My local Lowe’s Foods ...

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by nc41, Sep 3, 2020.

1. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,551) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

just became the best beer store in my area, it just passed places like Bestway in Gso and Sams in Durham.

They simply carry beers I could only get in Charlotte, beers, with multiple offerings of Resident Culture, NoDa, Wooden Robot, a slew of beers from Raleigh like Trophy Brewing. These beers right now have very small footprints and Tryon doesn’t distribute them here. It’s also the only local place to get Old Mecklenburg. All styles too , I saw a Kettle sour, multiple stouts, a ton of PA and IPAs. They also have a bar with 5-6 taps, maybe 15 seats plus multiple tables, and it’s right next to the deli, and they offer multiple wines as well. Simply the best selection of beers in my area, how they do it not a clue, but I’m guessing perhaps Lowe’s uses a private courier to do brewery pickups and distribute to their stores. That’s really the only way to get these beers in a small town between Greensboro and Durham Raleigh. Lowe’s is the equivalent to walking into your local Acme or Giant, plopping down and having a cold beer while you food shop or just wait for the wife to be done, and they have cup holders on their carts.

JimKal, lastmango, 7clutch and 6 others like this.
  2. nc41

Society Trader

Lol I don’t have my glasses I think I accidentally deleted the post.

3. Subcontrabass

Subcontrabass Initiate (65) Jun 21, 2014 North Carolina

Yeah, they have a dedicated a truck and driver to make pick-ups from self-distro breweries around the state to deliver to out-of-market stores. I have found, however, that the quality of the beer selection sometimes varies depending on each store's overall business and the folks running the beer department. There are some Lowes stores that are easily the best beer stores in their areas and others that are just okay.

4. oberon

oberon Poo-Bah (7,735) Feb 12, 2002 North Carolina
    Society Trader

The one in Oak Ridge is fantastic,32oz. growlers half off every Thursday.

ben4unc and dbrauneis like this.
  5. nc41

Society Trader

Add Heist brewery to the list, no idea how they’re doing this, outside of Charlotte they don’t exist, this beer is 12 days old.

Reef likes this.
  6. treznor

treznor Zealot (559) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Heist distros some outside of Charlotte, my town about an hour outside of Charlotte typically has Heist at our stores.

The Lowe's with the beer dens (which isn't all of them, but seems to be at least one per town) are definitely pretty decent. I don't go there all that often but that's mainly because there's two other beer stores in town (in a town of 40k people, love the choice!) that I know the owners at so prefer to support them. Does still feel a bit weird to be sitting in the middle of a grocery store drinking a beer!

nc41 likes this.
  7. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,237) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Heist is all over the good beer spots in Greensboro - Gate City, Beer Co, and Bestway.

nc41 likes this.
  8. nc41

Society Trader

I haven’t been to Bestway in awhile, they don’t carry OMB. But these Beer Dens are serious competition for smaller retailers, especially if you want to fit and have a beer or want a growler 1/2 price Thursdays.

9. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Not disagreeing on that aspect...but it does vary fairly significantly between Lowe’s locations and who is running the Beer Den.

treznor likes this.
  10. nc41

Society Trader

I wonder if they use a private courier? I talked to Roger last week he said Tryon doesn’t distribute those beers. I’m thinking they’re picking up at the breweries.

11. oberon

Society Trader

I would say 90% of the beers found in the Beer Dens at Lowe's are local NC crafts,incredible selection.If looking for more non-regional stuff I still say Bestway or even Total Wine are better places in GSO.If looking for some harder to find German stuff to get a growler filled or a pint to have I gotta give a shout out to the Brewer's Kettle in K-ville,always at least 4-5 German's on tap.

12. oberon

Society Trader

Agreed,I know of a few that are pretty lackluster...Not gonna name names though.

13. nc41

Society Trader

Wonder if the beer guy in Burlington is flying solo on these Charlotte beers? Wouldn’t make sense for a DM to have one van driving to Charlotte without buying enough to service multiple stores. But they have to be picking up at the breweries to get OMB and NoDa, Wooden Robot, Resident Culture, this was the first Heist I’ve seen Outside of crowlers at Gate City. But their quality in the last two months has sky rocketed.

14. oberon

Society Trader

I have seen Heist cans at Bestway,and GoofyFoot in High Point,I'am sure there are others,just know for a fact I have seen it there.

