Nashville beer info

Discussion in 'South' started by CoolEthan, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Disciple (378) Jan 9, 2013 California

Anyone want to fill me on the do's & dont's? I'll be in town this weekend staying in the downtown area. Any advice will be much appreciated. Cheers!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  2. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (584) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Good Bars/Restaurants: I would recommend The Pharmacy and Flying Saucer
    Good Stores: I would recommend Frugal McDougals and Midtown Liquors
    Good Brewery: I would recommend Yazoo

Also if you like good BBQ, I would recommend Jack's BBQ, it is right by the Bridgestone arena

CoolEthan likes this.
  3. CoolEthan

Thank you sb!

4. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (584) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

No problem, have fun!

5. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Savant (924) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

Broadway Brewhouse seems to always have something good on tap, and their Jerk Chicken Pizza is recrunkulous.

CoolEthan likes this.
  6. oe8000

oe8000 Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2006 Tennessee

Yazoo Brewery's taproom is close to downtown and has tours Saturdays, not open late so check the hours. Peg Leg Porker has the best ribs in town, near Yazoo. Try a pint from Calfkiller Brewery, probably on tap at Broadway Brewhouse or Flying Saucer.
    Craft Brewed a few miles south of downtown but it's the best one stop shop for bottle selection and pints/growlers.

CoolEthan likes this.
  7. beerfoodlodging

beerfoodlodging Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Tennessee

I'll assume you have a car.

I like M.L. Rose a lot on Saturday afternoons for burgers and football; it's a few miles from downtown and essentially across the street from Craft Brewed (definitely worth a visit). The servers don't know a lot about the beer, but they have lots of good locals on, including the new ones (Black Abbey and TN Brew Works). Black Abbey Jude is quite good, but I didn't enjoy their Rose very much. They should have a new keg on at M.L. Rose by this weekend. I also enjoy Turtle Anarchy's Portly Stout and Rye.

Yazoo and Jackalope are close to downtown and offer tours/taproom hours on Saturdays.

I believe Flying Saucer's Beer Feast is this Saturday. If you are not interested in that, I would probably avoid the bar on Saturday.

On the East side, a few miles from downtown, the only brewery is Fat Bottom, which has mediocre beer but really good food. Next door is Edley's, which has good BBQ and awesome local/regional taps (Good People from AL). A little further east is Village Pub, which is a good neighborhood bar with local taps.

You should also try hot chicken while you are in town. Pepperfire is a good bet (east side); if you want beer to accompany your meal, you should try Hattie B's, which is near Vanderbilt.

CoolEthan likes this.
  8. TheBeerAlmanac

Trader

Regarding bottle shops, Grace's Wine & Spirits seems to have really good reviews here, but a lot of recommendations have pointed towards Craft Brewed. For anyone that has frequented both, how do they compare to each other? I'm trying to find a better selection of hard-to-gets than Midtown if I can.

tronto likes this.
  9. beerfoodlodging

I haven't been to Grace's in a long time, so take this for what it's worth. Craft Brewed has a very good selection of high-gravity, especially imports. I was impressed with their European imports selection. The low-gravity selection is also good. I'm not sure exactly which hard-to-find beers you're looking for (do we even get that many?).

10. TheBeerAlmanac

Trader

I guess just stuff you may not find at Midtown or Frugal's because everyone has picked through it. I'm going to be in Nashville this weekend, too, I'll probably hit up both and if I have budget leftover, I'll make the obligatory trip to Midtown.

11. CoolEthan

Thank you for all the great advice! If you see a guy stumbling around drunk wearing an Alpine hat this weekend say hi!

creepinjeeper and TheBeerAlmanac like this.
  12. jbrana

jbrana Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2012 Tennessee

Grace's Wine & Spirits was once a great place to buy bottles, but their beer guy left and their selection diminished when they recently relocated to a smaller location. Probably not worth your time.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  13. beerfoodlodging

Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

14. TheBeerAlmanac

Trader

Anything worthwhile and not in KY distro. I just stopped into Craft Brewed and got some new Terrapin, a ST Warlock, Victory Twelve, Green Bullet, some locals and a few others. Stopped by Midtown just for comparison and left with nothing. Craft Brewed was a good suggestion.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  15. beerfoodlodging

I'm glad! You guys don't get Straight to Ale yet, do you?

