Mr beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Frank1955, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Frank1955

Frank1955 Initiate (110) Apr 17, 2017 Ontario (Canada)

Can i use other malt extracts in mr beer machine? And what size of can can i use.

2. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (2,877) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Absolutely no idea how to answer your question, but welcome to BA, Frank!

Frank1955 likes this.
  3. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,865) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Supporter Subscriber

Welcome to the BA site, Frank1955. I have not used any Mr Beer kits to know the answer to your question, but Mr. Beer questions do come up occasionally in the Homebrewing forum. Jump on over there https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/forums/homebrewing.8/ and pose your question and see what kind of conversation you get.

dcotom likes this.
  4. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,326) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Welcome aboard! As @Mothergoose03 advises, the Homebrewing forum is where you'll find an answer to your question. Meanwhile, there is an old discussion on the topic here.
    Cheers, and good luck!

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  5. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,865) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Supporter Subscriber

How'd you find the thread for the link in your post? I did a search and came up with nothing? :astonished:

dcotom likes this.
  6. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,326) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I googled the OP's question verbatim. The BA link came up in the first page of results.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  7. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,152) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Welcome to BA! I don't know anything about the mr beer, I'd go to the homebrewing forum.

8. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,074) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Sung to the tune of Mr Plow, "Mr Beer, that's my name. That name again is Mr Beer." Welcome to BA, OP. Cheers!

SFACRKnight likes this.
  9. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Meyvn (1,358) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Welcome and Cheers from CT!

10. phideltashaggy

phideltashaggy Aspirant (251) Jul 3, 2010 Tennessee

Welcome. I actually got started in this hobby with Mr. Beer and used the keg for a few years. You may find the trick now is in making your own extract recipes or finding recipe people have put together and fermenting them in your Mr. Keg. https://www.brewersfriend.com/ is a great tool for creating recipes or changing a recipe you find to meet your equipment needs and limitations.

Long story short, yes, you can use any sort of extract in your Mr. Beer. I actually have been thinking lately about how I wish I kept my keg for small batches. But I will say the ingredients and extracts from Mr. Beer leave a lot to be desired, so by making a few tweaks, you can make great homebrewed beer with Mr. Beer.

Also, definitely check out the forums on homebrewtalk's website. I'm pretty sure they have recipes with the Mr. Beer sized batches in mind, as well as a separate Mr. Beer forum or sub forum.

Good luck, cheers, and you're going to love this hobby.

11. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Initiate (196) Nov 6, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I brewed for a couple of years with the Mr. Beer fermenter. I never used the extract kits they provide except for the two that came with the fermenter itself.

My local homebrew store had a big book of their own designed recipes with extract and minimash versions. For the two years I used the Mr. Beer kit I just halved their 5 gallon recipes and went with it.

The beers were slightly stronger than the recipe was created for but they all turned out just fine.

If you want there are plenty of 5 gallon recipes and you can just divide the ingredient list in half to where they would be for 2.5 gallons but just brew it to 2 gallons to fit in your fermenter or you can divide the ingredients by 2.5 and you will have very close to a perfect recipe for the 2 gallon fermenter.

For example: If a Pale Ale recipe calls for 6 pounds of dry malt extract (DME) you can divide 6 by 2.5 and use 2.4 pounds of DME to get the same beer out of the Mr. Beer fermenter. Or you can just use 3 pounds of DME and get a stronger beer.
    Looking at Beersmith 6lbs of DME could yield a 5.15% ABV beer but if you use 3lbs in Mr. Beer it'll be around 6.5%.

dcotom likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,005) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

The Basic Brewing folks constructed a video with their suggestions for brewing with Mr. Beer:

LeRose, dcotom and Roadkizzle like this.
  13. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (48) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

I usually have much better luck using Google to search the BA forums than using the built-in BA search box.

14. Junkforadam

Junkforadam Aspirant (245) Jan 12, 2015 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

I started brewing with Mr Beer extracts. It's simply a vessel in which to ferment wort. I brew all grain 5 gallon batches now. The last time I used Mr Beer keg was about 4 months ago to ferment a second runnings pale ale.
    Try using the beer smith app, you can load recipes for Mr Beer and also create 1 gallons n recipes.
    Northern Brewer sells 1 gallon kits that can be done in the Mr Beer keg/fermentor.

15. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,204) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I actually bought 2 of them on Craigslist for use in small batches.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.