Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Narrow Gauge Releases

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by HawksBeerFan, Nov 16, 2016.

1. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (241) Dec 24, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Figured this was worth opening a new thread for.

Anyone gotten to try Copra Commander yet? New Fallen Flag coming out tomorrow as well.

Last release I was at was OJ Run and the line moved beyond slow, hope they can come up with something better.

2. Budah

Budah Initiate (165) Feb 19, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I think that was the first time there really was a line, previously you just showed up anytime to fill up growlers but the word is getting out it seems.

3. devils3-way

devils3-way Initiate (167) Nov 2, 2016 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Will there be a line? I didn't expect it to be something ppl would line up for. I was just gonna swoop in and get some crowlers filled, but not really wanting to stand in line.

4. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (154) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Beer Trader

There was for OJ Run apparently. I like their beer, but not sure why there would be a line.

5. dhallengren

dhallengren Initiate (40) Feb 4, 2015 Iowa
    Beer Trader

It's strange, I've seen a lot more of their stuff up in FB groups for a steep mark up lately too...

6. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (241) Dec 24, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

It wasn't really a long line, the process of filling and distributing crowlers was really slow. When I showed up I went to the bar and ordered some, there were about ten people who had ordered crowlers prior to me. It took over an hour for me to get mine.

I guess it would be nice if they had a large number of crowlers already filled.

7. lemmy187

lemmy187 Defender (620) Feb 7, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Got there around 11:30 today. Place was busy, but got 3 crowlers and a pour and was out in 30 minutes. In case your wondering.....Apricot Fallen Flag could be their best offering yet.

8. devils3-way

devils3-way Initiate (167) Nov 2, 2016 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Went at lunch, so there were quite a few people in there, but nothing you wouldn't expect for lunchtime. Had crowlers filled in 30 minutes.

9. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,986) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I was also there for lunch yesterday. People were coming and going the whole time, but no one waited overly long for crowler fills especially considering most people ordered 2-4 crowlers. Grab a beer and relax for a bit.

Mordecai was still great, Apricot fallen flag was not my favorite, but I don't like the addition of fruit into my IPAs. Copra Commander though, was incredible. Really enjoyed that one.

10. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Meyvn (1,140) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Narrow Gauge will be releasing Zavtrak this Saturday. Zavtrak is a Russian Imperial Stout aged on cacao nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon, maple syrup, and coffee.

MLDucky, lemmy187 and mumbles44 like this.
  11. HawkeyeBeerLover

HawkeyeBeerLover Initiate (169) Jun 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Crowlers or bottles? Might have a buddy send me some.

12. FBarber

Narrow Gauge is only draft or growlers/crowlers directly from the brewery.

MLDucky and HawkeyeBeerLover like this.
  13. MLDucky

MLDucky Defender (625) Oct 12, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Ooooh, that sounds delicious, I might need to seek this one out in the trade forum. Along with those IPA, hah.

14. HawkeyeBeerLover

Beer Trader

Which particular IPAs should I ask for?

15. FBarber

@HawkeyeBeerLover - Hoppy Meal is my favorite and is currently on tap. Oast #5 and All the Citrus were also very good. Really, you can't go wrong with any of their options.

HawkeyeBeerLover likes this.
  16. HawkeyeBeerLover

Beer Trader

Nice, thank you! That's what I've heard as well but mostly hearsay. It's nice to get a first hand account :slight_smile:

FBarber likes this.
  17. Jonc

Jonc Initiate (151) Feb 12, 2007 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I stopped in tonight (Friday about 6:30PM or so) and the place was pretty packed. Not one parking spot and the parking overflowed into the paint store next to it.

I was still able to walk up to the bar and get some goodies with zero wait, here is a picture of them below. While I was there I did notice them filling other growlers so it looks like they are keeping pretty busy with the beer. The food I have had has been great; I can only say I've eaten there about 3 times and had a burger or sandwich each time. I'll branch out next trip and try something different.

By the way, they have had some pictures of barrels on the Facebook page. I asked about them and the waitress said they have a whole basement full of em'. Said they are going to make some stouts. That's about all the info I could get other than at this point they will serve this beer on draft at the bar. Didn't sound like they are going to bottle it. It was busy and I didn't want to take up her time with twenty questions.

I live about 20 miles or so from NG and the drive can be a pain in traffic. If I were an out-of-towner, this place would be at the top of the list. A must see.

[​IMG]

FBarber and leroybrown10 like this.
  18. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,099) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yep, all required additives accounted for. :wink:

19. tim28

tim28 Disciple (301) Nov 30, 2008 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Zavtrak release today was awesome! Narrow Gauge rules.

20. MKENEWB

MKENEWB Initiate (133) Mar 16, 2016 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

21. leroybrown10

Beer Trader

2 crowlers per person.

22. Jonc

Subscriber Beer Trader

Well...they have two separate bars...

On another subject does anyone notice these beers are much better a little bit on the warm side instead of right out of the fridge? The beer served at NG are the proper temp as far as I can tell. Someone is keeping an eye on it. Then again, I like most beer on the warm side.

#22 Jonc, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  23. leroybrown10

Beer Trader

I'm not sure what you mean. What does having 2 bars have to do with the 2 crowler limit?

24. Jonc

Subscriber Beer Trader

Kind of a joke, sort of.