15. jstout26

jstout26 Initiate (172) May 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Heist, Trophy, NoDa, Edmunds Oast all started showing up here at the Lowe's with beer dens in Wilmington recently too. They also have have price drafts on Thursday which is about $2.50. Pretty sweet deal

16. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,085) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Is that New Garden? That area has blown up in a good retail way. Odd for me to say.

nc41 likes this.
  17. nc41

Society Trader

No, Burlington of all places, their bar is packed every night after work. Thursday it’s standing room only.

rgordon likes this.
  18. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,085) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Dang, that's a good sign Is New Garden upgrading similarly, or have they already? Last time I went I was impressed.

nc41 likes this.
  19. nc41

Society Trader

Someone is this district has a clue about beer. They’re getting beers that are not distributed locally here, so I’m assuming they’re using a private courier. Love Roger and Bestway, but my local Lowe’s has beers super fresh that he cannot get. I’m buying all my beer here in Burlington.

20. treznor

treznor Zealot (559) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Edmunds Oast hit distro a while back in NC (maybe 6 months or so? Might have been longer than that) in NC, so them showing up isn't surprising at all.

jstout26 and nc41 like this.
  21. nc41

Society Trader

Edmunds Oast has been at Bestway for quite awhile, I’d guess over a year. Love they’re beers they’re terrific and decently priced.

22. oberon

Society Trader

New Garden is getting pretty good,usually some good local NC stuff on tap.

nc41 and rgordon like this.
  23. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (160) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Heist is self distributing pretty much state wide at this point. They are dropping in Raleigh, Wilmington, Greensboro and Asheville almost every week.

ben4unc and nc41 like this.
  24. nc41

Society Trader

I like their beers, not much variety yet, but every beer I’ve had I liked.

25. nc41

Society Trader

That’s a great area too, makes sense they are a bit upscale. The one in Burlington is all out of proportion to Burlington, it’s right off Elon and there’s no competition that I know of, and their beer/wine bar is standing room only on Thurs, and it’s usually well attended on most days. Not all locations might not be set to these levels, but they might be keying in on certain ones.

26. nc41

Society Trader

I’m going to stand corrected here, the best beer store in the area in Gate City Growlers. They’re got everything any hop or sour head might want, within reason. Love you can buy singles that are fresh, and new to NC Bearded Iris in now in stock. Imo Resident Culture and Heist are as good as any IPAs being turned out from anyone anywhere , with lots of one offs, and always a bit different.

Reef likes this.
  27. nc41

Society Trader

Gate City offers some real advantages, like single beers that actually move so they’re fresh product, and you get variety. When I was there a few weeks ago the owner was just starting to put up Bearded Iris. The down side is price, I think they’re the highest priced beer guys Ive been too. They’ve also cut their taps to a few because of Covid to save beer. Honestly I don’t drink a lot of beer, and as long as I can get Heist or Resident Culture I’m good, funny enough they don’t have any Old Mecklenburg, come to think of it I haven’t seen any at the Beer Den either. Their Copper Alt is about an easy a drinking a beer as anyone could possibly make.

traction and lateralusbeer like this.
  28. ben4unc

ben4unc Initiate (185) Feb 28, 2013 North Carolina

You need to drive the short distance to Stella Brew in Winston Salem - you will be astonished at the selection and the difference in price when compared to GC. GC is probably to most expensive bottle shop in the state of NC.

nc41 likes this.
  29. nc41

Society Trader

Thanks for the tip. I was at Bestway this morning cans are over $2 cheaper per can over GC. All Heist, which I love , but GC I can get Resident Culture and Bearded Iris too. Never been to Stella, sounds like a trip next time we’re in Mt Airey, appreciate that.

30. ben4unc

Stella has RC, Heist, New Anthem, Burial and Bearded Iris! They also are one of the only ones to get Incendiary Brewing Cans. Have you tried Incendiary Brewery in Winston Salem? I know you would love their Ritual Pils and their Shift series IPA and Stouts are really good. They are the best brewery in the Triad and moving on up my brewery rankings for the state of NC.

31. traction

traction Defender (634) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

How much is Heist in NC? We just started seeing it recently down my way but singles with $7 to $8 each so I passed. Are they really that good? I've never tried any of their stuff and hadn't even heard of them until a couple months ago. For context a 4-pack of a Bearded Iris DIPA is like 17.99

32. ben4unc

Yes Heist is that GOOD!!! They kill hazy IPA's.
    At my fav bottle shop in Winson Salem, Heist single ipa's are $15-16 and double ipa's are $17-18 per 4 pack. Singles beers are $4.5 for single Ipa's and are $5-$6 for some doubles. My favorite Heist beers are Citraquential (7.1%)and UberQuential (8.2), Blurred is the Word (6.8)and Blurred up (8.4) and EMO-J (8.1)

[​IMG][​IMG]

#32 ben4unc, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    traction likes this.
  33. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Gate City has been getting cans from Incendiary as well recently.

ben4unc likes this.
  34. Subcontrabass

Subcontrabass Initiate (65) Jun 21, 2014 North Carolina

I get that folks gotta pay the bills, especially in this time where sales are down for draft businesses. That said... I'm too poor to shop at GCG.