MPLS Black Friday/BCBS

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by MplsNick, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BierVogel

BierVogel Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2012 Minnesota

Anyone see any Regal still sitting around? Based on the posts above, I can't believe Rare is still out there - would love a lead if anyone has one.

I'm still only finding regular and the occasional BW. I must be the only person who's not a fan of Coffee, but would love to track down some Regal. Any help?

#241 BierVogel, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. Umdrunner

Umdrunner Aspirant (227) Oct 27, 2015 Wisconsin

Stopped in to Spirit Seller in Hudson and they had multiple bottles of Regular and BW, 2 bottle limit, but they offered 2 of each if I wanted. $13.99.

Josholson666 likes this.
  3. Odyssey300

Odyssey300 Initiate (130) Dec 11, 2013 Minnesota

I think as a customer honesty and some candidness goes along way. In addition to SLL 1st Grand Liquor is another shop that handles all these special releases exceptionally well and I will go out of my way to shop there. I arrived at 9:05 and they were already sold out of everything but he was very thoughtful and personable about it. They always have great attitudes and are honest about when they are getting something and how much they got of it. They have low prices and generous with the limits which I'm great with even when It means I miss out like I did with this release. I would think this has to be less stressful on the employees and the store than lying.

mrpeterandthepuffers likes this.
  4. Beer-vortex

Beer-vortex Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2015 Minnesota

Here's another positive story...

Liquor store gets their allotment of BCBS. They open to a line of customers. They are quickly sold out, as usual.

Regular customer shows up a few days later, just to get his usual craft beer. The store employee tells him he saved him something; it was the last bottle of BCBS. The regular customer was totally unaware of the release, and never asked for them to do that. The store employee (and manager) felt it might be something he would like.

The regular customer was a co-worker of mine. He told me about it today.

So, exceptional customer service is happening out there...keep cultivating those relationships...

5. macgroveguy

macgroveguy Initiate (51) Jan 22, 2015 Minnesota

$11.99 limit 1 Scott's in Saint Paul. About half a case left

6. TEdubbaD

TEdubbaD Aspirant (291) Oct 31, 2013 Minnesota

I have been fortunate enough to have the same type of experience at a small store that I frequent for numerous hard to get releases. If you are able to develop a relationship at a particular retailer by being a regular and loyal customer it can pay dividends. Sure beats the hell out of chasing around town in pursuit of limited releases.

JMN44, Waskman and Beer-vortex like this.
  7. mypenguin

mypenguin Initiate (108) Jul 21, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

Cases of regular all over Rochester still. $9.99 - $10.99.

Ish1 likes this.
  8. Downing1More

Downing1More Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 Minnesota

looking to snag a rare or Coffee, if anyone could point me in the right direction, I could toss a pliny the elder your way!

9. Josholson666

Josholson666 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 Minnesota

Good luck is all I can say this point. I would heavily doubt any store within 50 miles of the twin cities has coffee or rare left, though I could be wrong.

mrpeterandthepuffers likes this.
  10. nograz

nograz Disciple (390) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Hi-Way Liqours in Monticello has at least 3 regular BCBS up front on the counter, $11.99. They also have some previous year BW, didn't check the year but they had a few.

11. jera1350

jera1350 Poo-Bah (2,558) Dec 15, 2007 Minnesota
    Society

People interested in the items below may want to check out Beer Geek Xmas at Heritage this week!

[​IMG]

12. Josholson666

You're releasing the BC stuff in the morning right? Is so, afraid I won't get my hands on any of that.

13. SasquatchB2

SasquatchB2 Initiate (79) Jan 12, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Is that first come first serve or a lottery?

14. jera1350

jera1350 Poo-Bah (2,558) Dec 15, 2007 Minnesota
    Society

I do not work for them, so not sure how they've handled it in the past.

Josholson666 likes this.
  15. Josholson666

16. tobin999

tobin999 Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Minnesota

I just want to try four again. To see if it held up.

17. MattyG85

MattyG85 Poo-Bah (3,402) Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

I went to the last Beer Geek event and it was pretty much a free for all when they opened but it was still orderly. The rare stuff was hidden around the store like a scavenger hunt. Last time they had two openings, one morning and one evening. Just says 8am-8pm on the ad this time. Is everything being released at 8am this time?