Well, the two bars are in different parts of the bldg...you can walk up to one of the bars and get your fills, walk out and put them in your vehicle and then walk back in to the other bar and get a couple more. Different staff at each bar.

No, I haven't done this, but I'm sure someone has. I don't want to be a jerk and respect them. More beer for someone else who may have traveled a long ways.

Funny, I just unscrewed the top on a growler of Hoppy Meal. I'll stick by my comment about temps...to me this stuff just comes alive as it warms. Wonderful stuff.

I went on a 40 mile bicycle ride today and wanted to check out Side Project. I had never been there. I had trouble at first finding the place, they have no signs or anything...someone walked up to me and asked me if it was Side Project, I said maybe!! They did have a couple barrels outside which tipped me off. Sure enough, no bicycle parking at all and not much of anything to lock the bike up to. Not a place to leave a bike around if you can't keep an eye on it. Rode down the street to Schlafly and had a couple.

Jon

#24 Jonc, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  25. leroybrown10

Beer Trader

Ahh, gotcha. At least for Zavtrak, they were only selling it on the right side. Long line and they were marking hands(which I know isn't perfect) so the 2 crowler limit was enforced.

26. Jonc

Subscriber Beer Trader

I've never been there for a release like that. I'm happy for them, they are in the business to make money and they quickly sell everything they make (as far as I can tell) which means fresh product.

It's a shame that they have to mark people's hands. All honesty is gone. If people respected the wishes of the brewery it would not be a problem. I'm about 20 miles away from them...if I ever arrive and have to get my hand stamped to buy some beer, I'll just go elsewhere. Hand stamping is for juveniles, not adults. Hopefully the parking lot doesn't start smelling like piss from the long lines.

27. Jeffh97

Jeffh97 Aspirant (277) Jan 18, 2012 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I am right there with you. I absolutely hate being written on and hate that we had to do this. I can assure you this won't become a standard thing. With the sensitivity of everything and an overwhelming turn out on Saturday we felt this was the right thing to do. We have never marked hands for limits on OJ Run(the only beer we really have a limit on consistantly) because it seems most people are honest about it and its not like we have a line out the door waiting on it. Pretty much all of our beers last for days to go if not weeks. With Zavtrak we knew that wouldn't be the case when we opened Saturday. So if someone wants to be dishonest and walk out the door and come back in and buy more that is on their conscience.

evilcatfish and lemmy187 like this.
  28. leroybrown10

Beer Trader

You and your crew did great on Saturday. Well organized and efficient from everything I saw. Zavtrak is a great beer and the Hoppy Meal crowler I got was fantastic as well. Looking forward to trying more of your stuff. Cheers!

Jeffh97 likes this.
  29. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (622) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I went yesterday for lunch with some fam and Zavtrak was still flowing (not to go though) and it was an excellent brew. Also, between the beer, meatball app and black/bleu burger I'm pretty sure I gained 5 pounds while there. Always great food in a very relaxed, non snooty environment

FBarber and Jeffh97 like this.
  30. Jeffh97

Jeffh97 Aspirant (277) Jan 18, 2012 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks! We prepared as best as we could and I am happy with how the staff handled something we had no clue what it would be like going into it. Last thing I want is people having a bad experience in correlation to our beers.

Cheers!
    Jeff

leroybrown10 likes this.
  31. Bmreuss

Bmreuss Initiate (44) Aug 27, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

They had the bathrooms open at 8am. They also brought out doughnuts for the people who arrived early. It was very smooth for their first release. I didn't mind getting my hand written on, it has become the norm at major releases.

32. Jonc

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm probably a little different than most; I just like to drink the beer for myself (wife doesn't do beer). Although I have the trader badge, I have never made a trade. I read these other threads about these releases across the country and it just kind of makes me cringe. I would expect better but oh well, many don't know what good manners are anymore. Add some booze to someone that has no manners and we all know what happens.

One of these days, I'll make it to one of your releases and I won't complain about being stamped:slight_smile:. Maybe I am missing out on some fun, I won't know unless I check it out.

Glad you had the bathrooms open and doughnuts! You have a loyal customer here and see you soon.

33. SaucerfulOfSecrets

SaucerfulOfSecrets Initiate (166) Jul 13, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Peach OJ Run came out today. It's fire!

4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  34. HawkeyeBeerLover

Beer Trader

Omg that sounds insane. Now I just have to find a friend to get me one haha.

I had their Hoppy Meal and the Cloud City and they were great. This brewery is going places.

35. MKENEWB

MKENEWB Initiate (133) Mar 16, 2016 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm heading down tomorrow..

36. HawkeyeBeerLover

Beer Trader

Madison but I'll be up in baraboo until the evening.

37. ryno0384

ryno0384 Initiate (62) Apr 11, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Will be at Narrow Gauge next Thursday. You expect Peach OJ run to still be on tap then? Unsure if most of their draft offirings last at least a few weeks or not? Thanks for any information

FBarber likes this.
  38. FBarber

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say you'll probably still be able to get it and even crowlers on Thursday. Although Narrow Guage is awesome, they still kind of fly under the radar a bit and they have the advantage of not being located in the crazy beer city of Chicago.

ryno0384 likes this.
  39. ryno0384

ryno0384 Initiate (62) Apr 11, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just called and they are already done doing growler/crowlers fills of peach OJ run. However, draft is still available

HawkeyeBeerLover likes this.
  40. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (154) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Beer Trader

It will be out within the next few days then.

FBarber likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.