Narragansett Summer 2015 - Not Again...

Discussion in 'New England' started by ljkeats, Mar 28, 2015.

1. ljkeats

ljkeats Aspirant (295) Jun 27, 2007 Massachusetts
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Well, bought my first (and probably last) six pack of 16oz cans of 2015 Gansett Summer yesterday. Is it me, or does this beer seem to get worse each release? Too bad, because the releases the first year or two were great.

I certainly hope that I found old beer instead if freshly released inventory, because this stuff (after pouring into a glass) is metallic tasting as anything I've ever had. Totally overpowers the beer hidden behind.

Code on the bottom of the cans:
    C105 1313:05

If the code above means I bought old beer, please let me know and I'll ask to have this thread removed. And then I'll go back to the shop where I bought it and let them know.

2. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (521) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I actual read that as the 105th day of 2013. But that's just a guess.

3. ljkeats

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of (old stock). But I took a look at a cans/codes in a second store, and they had the same code.
    Let's hope that the distributor isn't sending out 2 year old beer.

I'll see if I can find a code on the 12oz 12 packs next time I make a "packy-run".

I was wondering if the code might mean March 10, 2015 at 1:13 in the afternoon (with the C meaning March of course) -but who knows?

4. MVP09

MVP09 Devotee (417) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Another example of why breweries should just use a simple dating format. "Canned on 03/28/15" for example. Seems pretty effective to me

5. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (717) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

The 131st day of 2013 (jeez) sounds about right. I haven't seen this anywhere yet, sounds like old stock was pulled. I would go back and return them if you can (I've done it before). And also check other Narragansett offerings there and see if the code's are more up to date for comparison.

6. ljkeats

Got a reply to a tweet that said the first 3 numbers are day of the year, the 4th number is the year. Example given was A405 was February 10th, 2015.
    So, not old - just bad.

7. MVP09

MVP09 Devotee (417) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Didn't Gansett use to use Citra hops in their summer brew? Or was that Brooklyn?

8. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (288) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

They have since the beginning.

9. EnronCFO

Beer Trader

That still doesn't make sense for c105 though. Does that mean it's from Jan 10th? We haven't reached the 105th day yet.

10. ljkeats

I'm not sure what the C means, but yes, the 105 after it would make it January 10, 2015. At least as I read it and decypher it from the example I was given in a tweet (see my post above).

11. Horbar

Horbar Zealot (560) Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Circling the drain since they eliminated the porter. That Del's is probably one of the worst things I've had. And the IPA's??? Did anyone sample them before release??

MattXT likes this.
  12. EnronCFO

Beer Trader

The decline was inevitable. Reinvented a brand for marketing purposes. Still like the lager, but most others are novelties that seem to decline with each batch.

Horbar likes this.
  13. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (968) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Summer always seems to have a metallic flavor to it. Really odd that they manage to recreate it every year.

14. Beericjb

Beericjb Initiate (169) Jan 9, 2012 Connecticut

It could be that the letter represents the month like A would be January, B February, C March. I know Corona uses that code. So that would be March 10, 2015.

15. EnronCFO

Beer Trader

I was thinking the same thing. But jesus christ, just print the damn date!

GregMysticMayor likes this.
  16. LessThanHKY10

LessThanHKY10 Initiate (58) Apr 4, 2008 Rhode Island

I think this is correct. This is the 1st time I've seen the letters on the bottom, so definitely not old stock. Agree though, is it that hard to just print a canned on date?

17. Dools9

Dools9 Zealot (518) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Genesee recently switched to this julian format. C105 would be C=March 10=day if year (10th), 5=year (2015). They were canned March 10th, 2015 or roughly 3 weeks old. Thats a shame, this beer hasn't been the same since its release in 2011.

18. illpass78

illpass78 Meyvn (1,003) Aug 16, 2012 Maine

I'm a big fan of Gansett, but I've heard folks lodge this complaint for a couple years now. I'm also bummed they killed the cream ale. Bock and porter, too; they were so good at traditional styles.

19. fearfactory

fearfactory Disciple (354) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I try to support these local guys, but yeah, they ditch three of their best brews, and have slid into some gimmicky stuff. But traditionally, I tend to dislike any brewery's "summer" beer.

Dools9 likes this.
  20. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Meyvn (1,279) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

i actually have liked their recent specialties, the spring bock (maibock, green can) and the autocrat coffee milk stout in particular. even the del's shandy wasn't bad as a summer quencher. thus trips to trader joe's have had something a little extra to look forward to for most months of the year, for the past few years. but it seems they gave up on the bock and made a beeline for the increasingly crappy summer. and it's JUST THE FIRST WEEK OF SPRING!!!!

talk about shooting oneself in the foot... :angry::confused::slight_frown:

21. illpass78

Not to be a pest, but they've actually done the bock for decades. I'm annoyed it's gone, too. Good strong-ish all-weather lager.

suttonssuds likes this.
  22. ppoitras

ppoitras Poo-Bah (3,725) Jan 15, 2004 Massachusetts

Reading through this thread and wondering WTF they still have left after all the beers discontinued. Porter and Bock and Cream Ale gone?!?

illpass78 likes this.
  23. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

Judging by their Facebook page, just Lager, Summer, & Shandy.

