and would like to echo that Pueblo, while being an okay town, isn't a destination spot in CO, hence it's poor economic recovery. I would put my money on Colo Spgs before Pueblo as far as beer goes. But then you also have the political climate of springs to deal with... :rolling_eyes:

saxlover, russpowell and ASak10 like this.
  11. choicegrinds

The beer scene isn't exactly spectacular in nj either. A little driving is no big deal either. Colorado Springs definitely looks pretty decent. Right now the insanely cheap rent is attracting us to pueblo. We want to start slow and work our way up.

I do want to thank everyone again for the replies and being helpful

12. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,686) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

The Springs has blossomed a lot as a beer destination, and you can always use it as a gateway into the mountain areas like Buena Vista and Salida. Pueblo might not be a great (or even good) beer town but you aren't that far from some places that are.

choicegrinds and alexipa like this.
  13. timontheroad

timontheroad Crusader (764) May 9, 2011 Colorado

If you're looking at cheap rent, try to stay away from the east side of Pueblo, the crime rate is pretty crappy over there. Ditto on the Shamrock recommendation, their one-off brews can be great to outstanding. Big Bear is the place to for buying brews as well.

choicegrinds likes this.
  14. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,696) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Yeah I was going say when I lived up in CO Springs, it was only one part of town that seem to have a real bad reputation. If would much rather live closer to Buena Vista or Salida all things being equal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.