Mystic Brewery - NE IPAs

Discussion in 'New England' started by HilltopBeer, Jun 26, 2017.

1. HilltopBeer

HilltopBeer Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts

Has anyone had any of Mystic's NE IPA's? I had Double Gravity recently and was blown away. I believe Mystic has been around for awhile now but haven't seen much chatter/hype. Has anyone been to their taproom? Worth the trip?

2. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (499) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Great beers, fun taproom (minus the big jenga). They get yeast/fermentation better than most (IMO), the IPAs carry the haze people want but have a depth that many others lack. But frankly, their best beer is Saison Renaud. And I wish Table Beer was on tap everywhere in Boston. It's a great session/warm weather beer.

Gushue3, SABERG, woodfinish and 2 others like this.
  3. Whitesavage

Whitesavage Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2016 Massachusetts

They have been brewing some really good IPAs in my opinion. They only have growler fills for IPAs. The taproom isn't huge but has a very nice atmosphere and they have a bunch of different beers on tap. You can order food from local restaurants "they have a list of them". All and all it is worth the trip to get some growler fills and try some of the different beers they are brewing. They do sell bottles of beers/ sours to go.

4. jimmyfausto

jimmyfausto Initiate (47) Jul 28, 2014 Massachusetts

Mystic has some really great IPAs...actually most of their beers are very enjoyable.

Went there Friday to try Post-Apocalyptic Xanadu (TIPA), and I felt it compared favorably to The Streets imo. Echo session ale was also a great low abv saison, that tasted both hoppy and maintained the saison taste, unlike some other local hybrid styles.

Unfortunately, we had to leave after two drinks because it was very hot on Friday and they had no AC (some fans, but were being hogged by a group). So beware of that in the summer months.

5. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (98) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Place is one of the more underrated or at least underhyped breweries in the north east considering what they churn out, IMO. They have good to great examples of most styles.

Cans would be really nice to see.

6. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (873) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Mystic has been making good beers for quite sometime now, but unfortunately you don't receive much chatter/hype until you brew a New England style IPA.

Absolutely worth the trip for all the reasons everyone above has stated. You have to try Ciao pizza that delivers there (last time I was there was a guy who worked there with an iPad taking orders). Sometimes I want to go there mainly for the pizza and the solid beer is just a bonus. Oh, you can also get flat bread and spread the Vermont butter they have for free (it used to be sitting on the bar in a giant ball under a plastic case, but I didn't see it last time).

Extra bonus: It doesn't get nearly the traffic of a Nightshift (not knocking those guys, love going there too), so you're not likely to have to wait in line or battle for a seat.

Ericness and rhino88888888 like this.
  7. lic217

lic217 Champion (828) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Table Beer is a mind blowing experience. So complex, smooth, and enjoyable...

8. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (274) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Maybe I just don't go to enough bars but Mystic seems underrepresented on Boston tap lists in general.

cdilisio likes this.
  9. NAPO

NAPO Initiate (191) Jan 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Inconsistency opaque them in the beer scene. They do brew some awesome Saisons but again, they are not consistent.

10. Kraftastic

Kraftastic Zealot (506) Jan 27, 2009 Massachusetts
    Premium

I disagree completely. I find them to be one of the most consistent breweries in the state. I've spent many hours in that taproom and have never had a bad beer.

What beers did you find inconsistent?

BAMF, lic217, jhavs and 1 other person like this.
  11. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (551) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

Mystic is a shameful hole in my brewery visit list given how close I live to them and how long they've been around. I generally associate them with Saisons, which I'm not really a fan of, so that's mostly why I've dragged my feet.

This thread is a good reminder that I should get off my ass and check them out.

12. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (324) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

They do everything well. Have since the start. One of my local favorites. IPAs get people to talk I guess. They have been putting out talk worthy beer well before though.

They are good but not the reason I go.

13. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,578) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Trader

I attend the two BA fests in Boston every year and our favorite stop while in town is almost always Mystic. Great food, good atmosphere, the take out Pizza from up the road is great. Never had an unpleasant time there. Its an easy spot to hang out for a while.

The IPA/DIPA they have in house/growler fills that I have tried have been above average. I think Bonus Life in particular was great.

