Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

msp taproom opinions

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by ben4bier, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ben4bier

I am hoping to lineup a little taproom tour in the greater Minneapolis area this spring and need to decide which places to hit and which to skip. So far I've been to Harriet, Fulton and pour decisions as taprooms and steel toe before they opened theirs. If I could get some feedback on the local taproom scene it would help me greatly.

2. jera1350

Indeed, Dangerous Man and 612 are all a very short distance from each other and would be easy to hit. I haven't been to 612, but enjoyed the other two, especially Indeed.

3. zeledonia

Beer Trader

Indeed has much more of a brewpub vibe than a taproom vibe. Tables, bar, and such. And a very nice place, IMO.

Pour Decisions and Harriet, as the OP knows based on his post, are more like drinking in the tank-room of a brewery. Last time I was at Harriet, they still only had card tables as a barrier between the taproom area and the brewery area. Pour Decisions a little more developed, but you're still sitting there looking at the fermentation tanks.

So many of these places popping up, and I haven't been to half of them. Need to carve out some time to visit more of them (esp. Steel Toe, Dangerous Man, and 612).

4. Torgo

Hit Indeed and Dangerous Man (if you've never been).

Both of them have their qualities, both are well laid out with an ample amount of spacing. Indeed seems to have rotating infusions pretty regularly and different food trucks rolling in. Dangerous Man has a big plus in my book for allowing you to bring in your own food, so go up to Anchor Fish and Chips and carry in some stellar food and have a few pints there.

XmnwildX12 likes this.
  5. minnesotaryan

pretty sure all of the tap rooms will allow you to bring food in. I would say hit the northeast ones for sure, steel toe is also great.

6. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Beer Trader

The Herkimer isn't a taproom, but definitely worth visiting!

7. ben4bier

I really enjoyed Harriet's taproom, I like the seamless way the indoor seating area blends with the patio when the doors are open. ,kind of a hipster vibe but that seems to come with the territory. Plus at the time IMO they had the most interesting beers, their pilsner was fantastic light summer beer and woden weizen is the best hefe I've had (or the freshest same difference).

Fulton has that terribly typical lineup of a blonde ipa amber and dark, and their taproom is ok but nothing really jumped out at me that had me saying"I can't wait to come back here." Steel toe has the same type or standard line up, they just seem to do better at it.

Pour decisions was almost a hardcore beer geek vibe. Even the location seems to be hidden to prevent the casual visitor from accidentally wandering in. Being a beer geek I really enjoyed it there and the strange variety of beers they had, but not really a place that I would take non hardcore friends to

8. feloniousmonk

There is now a fence separating the brewery proper and the taproom. And what's wrong with looking at brewing tanks? That's part of the appeal of a brewery taproom.

9. ben4bier

The herkimer must be the most polarizing place in the cities. I've only heard people say that they love out they nobody seems to be in between. You must be recommending it based on the vibe, or is the beer better than many people say.

10. StarRanger

11. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Beer Trader

It's an overall recommendation. I've always thought they made good beer and they have a good rotation, although like any place there have been a few brews I didn't care for. On top of that, the food is great and the atmosphere is nice when it's not completely packed. Maybe it could be your lunch/dinner stop since most taprooms don't serve food. If you don't like the beer while you're there, make it quick meal and go adventure elsewhere!

12. zeledonia

Beer Trader

That's what I get for posting while a bit buzzed. What I meant to say, and what I actually wrote, were pretty far apart.

I really like the Harriet taproom, and I totally agree that looking at brewing tanks is part of the appeal. What I meant to communicate to the OP is that Indeed doesn't feel like a taproom to me (more like a beer bar), and Harriet and Pour Decisions do.

13. ben4bier

Where does it rank on the list of local brewpubs? I war kind of thinking of doing that with northbound , I haven't been there yet, how what do the twin cities BA's think of them?

14. KarlHungus

Beer Trader

Northbound is comparable to Town Hall in terms of beer quality, and has much better food.

15. dc55110

Beer Trader

That is a bold statement, especially the first part. I haven't been yet, but now it sounds like I need to get over to Northbound ASAP... Or is that Northgate?

DaveAnderson and minnesotaryan like this.
  16. jera1350

I respectfully disagree in regards to beer.

dizztracted and XmnwildX12 like this.
  17. pmccallum86

I am extremely skeptical of your statement, but perhaps I'll get over there is weekend and see for myself.

KarlHungus likes this.
  18. biglobo8971

Beer Trader

I am skeptical on your skepticism.

