MSP Airport

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by jkn09, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

I've got a 3 hour layover in MSP tomorrow. Any good spots for a brew or is it pretty standard airport fare (BMC + Sam Adams, etc)?

2. jsdavis422

jsdavis422 Initiate (177) May 15, 2012 Minnesota

Been a bit since I have been at the airport, but Ike's used to always have Surly Furious on tap.... that's about as good as it gets at the airport from what I remember.

3. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Aspirant (215) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota

Some of the restaurants in concourse G have a decent selection (Mimosa and/or Minibar). There's also a store called Local Brew in the same concourse that has awesome MN breweriana. They redid that whole area with iPads and fancy seating and stuff. Real nice place to hang out...

Mnmaverick and TboneRN like this.
  4. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,197) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Ikes
    Axel's Bonfire
    Rock Bottom

Should be able to get Surly Summit GI SN also poster above me mentioned Localbrew a nice swag shop if you are interested in that

5. MCImes

MCImes Disciple (307) Dec 31, 2010 Connecticut

I think I was at the place Ol Johnny mentions. It was pretty nice and had a decent selection, although I paid $9 for a 16oz can of SN Torpedo which I had to take a shower and go to extensive therapy to get past.Furious and others were similarly priced.

Alternately, a can of Heineken was only $6 on the plane! How the F is beer cheaper on a PLANE than on the ground!?!? (Note to self, drink more on planes)

Anyways its a good bar if you're ok with consensual price rape.

6. billhelm

billhelm Aspirant (274) Feb 9, 2011 Minnesota

I think Surdyk's Flights has a few options on tap and possible some items to buy and carry on, but I haven't been there in a while.

7. nogophers

nogophers Aspirant (219) Jun 28, 2011 Minnesota

Rock Bottom is there but all of their beer comes from their CO location. A few places have Surly taps. Syrdyks has some decent cans and bottles. Ike's in main concourse has an okay selection. Ike's on Grand (F) has 6-7 Summit taps and is my favorite place to hang before a flight.

8. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Awesome. I can get Summit, SN, GI in Texas so I may seek out some Surly. Thanks for the help, peeps

9. Soloveitchik

Soloveitchik Disciple (336) Feb 7, 2013 New York

Surly (5-6 types including bender and abrasive) is available in the cooler of the pizza restaurant that is next to the localbrew store. 8$/can. Only problem is that they won't let you take the cans to go.

10. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (335) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Great call on Ike's on Summit (not Grand). Best Summit tap selection at MSP from what I saw. Food was good too.

11. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,104) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I'd love to know why you can buy a bottle of wine at MSP to go, but not beer.

12. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Aspirant (215) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota

I blame French lobbyists

13. 12tb

12tb Initiate (144) May 18, 2011 Iowa

There's a terminal that has iPads at every seat in the terminal (yes, the entire terminal) where you can order from the bar, then use the iPad to surf the internet or watch shows/movies for free. Can't remember the terminal. Last time I was there, they had Bourbon County on tap--couldn't believe it. Anyone know what that terminal is and if they regularly have good beers like that?

14. doner24

doner24 Initiate (99) Apr 16, 2013 Minnesota

That's in the G terminal and no, they don't always have such great beers. Usually one decent option though. Also, you HAVE to use the iPad to order and it's annoying.

15. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,104) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

My dad had Darkness at MSP airport last fall. Blew my mind.

16. treznor

treznor Zealot (559) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Yep, probably at the same place others are mentioning in concourse G. That's the first place I had Darkness last year as well.

17. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,197) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Beer for some reason is not worthy ..IMO they are missing the boat on this one

18. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (245) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

#ThanksObama

steorn likes this.
  19. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (520) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Fucking Obama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.