MVB Batch 2!

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by porter0209, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porter0209

porter0209 Aspirant (285) Mar 22, 2008 Texas
    Trader

Releasing this weekend.

[​IMG]

We will be releasing our second ever blend of Montmorency vs Balaton when our tasting room opens at 4pm on Friday, March 20th. It will be available by the glass and to go in 500ml bottles ($16, limit 1 per customer per day). Approximately 3,000 bottles are available. Aside from special events, Montmorency vs Balaton blend 2 will only be available at our tasting room.

Like the first blend, Montmorency vs Balaton blend 2 was brewed with Texas Hill Country well water, malted barley, malted wheat, raw wheat, and hops. It was fermented in neutral oak barrels with Jester King’s unique mixed culture of brewer’s yeast and native yeast and bacteria harvested from the air and wildflowers around our brewery. It was then refermented with Montmorency and Balaton cherries from Michigan. Blend 2 is 6.7% alcohol by volume, 3.36 pH, 10 IBU, and has a finishing gravity of 1.005 (1.3 degrees Plato). We have already begun a second refermentation of the cherries from Montmorency vs Balaton blend 2 to make our second batch of Detritivore.

2. mph005

mph005 Initiate (170) Nov 25, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Where's my fainting chair!

WTKeene likes this.
  3. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Devotee (405) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Im already in line

4. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (501) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

This is the one beer I will wait in 3 hour lines for. Luckily, it looks like a shitty weather rainy weekend, which will help with lines.

And with SXSW going on, who knows what happens.

5. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (187) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Same here, I'll be heading up Saturday morning for a quick day trip. Gonna be awesome!!

6. Jovial_Libations

Jovial_Libations Initiate (194) Jan 30, 2015 Texas

How fast do you guys think they'll go thru the 3,000 bottles? I won't be able to make it till probably Saturday at the earliest.

7. mph005

Trader

Let the betting begin. I'm saying late Sunday.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  8. saint0r

saint0r Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 Texas

ISO: Mules

Nightwish1094 and tx_beer_man like this.
  9. PatrickInAustinTx

Trader

I think it will last till next weekend with limit 1 and 3000 bottles. I hope anyway.

10. porter0209

porter0209 Aspirant (285) Mar 22, 2008 Texas
    Trader

I think it makes it to next weekend as well. Going to try to do an up and back on Sunday

tx_beer_man likes this.
  11. aschwab

Friday of next weekend is my bet.

12. mgr78704

mgr78704 Defender (628) Oct 28, 2013 Texas
    Trader

No way this goes in one weekend...there's only so many people that go to Stanley's, right?

Abbbp, WTKeene, nsheehan and 7 others like this.
  13. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Aspirant (220) Jun 28, 2010 Texas

We chose a limit of one to try to make sure it stretches across at least two weekends. That way more people have a chance to buy it. My guess would be it sells out the third weekend (4/3 to 4/5). - Jeff

14. aaronyoung01

aaronyoung01 Crusader (710) Oct 1, 2012 New Mexico
    Trader

Irrenarzt and ONovoMexicano like this.
  15. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

You mean 1 case per person, right?

:wink:

Are you guys opening early on Friday @jesterkingbeer ? I seem to recall that you did last year during SXSW

16. aschwab

Doubtful based on their announcement.

17. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Meyvn (1,187) Oct 7, 2009 New York

I hope that's true. I had already planned a trip to JK on the 27th and I'll be super thrilled if I get some of this nectar.

18. djd07

djd07 Initiate (107) Oct 3, 2012 Texas
    Trader

How did @aschwab not break this story? Your F5 skills must be slipping!

19. aschwab

I had too much beer last night. I am not bringing my A-game right now.

20. PatrickInAustinTx

Trader

I hope they do!

21. Bluestar

Bluestar Aspirant (212) Mar 5, 2012 Texas

I'm gonna ask this question, and I don't mean it with any malice or bad feelings towards the brewery or their operations... I think your facility and grounds are amazing from the two times I got there... And I apologize if this has been brought up before (i'm guessing it has, but I don't see the conversation anywhere)... but.. i still want to ask..