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  14. DarthCerevisiae

DarthCerevisiae Initiate (48) Jan 13, 2016 Massachusetts

Ditto.
    Not sure when the last time you visited was.. Up until they bought the old HF system 2ish years ago they had the unfortunate situation of having to brew their wort in a separate facility and then ship it to the Chelsea to ferment, so yeah I can see some inconsistencies arising there and maybe that's where you formed that opinion. If you haven't been in a while I'd recommend the revisit.

TheBirdSanc and jhavs like this.
  15. rdecker679

rdecker679 Initiate (34) Oct 8, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Everyone just...shhhh...Mystic is one of the few havens left where you can actually go sit and always drink something great in a relaxed tap room, without a huge line.

I'm all for promoting someone doing great work, and wanting them to continue succeed, but I'm also selfish.

16. NAPO

Trader

The most recent ones I can remember were De Varenne (smelled and tasted like rotten cheese) and Freak Scene which is one of the worst beers I ever had. Really enjoyed Saison Renaud and Table Beer.

To be fair, it has been about a year and a half since I had any Mystic beers. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info, I will definitely give them another try.

17. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (370) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I still miss their Descendent Brown ale - a great beer, especially on bourbon barrels.

18. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (924) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Trader

Just wondering, do you normally like funky wild ales and/or gruits?

Similarly, I know people who thought Fernetical was undrinkable but I thought it was spot on with the experiment and very tasty.

DarthCerevisiae likes this.
  19. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (179) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

While we're singing Mystic's praises, the last batch of Ventus was a first rate BA wild ale. Still see bottles hanging out on better beer store shelves. Worth the $$$ IMO.

20. NAPO

Trader

I do enjoy barnyard/funky flavor. Not had much gruits to be honest, but I had one call Kyot I believe from the Netherlands and that one had a good profile of floral and honey notes.

21. DarthCerevisiae

DarthCerevisiae Initiate (48) Jan 13, 2016 Massachusetts

De Varenne is a wild ale (one of their earliest), and Freak Scene was a gruit that basically was a mistake that they ran with and made lemonade from lemons, so I can definitely understand a polarizing opinion there.
    Yeah, I would for sure get in there if it's been that long for you. Especially before pooping on them in threads :wink:

22. NAPO

Trader

I wasn't trying to shit on Mystic. Like I said, I just had quite a few bad experiences with some of their beers. I can understand why regulars would take it the wrong way, but I actually enjoy alot of their flagship stuff.

23. yoshie

yoshie Initiate (174) Oct 7, 2015 Massachusetts

Mystic is one of my top favorites after having lived in Boston for 5 years. After a handful of visits to Boston, my girlfriend told me that Mystic overtook Trillium for her #1 favorite brewery.
    They only recently started brewing more hoppy beers on a regular basis (probably within the last 12 months), which is probably why they've flown under the radar up til now. I wouldn't be surprised if they began to blow up in the next year or so, considering that the majority of their IPA/DIPA have been some of the best I've had and that the quality of those brews only continues to increase. It also goes without saying that their OG Belgian style beers are incredible. As good as their hop forward beers are, I hope they never give in completely to the hype surrounding their IPA/DIPA and let their focus on saison and other Belgians fall into the shadow.
    Anyways, I was chatting with one of the guys behind the bar a few weeks ago and mentioned how I had heard rumors about canning their hoppy beers. He confirmed and said that was a goal they had wanted to accomplish earlier this year, but ran into logistic problems. Apparently, the canning line they were considering requires a 40 BBL minimum of beer per canning run, but their current equipment doesn't allow for batches that large. He followed that up by saying they recently acquired (or are in the process of acquiring, I can't remember) a 40 BBL fermenter - hopefully, that means cans are in the very near future!

24. jimmyfausto

I imagine they'd take more of an Idle Hands approach instead of Monkish approach when it comes to their hoppy offerings. Can a hoppy beer or two every few weeks to get people in the door and open people's eyes to their more traditional offerings. They do have the quality to become an IPA line brewery, but I don't get the impression that they are clamoring for that.

mgp and yoshie like this.
  25. mgp

mgp Initiate (88) Jan 30, 2010 Massachusetts

Mystic is a gem, and the taproom is a great place to hang out.