18. EddieB23

EddieB23 Initiate (112) Nov 26, 2008 Minnesota

Things will be changed up a little bit this year, I am still working out all the details and some last minute deals, they will be posted on www.beergeekchristmas.com as I figure them out. 90% of everything that is available in the AM, is also available in the PM, just in smaller quantities, everything will be laid out as clearly as possible on the site so everyone knows exactly when and how things are happening.

19. Josholson666

Central liquors has more bcbs right now. One per.

20. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (8,481) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Had some at darkness day and it is tasting mighty fine.

21. sevenzig

sevenzig Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2015 Minnesota

So has the line started already to get that OG Rare?

22. OrionsHunt

OrionsHunt Initiate (182) Jul 17, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Not in the OG box, so pass for me.

SipIt likes this.
  23. mingo

mingo Aspirant (203) Mar 24, 2013 Arizona

per Facebook, it has.

24. Josholson666

Better weather than the black friday SLL release.

25. mypenguin

mypenguin Initiate (108) Jul 21, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

I just picked up 5 more regulars last night in Rochester. $9.99 each. They still had around 4 cases left. Bringing these up to Minneapolis for a buddy who missed out.

26. Beer-vortex

Beer-vortex Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2015 Minnesota

I had that positive story to report earlier in this thread. Now a negative one...

I spoke to a long-time client of mine today, who told me that the owner of their company (which has nothing to do with beer or alcohol products whatsoever), chased trucks to purchase BCBS, just to sell them on the Internet (eBay) at $40 a pop. They got 2 cases or more.

Said owner is not at all interested in craft beer, in fact, they tried one, totally hated it (likely used to Budweiser), drain-poured it, and was mad that by trying it, it cost them a $40 sale.

I don't see getting BCBS getting any easier in 2016...

27. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (355) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Yes kind of discouraging when you are competing with BMC drinking dudes.
    With all the Bourbon County available this year you wouldn't think he would be getting to many takers at 40 a pop.

28. tgates

tgates Disciple (382) Aug 3, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Assuming none of this is still hanging around?

29. Surlyguy81

Surlyguy81 Initiate (40) Oct 4, 2013 Minnesota

I haven't been to all of the stores around town but the 3-4 that I frequent sold their remaining bottles last week.

tgates likes this.
  30. Overrated77

Overrated77 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2015 Minnesota

There's an article in the Chicago Tribune about how Goose Island is offering refunds for several of its 2015 beers because of weird taste profiles. It names Coffee and BW, but the article is otherwise vague. Interesting stuff.

Anyone else experiencing bad beer?

31. mingo

opened two coffees recently, both off tasting. one gushed out of the bottle. had a barleywine as well, but that seemed fine.

board-wide discussion and GI's announcement:

http://www.gooseisland.com/blog?id=post_11

http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...unty-coffee-bourbon-county-barleywine.374030/

Overrated77 likes this.
  32. malichi

malichi Initiate (64) May 3, 2012 Minnesota

The Coffee I had was infected, but the BW I had with a friend wasn't. That same friend did have another BW and had to drain pour.

33. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,936) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Coffee has been fine, although the coffee was on the bitter side , while the BW ive had has had a sweet cherry taste with very little BA.

34. will1256

will1256 Disciple (332) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

That's been my experience with coffee as well. OK, but weirdly astringent on the finish.

35. CraigP83

CraigP83 Defender (622) Dec 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Drank a BW last night, no barrel presence and candied tart cherry/raspberry. Drank a coffee this morning and it was amazing

36. mingo

what was the timestamp on the coffee?

MNBeerGeek likes this.
  37. will1256

will1256 Disciple (332) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Opened Two coffees tonight and both off. Both have a tart green apple finish though one was noticeably better than the other.

38. Josholson666

So far I've had one really bad coffee and two ok ones, and two really bad BW's and one great one.

39. Nivek43

Nivek43 Initiate (101) Mar 22, 2012 Minnesota

Been lucky, opened two coffees and they were great. Have yet to try a BW...

40. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (8,481) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Just a tip, coffee on tap is a whole different beer. Don't pass that up if you get a chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.