Last time I made it to JK, I actually spoke to several people who live within a few miles of the brewery and were walking away with CASES of stuff... when I asked them about it, casually (they were all really nice and happy to chat), a bunch of them said they come everyday that it's open when there's something special available and pick up their bottles and head home... so basically it sounds like the the "1 per person per day" clause only really limits the people that live more than 30 miles away from the brewery, and allows those nearby to hoard the hell out of this stuff...

I know that there is no real way to address this from the brewery's standpoint, but it would seem that it would get the beer into the hands into a lot more people if it was truly 1 per customer, instead of 1 per customer per day.... or even distributing the stuff a little wider than just the brewery...

Anyway... please done flame me too hard for this, was just asking out of curiosity: If part of the intent is to get the bottles into the hands of as many people as possible, why not distribute some of it (at an increased price above the brewery price) and truly reach some more people instead of allowing locals to gobble all this stuff up? I know I'd pay $20 or maybe even as much as $25 if a bottle would make it as far as Houston for me...

22. aschwab

Basically, if you are willing to go to the brewery, you get beer. If you start distributing, then you have the same issue of people following vans around and buying all of them. Why should someone in Houston have just as much access to JK as someone in Austin?

I do not get beer from a bunch of DFW breweries, Houston breweries, etc. There is no easy way for me to access it. But, I do not live in those cities.

It seems like 95% of the people who have an issue with the way they release the bottles are people who drive in from out of town. But, they are failing to see that the people that do go to the brewery every day are the people who they are catering to more so. The people that actually go out there every weekend, always hang out, grab beers, etc. If they limit to one bottle/person, then you will end up with a situation where the only people who now benefit from it are the people who only go to the brewery from out of town for releases and not every weekend.

Yes, I do go out there more than once a weekend, and bring my wife, and we buy out all of our allotment. Yes, I end up with more than 4 bottles in the end. Why? Because the beer is damn delicious.

There are advantages to living close to a brewery. This is one of them. It won't ever be fair for everyone, so you might as well help the people who go there all the time.

Ford, Theortiz01, zonker17 and 8 others like this.
  23. AdamR46

AdamR46 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 Texas

Have you seen the entire bottle list or do you think people only buy the fruited stuff? I've been a volunteer for a while and I'm very familiar with the crew. The limit still applies to me and all the other regulars that buy bottles. Jester King is pretty much a bottle shop now, it's amazing what they get in through distro.

24. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (305) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

If you don't only buy the fruited sours to trade for whalez you're doing it wrong. The only good beer is rare beer.

25. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Texas

Regulars don't get larger allocations of limited bottles than anyone else. Hell, even employees are subject to limits.

Source: I'm a regular.

zonker17, nsheehan and saint0r like this.
  26. mph005

Trader

I believe it's about bringing people to the brewery, making it the attraction, and put the focus on their "sense of place". Jeff has said a few times the goal is to have a fruited sour available all the time, but they are just too popular for that to happen with the current output, even with 1 per.

I just don't see them caring if people got enough bottles to take home, but rather caring if they had a good time while they were there.

I'm not sure if you were trying to imply that those locals get around the limit's by being friendly locals, but that's not true at all. I've tried.

WTKeene, nsheehan and starkmarvelo like this.
  27. aschwab

Can confirm. He is always out there when I am.

28. Bluestar

Bluestar Aspirant (212) Mar 5, 2012 Texas

Yes, I know they are not getting anymore of the allotment than anyone else (i.e. if it's one fruited sour per person, they only get one)... I am not implying anyone is doing anything wrong... I was just asking a question for the sake of discussion.

and yes, I was completely amazed by their bottle list last time out. I understand that was why people were walking away with cases... I got to talk to a few "locals" as a couple of them were sitting off to the side somewhere, with their boxes, having a glass before they left to go home and attend to stuff...