24. ppoitras

ppoitras Poo-Bah (3,725) Jan 15, 2004 Massachusetts

Apparently they have abandoned updating the website too, since all past beers are still listed there, which was part of the confusion on my part. Even the Fest is gone? Oh well, there's plenty of other beer...

25. fearfactory

Beer Trader

Bohemian pils still rocks, the Octoberfest is decent, of course the milk stout, and had many RIS on draft this winter for $6 a pint til it kicked (thanks Smokey Bones).

Providence likes this.
  26. illpass78

Their current roster is lager, light, milk stout (almost gone, I'd bet), Boh pils, shandy and summer. They update more via Twitter, FB and Instagram than with their website.

27. PatriotsRule

PatriotsRule Aspirant (257) Sep 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Never been a big fan of the Summer, but the gf and I really enjoyed a few Del's Shandies last summer at the beach.

28. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (199) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

I love the bohemian pilsner.

Providence likes this.
  29. MarkGP

MarkGP Initiate (128) Jan 28, 2015 Rhode Island

Love this one!

[​IMG]

cheers55 and gansettbeer like this.
  30. AntG21

I too enjoyed some of those last year. Are they pretty much the same this year?

31. MarkGP

That was from last summer. I have not seen any on the shelves yet this year.

AntG21 likes this.
  32. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

They have the Bohemian Pilsner which people are seemingly overlooking. I see many complaints (understandable complaints) of the porter and bock going away, of the Del's really being terrible (it was awful) and of the summer being lousy, but few seem to mention the Bohemian Pils. I think Bohemian Pils is by far their best beer. I buy it all the time and enjoy it quite a bit. If they only made the Bohemian Pils I'd be happy.

AntG21 likes this.
  33. jamis

jamis Initiate (149) Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I saw a bunch of cases of Dell's Shandy already. I sure hope it wasn't from last year...

34. AntG21

It definitely had a nice maltiness that there other's lack.

35. LessThanHKY10

LessThanHKY10 Initiate (58) Apr 4, 2008 Rhode Island

2015 Summer ale and Del's are both out in force.

36. Dools9

Dools9 Zealot (518) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Its been out in most of MA for over two weeks now.

37. MarkGP

Nice! I will have to keep a look out for it.

38. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (554) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I have 17 cans of the case bought for me last year if anyone wants it! :-)

Seriously, out of the new shandies last year Harpoon big squeeze blew that out of the water and there were no cans of it available after May of last year. The first 12 pack of big squeeze I got a few weeks ago had a best by date technically BEFORE summer (6/15). This seasonal offset is ridiculous.

39. gansettbeer

gansettbeer Disciple (389) Jan 20, 2015 Rhode Island
    Premium Member Industry

Hi Neighbors! Team 'Gansett here. Just thought we'd jump in and help clarify some questions here.

Coding
    Every company is a bit different, and due to some changes we've needed to switch-up our code from how it has been done in the past. Sorry that it's a bit difficult to follow. ljkeats, your code was: C105 1313:05. The first letter represents the Month in chronological order. C is the 3rd letter of the alphabet and represents the 3rd month in the year (March). The next 2 numbers represent the day in the month (10), and the final number is the last number in the year (5=15). So this beer was canned on March 10th, 2015. The remaining numbers represent the time of day, the first 4 numbers are the exact time (1313 = 1:13pm) and the final 2 numbers represent the second (yes, we do go that far into detail). So to be exact, this beer was canned on 3/10/15 at 1:30pm and 5 seconds.

Again, apologies that it's not easier to follow. Maybe we'll put some info up on our site to help folks out that are trying to decipher as well.

Taste
    ljkeats, sorry you're not digging this year's batch. We do use citra hops and every year's harvest (with any hop) is a bit different, but the recipe certainly didn't change this year. In regards to the metallic taste, that certainly isn't the profile we're going for! We're sipping on a couple of cans canned on the very same day as yours now and we're not getting that issue. If you feel strongly about this, we'd like to take a closer look at your 6-pack if you still have it. We'd like to send it to QC for testing and analysis and see what's going on. Just shoot us a DM or email and we can work out how to get your cans to us.

Past Brews
    For those of you that are upset about some of our past brews going the way of the dodo... guess what, we are too. We're proud of those brews, but we also needed to free up some space for our new HP Lovecraft Series, which is a big passion project for us Lovecraft nerds. Innsmouth Olde Ale hits the week of the 20th!

Shameless self promotion aside, we actually have plans to bring these brews back on a slightly smaller scale when we get our new brewery up and running here in RI, but we sort of hit a snag there: yikes.

To The Rest
    Thanks for all the positive words! Stop by 60 Ship St. in Providence some time and chat with us!

Best,
    Team Gansett

40. fearfactory

Beer Trader

Hey, thanks for checking in and answering some questions! Glad to hear about some of the old line up, but not so much your troubles. Keep up the good work!

gansettbeer likes this.