And to add to jimmyfausto's post above: a few months back someone sent me an article entitled "How 4 Breweries Embraced IPAs Without Selling Out." Bear with me on the annoying title... Two of the 4 that were noted were Idle Hands and Mystic, and were both pretty explicit about their goals. Link.

“The demand for us to do IPAs in our taproom was overwhelming,” said founder and brewer Bryan Greenhagen. “The challenge at this point is to not allow the IPAs to take over, and to continue to develop our saison-directed mission. We figured we wouldn’t just make IPAs cynically to appease people, but rather make the best ones we could and make ones that we genuinely liked, as we do with all our beers.”

AlcahueteJ, jimmyfausto and jbertsch like this.
  26. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (256) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

I would hope they would can some saisons. Mystic makes damn good saisons and that style is hard to find when it comes to affordable and convenient formats.

skivtjerry, LeRose, jbertsch and 3 others like this.
  27. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (873) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I love it when I see Notch's saison in cans, Mystic's Table Beer would also be more than welcome in my fridge.

I love to have a flight with some higher gravity beers at their tap room (including their IPAs), but I typically end up having a full draft of Table Beer.

rhino88888888 and kinopio like this.
  28. jimmyfausto

Cans of Echo are here.

They also posted about Post-Apocalyptic Xanadu cans too. Two really good beers in my opinion.

29. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (499) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Was Xanadu the one that used lupulin powder? I wasn't a fan, had an acidic finish to it. I really like most of their other IPAs though. Quietly one of the best brewers around.

30. jimmyfausto

It did have 4 different hop powders in it. I didn't get the acidic finish that you did when I had it. I typically think that Triples are a bit too sweet/boozy, but I really liked Xanadu when I had it earlier this summer.

Unrelated: I just noticed Echo's label says it's a session IPA now, instead of a Citra/Mosaic saison. I hope they didn't mess with the recipe. Echo's a great amalgamation of hops and saison taste. Wonderful little beer.

31. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (188) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've always enjoyed their table beer whenever I come across it. I need to make a trek north of the city and do a little brewery hopping... I've waited too long

32. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (370) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Are the cans going out for distro, or selling in house for now? I haven't gotten much of their beer lately, but I really need to go back. I think part is the 750 bottle they use for most. I've gotten used to 12 / 16 oz cans recently...

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  33. mgp

They updated their website to include "cans to go."

Cans To Go!
    • Echo Session Ale- Saison dry hopped with Citra and Huell Mellon $14/4pk no case limit

http://www.mystic-brewery.com/taproom/

34. Chlodwig23

Chlodwig23 Initiate (85) May 14, 2009 Massachusetts

Post-Appocolyptic Xanadu is indeed the one dry hopped with 4 lupulin powers.

Echo recipe has not changed. Its is made with saison yeast but hopped like a session IPA. On the can labels we just went for clarity for the majority of people.

35. mgp

I swung by and grabbed some cans this afternoon. I was told the Xanadu is going fast. And the canning is going to be a twice-a-month thing going forward, with the beers rotating.

Next up is supposedly table beer! I can't wait to drink Table Beer by the can.

36. mgp

It looks like Danger! Danger! was next up... there goes my forum credibility.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. mnj21655

mnj21655 Meyvn (1,066) Apr 26, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

I heard that Table Beer was also part of this run but is being can conditioned so it won't be immediately available.

38. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (110) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

Thanks. That answers a question I had. Part of what makes their saisons so special is the refermentation in the serving vessel. My understanding is came can take up to 3vol of carbonation.

39. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (344) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I've never been to the brewery and I don't see much of their stuff since I moved out of the city, but I regularly used to pick up 750s of the Saison Renaud, Table Beer, or the seasonals (Mary of the Gael; Hazy Jane; Three Cranes), saisons all.

Remember their old Wigglesworth traditional ale series? The Welkin Ringer (an extra special bitter) was a fantastic brew and I wish it were still about.

40. prezhulio

prezhulio Initiate (28) Feb 23, 2016 Massachusetts

Stopped in Sunday and picked up danger danger and Xanadu cans.

I already put mystic in high regard because of their beautiful saisons, but these hoppy brews are crazy good. Not overdone maltiness with in your face hoppiness and high abv totally hidden. Worth picking up if you’re even mildly interested.

JonnyJuicebox, mgp and jimmyfausto like this.