To be clear: I don't have an issue with their practices - I was just asking a question. Their practices make complete sense to me from a business perspective. I am a little jealous that, say, I can't have the same relationship with karbach (uber close to my house) as y'all in Austin have with JK, but thus is life, and the differences in the business structure and laws in the state and how they effect the different business structure.

that being said, it does not make a lot of sense to me when you say you want to "give as many people as possible the chance to buy" and have a structure that favors people who live super close to the brewery. But you're also right that distro-ing it only invites the "truck chasers" to hoard it... so their is no ultimate fix...

hopefully I'll have a weekend to come out again soon and go their again!

29. GoPokes

GoPokes Initiate (94) Nov 9, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I get that some people go every day JK is open when they have a fruited sour available, but then I don't understand your anecdote about cases. If you're saying that these people are adhering to the daily limit, but that they are coming everyday, why would they have "cases?"

30. jesterkingbeer

No, regular hours.

nsheehan and kmello69 like this.
  31. aschwab

I am guessing more people actually get to try it when people buy multiple bottles than just 1 bottle/person. If people are able to get multiple bottles, they go out in trades. If they go out in trades, then people in other areas get to try it, likely at a bottle share.

If only one bottle went out per person, I am less likely to have it at a bottle share and just drink it myself.

So, you could easily argue that more people get to try it thanks to the current rules.

GwWhite and PatrickInAustinTx like this.
  32. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

Probably not cases of fruited sours, but stuff like Repose which had 4 bottle limits. It's beers like this that fill me with anxiety that I might not end up with a bottle. Aurelian was the same way. That one was tough to get a hold of for me :slight_frown:

33. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,740) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

I'll make it work regardless of what Jeff and the rest of the team decide. I'm hoping that at least Atrial will be a 2 bottle limit since it is the largest release

blue-dream likes this.
  34. jesterkingbeer

Regarding the limit of one per customer per day rather than only one per customer, I'd say the motivation is twofold. One, it would be very hard and/or time consuming for us to track everyone who has purchased a bottle over the course of multiple days or weeks. We struggle to do it over the course of just a single day. I suppose there maybe exists software that tracks credit card sales and alerts us to when a repeat customer comes through, but we'd honestly rather not have to deal with this, nor take down personal information when someone pays cash. Two, as @mph005 alluded to, we make no secret about the fact that we want to encourage people to come out to our brewery when we're open. I know there are people who come out on multiple days and only buy the one or two limited release beers and immediately leave. But there are also those who visit multiple days to hang out, have a few glasses onsite, maybe bring a friend who hasn't visited before, have a pizza at our neighbor Stanley's, or purchase whatever new guest beer, wine, or cider we didn't have the prior week. This is of course important to us from a revenue standpoint, but also because we want people to experience our beer in the physical setting that directly impacts its character. The mental association between place and the flavors/aromas in the beer can heighten the enjoyment in my experience. - Jeff

35. williamDbar

williamDbar Initiate (159) Jul 5, 2012 Ohio

Visiting for the first time this Saturday. Coming from Cleveland. My buddy, who just moved down to Dalls, booked a room in the Austin area, for the day, a couple days ago. We were planning on spending most of the day at Jester King. This is just a bonus!! Can't wait to try MvB on draft(if I read correctly) and/or get an opportunity to buy a bottle. Had batch one and it was amazing!! Cheers!

36. aschwab

You'll be able to do both. Good timing (minus it likely will be rainy).

williamDbar and starkmarvelo like this.
  37. aschwab

Atrial was a 2 bottle limit last time it was released.

tx_beer_man and starkmarvelo like this.
  38. williamDbar

williamDbar Initiate (159) Jul 5, 2012 Ohio

Yeah the rainy part is a bummer...but it's all good!

39. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,740) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Hence my statement hoping batch 5 will also be 2 bottles

40. mph005

Trader

Assuming they one day decide to implement a tracking system, and if the batch size is large enough, one idea is to offer 3 per weekend. You buy 3 on Friday, you're done. That should satisfy locals and visitors alike.

PatrickInAustinTx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.