16. TheBeerAlmanac

Trader

We don't, I did see it on the shelves though. I've heard of them but nothing specific that I can recall. Any of their's I should pick up?

17. beerfoodlodging

Vern's Wheat Wine or Unobtanium (old English ale). I think Vern's Wheat Wine might be the only one of those out right now. There's also a smoked Doppelbock that is not very widely available but is good. We did their beer dinner last craft beer week, and it was amazing.

18. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Thanks for making this post! Planning a trip to Nashville in October. Craft Brewed, Yazoo and hot chicken sound like a must!

19. TheBeerAlmanac

Trader

Ended up grabbing a Vern's for the room last night, very good recommendation. Probably the best beer I had all trip.

20. beerfoodlodging

Glad you enjoyed it! Compares very favorably to Smuttynose's version, in my opinion, and it's a style that isn't widely available.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  21. Volntitan

Volntitan Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 Tennessee

I'm not a fan of Flying Saucer because I think their food is just ok. I prefer 12 South because while they may not have as many taps, what they do have is really good and their food is very good as well.

New taproom opening this week also, Black Abbey. Their beers are very good from what I've had.

As far as places to get hard to find stuff, the really good bottle shops like Midtown, Craft Brewed, Red Dog and Bottle Shop already have the reputation so will be picked thru. Finding those small non-beer liquor stores that might still have stuff sitting on the shelves is the real issue.

22. jbrana

jbrana Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2012 Tennessee

12 South Taproom is overpriced in my opinion, and I personally feel that their food is awful. Flying Saucer's food isn't exceptional, but it's above average for a bar. Midtown and Frugal are you best shot at getting anything obscure or hard to find as they not only get everything, they get the largest quantities of everything. Yes, they probably get shopped more than other stores in town, but their supply is beyond adequate. I wouldn't recommend Red Dog or Bottle Shop as their beers are typically old and past their prime (Especially IPAs), and the owner of Red Dog (Who is the father of the Bottle Shop owner) is adamantly outspoken against wine and high grav beer in grocery stores (As well as gas stations, corner stores, etc).

23. Volntitan

Volntitan Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 Tennessee

I would say 99% of every liquor store owner is opposed to wine in grocery stores. If that is a reason not to shop somewhere, I'm sure the owner of Midtown isn't a big supporter of wine in grocery stores.

I frequent both stores alot and never gotten an older bottle. Are there occasionally some left over stuff, sure. Most stores have that, but I know if I go to any store now and see a 6 pack of Celebration Ale that is likely isn't fresh. Everyone is different, but I've never liked Frugal's...I just don't think their high grav side has a great selection.

I like 12 South's food and so do most everyone I know and never found it pricey, but like before, everyone is different. I've just never been blown away by the Saucer. Nothing wrong with it, but just don't like their food selection...plus I just don't go there much. Probably a hold over when it used to be a huge smokey mess there. Since I live in Franklin, I generally go to CSB, Mellow or TA for my beer drinking/food.

24. rundownhouse

rundownhouse Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2005 Tennessee

Wow, this is unusual for me: I think that 12South's food is above average - and everyone I know agrees - and that Saucer's food is either pedestrian or below average - and everyone I know agrees. WRT price, that's just as subjective as taste, but I haven't found the average 12S lineup to be out-of-line expensive. Pretty normal, going to reasonable/good during their daily specials. It does get super crowded at peak hours, and there's 0% attention paid to sound management, so I wouldn't bother going if I wanted to have a conversation or at 7PM on a Friday.

A word of warning to all: ordering the "nachos" at Flying Saucer will result in a plate of 10-12 tortilla chips carefully plated with toppings, almost like potato skins.

25. nophunk

nophunk Aspirant (228) Nov 27, 2011 Louisiana
    Trader

I think I'm making a last minute work trip tomorrow. I read this thread and a couple others. I think Craft Brewed looks pretty sweet after peeping their facebook page. I know they got new seasonal Sweetwater and Brown Shugga, so that makes me think maybe they have new Terrapin possibly. Also being able to fill growlers would be sweet. If anyone has seen anything interesting at other stores recently, let me know please!

26. beerfoodlodging

If you see any of the barrel-aged Laikas from Straight to Ale, they're a good bet. Bottle only, as far as I know. Schlafly's Tasmanian IPA is also really good.

27. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Zealot (586) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Glad this thread popped up. I'll be there for a Bach party next weekend. Im pumped

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.