19. herman77

Just went to Northbound for the second time on Saturday. Food was great just like the first time. All they had on tap for their beer was the honey wheat and their porter. The honey wheat is decent, the porter is pretty bomb. Had hot box on tap as well. It's pretty good, though it was getting pretty spicy near the end. Still I think Town Hall has better beer and that Flatbread Taco (pork) at TH is tuff to beat.

sacrelicio likes this.
  20. sacrelicio

Northbound makes great beer. The IPA and amber are both big and flavorful, porter is nice, the Snow series were all nice. They're the sleeper brewery of the moment.

Other taprooms that I really like are Steel Toe (Lunker on tap a few weeks ago), Harriet, and Dangerous Man. 612 has a nice space but the beers all had off flavors.

KarlHungus likes this.
  21. KarlHungus

Beer Trader

Do it man.

22. maximum12

Beer Trader

I'd vehemently disagree in regards to their beer. Their porter is really good, but haven't had anything else that rises about the level of "OK". While Town Hall has 4-8 good-to-great beer on...every...single...day.

I mean, I understand different tastes & all, but it's not close.

I haven't eaten at Northbound, but I've heard it's good from close friends & my wife. And now that Town Hall has banished fish-n-chips from their menu, they're vulnerable.

ben4bier likes this.
  23. minnesotaryan

the porter, snownami and the colab with indeed are fantastic, the rest of their beers are pretty okay. I don't think they are quite comparable yet... but I think in time, they will prove to be more comparable.

their food is phenomenal though.

24. ben4bier

I almost cried when I saw no fish and chips on the menu last time I ate there. Townhall will probably set the standard for fit the foreseeable future, but I feel like they've gotten a little lazy with their seasonal taps. I only make it there a few times a year and somehow every time I go mango mama and 1800 (?) Ipa are two of their seasonally. Both are fine but it seemed like they had much more diverse offering 5 years ago or so.

25. ben4bier

What dish do you recommend?

26. XmnwildX12

Beer Trader

Smoked Beef and Smoked Porketta are both bretty bad ass, french fries are pretty good as well. The onion rings taste like mini doughnuts in a very outstanding way.

I should really get down there to pair it with one of my new favorite beers, Hot Box!

KarlHungus likes this.
  27. Verbl

Smoked Egg Salad!!!

28. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Beer Trader

I hate to be mom, but what is your mode of transportation on this tour? Because if you're hitting place after place getting shittier and shittier, you may want to keep your radius smaller to avoid annoyed DD/cab fares/the po-lice. Northeast has probably the highest concentration of taprooms and you could get to Town Hall without much trouble.

29. ben4bier

My wonderful pregnant wife will be driving so I will be good that way. I am overly paranoid about driving after more than two beers, so I wouldn't even think of doing this without transportation lined up.

I've been hearing allot about the Minneapolis taprooms, had anyone been to summit out flat earth? And does boom island do onsite sales now?

30. ben4bier

31. incutrav

Does Flat Earth serve pints? I would guess as it looks like the have food trucks a times.

If they truly do, they do the worst job ever of advertising it.

32. dc55110

Beer Trader

There are a lot of things they do not excel at, over at Flat Earth.

33. Bildo

if it was up to me id start at fulton, then dangerous man, 612 then indeed.

herman77 likes this.
  34. ben4bier

you implying that brewing beer it's also on the list?

I've generally thought their beer was generally pretty good but out seldom leaving me feeling like I really want to revisit it. They aren't doing themselves any favors by using bombers because I don't like them enough to drink 22oz by myself in one sitting. Although I do really like the Belgian pale ale

35. dc55110

Beer Trader

While they do have a few decent offerings, due to their relatively low profile and the fact they use 22oz bottles, their beer at most retail locations is no where near fresh.

36. incutrav

I would agree. The tap presence in the twin cities appears to be quite minimal as well. With starting in '07, they had a big head start on this whole 'craft beer boom', but I would say they have failed to capitalize on it. Way to many other better local offernings now.

I would guess sales would improve once they move to cans(if they actually do), rather then bombers.

37. ben4bier

To say they had a head start might be giving them a little strong of an advantage. The presence of craft beers it's much better now than in 07. They may have had less competition for taps but they were competing over a fraction of the taps. Not to mention they were competing with the most successful startup brewery the state had seen in 20 years. That being said they don't seem brew that draws people to their product. It's all safe and not particularly exciting, the Chevy lumina of beer

38. Douggo

Since we're talking Flat Earth, I'll add that I don't think their labels do a good job of telling me what's inside, or even who brewed the product, unless I get right up next to the bottle, which I'm unlikely to do. Maybe I'm ADHD or something, but their labels don't grab me at all, which means I'm not drinking their beers unless you guys tell me they're awesome.

39. mjryan

Flat Earth was competing with Indeed?

ben4bier likes this.
  40. ben4bier

Indeed was the most successful startup brewery in six months.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe